Your Top 3 Receivers and Why?

Gclayton

OK; will save you some money :D with a couple of "vintage" receivers. And ... with the speakers you have and the small room size anything over 50W/ch is overkill.

* Marantz 2252B (52W/ch, warm sound, reliable - $400-$700) ... or 2275, etc.

* Yamaha CR-820 or CR-1020 (50-70W, natural sound, solid construction - $300-$600)

Cheers, Emile

OK; correction. Above is for 2 channel stereo.  For surround just get a Marantz SR6012 or similar.  Check accessories4less.com :D 

• Like 1

I'll slip into this for a couple minutes and maybe explain or not explain a bit more.  I don't know if you've ever had Klipsch speakers before but they are very efficient speakers.  It doesn't take 10k watts of RAW power (lolol) to run them.  You asked the question and you got some great answers from these guys.  They're ALL trying to help you out in their own way.  The top 3 is a tough question to answer because everyone hears things differently and with your speakers being as efficient as they are it doesn't take a $2k system to drive them.  $1k is a great starting point but beware it's truly a slippery slope w/gear.  Try hitting some of the retailers like BestBuy and listening to some of the gear.  That might help explain things more.  See what they tell you and try to keep things in YOUR perspective.  SHOP the sites they posted and check prices.  $50 is $50.  Yea, I'm also relatively new here and these guys know what they're talking about...  Stick around and read.  Look in the garage sale section of the forum you might find just what you need.  It's all good in here!  Well, maybe!  I hope that helped ya man...    😂 😂 😂

9 hours ago, Gclayton said:

What are your top 3 receiver brands or models and why? 

7 hours ago, Gclayton said:

$1k ish 

10 x 16 ish

5 hours ago, willland said:

Any of the mid level and up AVRs from the likes of Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, should meet your needs in that size room.

Bill

I put those two options out there because I am a fan of Audyssey room calibration and and Denon and Marantz are known for having pretty powerful amps. I am also a Pioneer Elite fan but I haven’t owned one of their newer models, within the last few years.

You will have to do some research to figure out what brand and model receiver you like the best. With that size of a room, power won’t be an issue so focus on the features and the sound characteristics. 

• Like 3

The mention receivers are all good.  Can't say one brand is better than the others.  Research the feature that you want.  Some of the receivers have discrete amps.  This is different than some cheaper receivers.  A 125 watt receiver with all channels driven may  outputting 35-40 watts per channel.  With a discrete 125 amps in the receiver it will be closer to the 125 watts.The Pioneer room correction is also very good.  There receivers allow a lot of tweaking post calibration which allows you to adjust to taste.

5 hours ago, K5SS said:

If that were my budget, I would seriously be considering either of these fine units: (Denon 4400 and Marantz 7012)

+1 to both choices.  Both are known to work well with Klipsch.

In general the Denon is considered better for HT, in general the Marantz is considered better for music.  Both sound pretty good.  The Marantz has better components and is better technically, but it's also more expensive than it's Denon cousin, both of which share the same parent company.

I have the Marantz 6011 and it works very well with my Klipsch RF-83, RC-6400 and RS-62.  It can run up to 9 speakers without needing an external amp but in my living room with TV I prefer 3.1, 5.1 at the most.

+++

BTW all the other suggestions I've seen posted are solid choices by reputation.  I haven't heard them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony STR-K750P (2003 - 2005) -- my first 5.1 Digital Receiver -- (Oddly i still have it in storage, but last i checked, it still works) very Entry level receiver, but did the job

Pioneer VSX-515 (2005 - 2006) -- first 6.1 receiver (DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX)  sold it to a friend..to this day, still running without issues)

Denon 2307CI (2006 - 2012) -- first with HDMI and 7.1 output. Used PS3 to decode the high res audio via LPCM -- (It's new home is at the family business being used daily to drive 7 speakers -- still working like a champ)

Onkyo TX-NR818 (2012-2018) -- first receiver with DTS Neo:X 9.2 (failed DTS product unfortunately; not to be confused with the new DTS:X ) -- The HDMI board recently died (apparently a common issue with Onkyo older receivers?), instead of seeking to repair, i decided to go Atmos route and 4k HDMI compatible

Denon X4400h (2018-Current) -- Just purchased it, so no long term here, but first to have Dolby Atmos and 4k support

I was nearly set to purchase the new Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 (9.2) as it had the pre-outs, enabling to decode 11 channels with an external amp (which i already have). At MSRP $1000 , it is the best current budget receiver i think. (Pioneer is now owned by Onkyo by the way)

However, due to the upcoming Denon X4500h, I noticed 2017-2018 Denon X4400h was on sale for $900 almost everywhere locally and on the net (from its $1600 MSRP price). It was a no brainer for me to order it, especially since my old Denon is still living and was wonderful in my theater room.

Per personal experience:

1. Denon

2. Pioneer Elite series (mostly because best bang for your buck)

3. Onkyo (their sound and material quality is very good. But the HDMI board failing with very light use of the stereo in 5-6 years was a turn off for me)

I've owned a Yamaha motorcycle and instruments, but never a receiver. I hear nothing but good things about them though. They just never happen to be on sale whenever i am in need of a receiver.

• Like 1