Matching surround bipole for KPT-535

Ivaols

Hi

I'm using a pair of Klipsch KPT-535 as front speakers in my home cinema and a Heresy III as center. Over several years I have used bipole speakers for surround, and lately a pair of Cornwall III. My conclusion is that bipole is preferred and hence the Cornwall was sold yesterday. 

Have any of you experience with matching surround speakers with KPT-535? I'm thinking of both bipole speakers from the pro line and from the consumer line.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2018_0819_20533400.jpg

Edited by Ivaols
Spelling

I try to refrase the question. Does anyone have experience with the pro dipole surround speakers within the mentioned distances? 

Does anyone have experience mixing surround speakers from the consumer line with pro speakers as front speakers? 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Klipsch Employees

W.D.S.T

Klipsch Wide Dispersion Surround Technology surround speakers take a different approach to surround coverage than dipole and bipole surrounds. 

A  Dipole models place drivers out of polarity to create a null on one axis of the speaker.  It is popular to sit in the null, thus the loudest sounds come from indirect radiation from the speaker.  A dipole, used in this manner creates a diffuse and non-localized rear sound field.

1)  Some drawbacks to dipole surrounds include that the rear sound field is not confined to the rear.  As much radiation is radiated forward as rearward. 

2)  A dipole also depends on other surfaces in the room to reflect the sound to the listener. 

3)  A dipole can only create a diffuse rear sound field.

4)  Finally, a dipole is very inefficient at low frequencies, as the out of phase bass cancels.

B   Bipole models place drivers on several faces, with the idea that the radiation is equal in all directions, like a point source. 

1)  The problem is that the drivers interact, and actually radiate sound very erratically, with a different frequency response in each direction. 

2)  The sound field created is not coherent and as a result is not very realistic.

C)  Klipsch WDST surrounds are very much like a professional concert array.  The high frequencies, made directional by the horn, are arrayed at the proper angles to provide even coverage, or with the same frequency response in all directions.  The single woofer is crossed over where it is omni directional, thus creating a system that truly radiates sound equally in all directions. 

1)  WDST models provide balanced direct and reverberant sound field to listeners.  Since the response is the same in all directions, the reverberant sound filed reaching the listeners from other directions, is balanced spectrally with the direct sound, creating a coherent, realistic rear sound field. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and thanks for the replys. I totally forgot about this thread after a while.

Anyway, I was thinking about and referring to dipole speakers. Since I started the thread I got a pair of floor standing speakers for free witch does a good job as surrounds and for now I will not prioritize new surrounds.