Your Top 3 Receivers and Why?

Gclayton

If the inputs work for you, I'd look at a HK *30 unit (I think it's 430, 730, 930 or something similar)

I'll admit I've never had one but they get stellar reviews as a real sleeper.  

I keep thinking I'd like to get one but I use XLR connectors so I bite my tongue and pass on them when I see them for sale.

I only have experience with Denon. The Audessy room correction (x32) is great. Per channel, auto AND manual configuration is critical.  They also have an app that allows even more per channel control, which I will buy.  Also be aware of your connectivity e.g. unbalanced vs balanced and if you have an external DAC you want to keep. I am padantic re cabling and I like the layout of Denon/Marantz connectors all in line at bottom of receiver so I can use angled banana plugs in a nice clean line or straight connectors to horizontal patch panel.  Assignable configurations per input device is also very useful. I actually have ended up by passing the DAC on my Denon for music in preference for both my CD player, music server and external DAC.   I use the external CD, music server and DAC for music then straight HDMI for movies.

A preamp/power amp or “music only” integrated amp is in my future but I started with flexibility and configuration as key priorities.

Get a Marantz and call it a day. Id recommend the 7011 if you can find it under 1k. I have the 7012 and it is phenomenal and has tons of options for customizing the sound to exactly what YOU like. I have used Pioneer elite in the past and although a great receiver it didnt sound as good to ME. Which at the end of the day is the real point with all these posts.  You will have to listen to the receiver in your house with your speakers to see if you will like it or not...All the brands mentioned are excellent choices you just have to figure out which one works best for you.

I’m looking at these for a new receiver:

Arcam avr850

Marantz 8012

Anthem 1120

Nad 777 v3

Why? I was looking for something other than audyssey to try like Dirac or Anthem room correction. I always heard great things about Klipsch and Marantz so I have that on my list as well. Maybe one day I’ll get one and can expand on my experience with it.

But it for now I have an Onkyo 805 and it is high on my list of all time favorite receivers. It has Audyssey XT and great power. I also had a Harman Kardon 745 and it had a nice warm sound. I would have kept it if not for the quality issues with it. 

6 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

I’m looking at these for a new receiver:

Arcam avr850

Marantz 8012

Anthem 1120

Nad 777 v3

I would go with the NAD or Anthem based on my experience with the brands but I am sure the Marantz and Arcam will do the music and HT trick also.

Bill

• Thanks 1

The Sherbourn SR-120 is easily my favorite. In fact it would be my top three choices....since I own four of them. 77 lbs of brute force. If you don't need 4k or Atmos this receiver will do everything else you ask, and do it well. Bench tested at 125 wpc across the front three channels and 75 wpc for the other four this receiver is fantastic. I had a $1700 Yamaha prior to these and I damn near crapped myself when I heard such a stark contrast. The on board Twin Cirrus DAC is flawless and the detail is second to none. Dialogue is crystal clear and I have everything I need in easy to program terms. Every channel can be fine tuned with their customizable EQ. All of the surround modes up to TrueHD and DTSMAster Audio. Original MSRP was $3500 and you can find them under $500 now. I liked the sound so much I actually went with it's twic processor and Emotiva amps to put together my separates in both home theater and two channel. You won't be disappointed if you find one!

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/sherbourn-sr-120-av-receiver/

5 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

Do you have any experience with Dirac? Is the nad a warm sound that compliments Klipsch? 

No experience with Dirac.  I own and have owned many NAD pieces and would say their sound signature is more warm than bright but really close to neutral.  If 1 is warm and 10 is bright, then I would say 4 is NAD.  Very balanced sound that has mated very well with all my Klipsch speakers.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have Forte II fronts, academy center, mirage LF-150, KSB3 rears connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-91. I did use the Mcacc pro calibration and I do have to say it sounds pretty good. I would recommend any Pioneer elites probably. I also have used a Yamaha RX-A660 and that also sounded very good. The pioneer does have more power with its class d amplifier and with the calibration it sounds pretty flat and no peaks in frequency.
I would conclude with pioneer elite, Yamaha aventage or Marantz.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk