NFL - 2018

Jeff Matthews

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

Well now they can't claim undefeated on the road, still wouldn't mess with Medea.

Figured it would happen sooner or later, it would be hard to go 10+ games without thinking it's easy, until you find someone who wants it more.

At least it was not Atlanta. 

I didn't see the game but saw some of the blown calls by the officiating crew.  Definitely looked like some home cooking going on.

• Moderators

There was but on both sides, cowboys were penalized more but they still missed a bunch both ways.

I always thought if you threw a flag to challenge and won the review you never lost that challenge ability later, but not true. Once you challenge you lose that challenge no matter what, one of the many things about the rules I didn't know.

10 minutes ago, Deang said:

“Best officiating crew in the NFL with over 140 years of combined experience.”

Dude was hit in the head so hard he was sniffing an ammonia capsule on the sideline to stay conscious. 

Another one I saw was a reception by Beasley that was awarded a first down and he was a yard short.  It seems to me that if it's so obvious to everyone at home and in the booth that they could find a way to make the right call.  Maybe they need a ref in a recliner watching the broadcast.

Yeah, that was terrible too.  

They have the technology, they should use it. 

And just like College ball, go back and look at the tackles, and eject anyone that “targets”. Yeesh, all they have to do is step back and luck at the damn Jumbotron.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe they need a ref in a recliner watching the broadcast.

Not a bad idea, things happen really fast on the field and a few people can't see everything. 

Instead of way too many reviews what about a few people watching who could radio the refs when it's obvious there is a bad call or no call when it should be. It would slow down the game a little but would make it better for the obvious calls that could change the outcome of a game. It could be done really quickly and make it fair for both teams. They already go to people for officials reviews so what are these people doing when they see something wrong happening but no official call for them to review, do they do nothing even if they see a problem?

It's not like the tax-exempt NFL can't afford to do this.

Tons of empty seats in all venues now with stupid high prices and whinny millionaires and people discovering all those things they used to do when they had a life pre-football actually are more rewarding when you get right down to it. I see the same with hockey and basketball as the prices are just over the top on the whole thing.

48 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Are you kidding?  He's eating caviar and sushi....

I've been in those corporate boxes.  They serve egg rolls, chicken fingers, nachos, etc.  Just the same old frozen food snacks you and I eat, too.  Plus, they watch the game on flat screen TV's because, "Who wants to watch ants play the game?"  I don't know why they didn't build these expensive boxes at the field level.

Yes, there were some missed calls in the Cowboys/Saints game, but it wasn't one-sided.  In fact, from my seat the calls seemed to favor the Saints.  Cowboys had 8 penalties called against them and Saints had 5.  While the Cole Beasley play and Jaylon Smith hit to the head were missed calls, don't forget the missed calls that favored the Saints (such as the non-call on the pass interference on the Saints touchdown, the non-call on the facemask on Dak Prescott, and the very questionable offsides call on Randy Gregory that negated a sack/fumble that was recovered by Dallas).  This seems to have been the theme of this season.  A few weeks ago against Philadelphia, the Eagles had zero penalties called against them -- Dallas won anyway.

Bottom line -- Dallas played better than the Saints and the game really wasn't as close as the score indicated.  If you watch the game and are objective, you'll come to that same conclusion.  I wasn't surprised that Dallas won but it was surprising that the Dallas defense was able to dominate like they did.

I once sat near a Houston media member back when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls in the 1990s and he started talking about the Cowboys next game, which happened to be a home game.  He then incredulously questioned why the Cowboys always seemed to be playing at home.  Every NFL team plays the same number of home and away games -- he should've known that.

And can we stop using the term "Cowgirls" -- it's not very creative and quite frankly is juvenile.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JMON said:

Bottom line -- Dallas played better than the Saints and the game really wasn't as close as the score indicated.

WHAT   OK your right, considering the turnovers during the game and overall play to only win by a few points, if you only looked at the score you would have no idea how it was really played, the score is very deceiving and they could have added 7 more if they wanted at the end. 

If the Cowboys defense can play like that the rest of the year they will be in good shape. 

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'd hate to see the Commish give up part of his 50 million a year salary!

That's just crazy, I thought they were going to go with someone else when his contract expired but it was voted on and he kept his job, somehow? 

Like everything else the money is their first concern, the number of Tv commercials is ridiculous, when at a game live there is alot of time the game is stopped and the players stand around waiting for the commercial to end to start the next play.

2 hours ago, JMON said:

And can we stop using the term "Cowgirls" -- it's not very creative and quite frankly is juvenile.

It's better than other names, like the Cowpies, juvenile, yes but it can be funny. The NFL loves it, anything to get fans fired up about one of their franchises= more $ all the way around from fanatic fans. 

Yes, I'm obviously a Cowboys fan.  But even with that, I don't like seeing bad calls even when it benefits my team.  The referees are human and mistakes are going to be made.  The NFL game is so fast that it's actually amazing that they don't miss more calls than they do.  It's easier for us to see the errors on replay and slow-motion.  As long as the missed calls aren't one-sided, they usually offset each other.  If missed calls don't determine the outcome of a game, I can live with them even if that means my team loses.  An unearned victory is not very satisfying.

9 hours ago, dtel said:

It's better than other names, like the Cowpies, juvenile, yes but it can be funny. The NFL loves it, anything to get fans fired up about one of their franchises= more $ all the way around from fanatic fans. 

Yeah, it can be fun.  The problems tend to come when those throwing mud can't take it when it comes back to them which I've found to be common.  As long as it's just fun and games and nobody takes it seriously then it's fine.  I do think it's more fun when people are creative though.  "Cowgirls" and even "Cowpies" are so old and unimaginative that there is no humor value there.  Be creative when making fun of my team and I will still laugh.  If you want to have some fun at the Cowboys expense, or more specifically Jerry Jones, go do a Google search for "Fake Jerry Jones."  This is a skit that one of the local sport radio shows does and some of them are pretty hilarious.

• Moderators

Very true.............I really don't keep up with football that much, just the saints, for the most part, being local and the MANY years we sucked badly. There are only a few teams I do not like or rather see us beat, mostly the Falcons because of the rivalry. A couple of other teams, one is whoever Cam Newton plays for, don't like the showing off like the Superman gesture, you're on a team, your not superman. And New England, mainly because I don't care for what they call a dynasty for years it seems.

And of course the kneeling thing, I don't like it, I understand the protest reason but to me don't do it toward the flag or national anthem.  Pick another time to do it that could not possibly be tied to veterans or military past or present. These players can get press just about any time they want, just to me, it's not a good time, offseason or not during a game would not be much to ask, who gets to protest at work anyway?

Jerry Jones has done alot for the Cowboys, some say too much as far as control goes. The smart thing to do would be to hire people and let them run everything, especially the coaching and just oversee things, which It seems he has a hard time doing. He has kept the team there and built a new stadium, does he keep this tight of control of all of his businesses, probably not?

A good friend's favorite teams are the Cowboys and the Texans, so we watch the games when we can get them hoping they win, but if they play the Saints we want them to lose, he calls us traitors. :lol: Like another friend, their favorite is the Colts so we want them to do good right up until they play the Saints, but it's all just fun, just have to remember it's just a game and in some cases it means more to the fans than some players.