Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

image.thumb.png.a33591581463058d51488b8999145547.png

I'm in Wilmington as well. Been through all those storms except Hazel. 3-4 days out its still a crap shoot. I remember Floyd was a cat 5 going through the Bahamas and everyone was predicting total annihilation. Sucked up some cold air and turned into mainly a rain event for Wilmington. Fran took out basically every older beachfront house on Pleasure Island and a lot more on Topsail and Fran was only a low 3- hi 2 storm as I recall. Taking the northern eye-wall of a 4-5 will be like facing Armageddon.

This one scares me. Probably have until Wednesday to decide what to do. 

• Like 3

I live just up the road from Wilmington in Fayetteville. Usually storms like this are rain event for us but this time we may catch a little wind. Planning to ride this one out. Got plenty of food and water. The geenie gased up. I just want to tell everyone in the path ...God Bless you.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

I live just up the road from Wilmington in Fayetteville. Usually storms like this are rain event for us but this time we may catch a little wind. Planning to ride this one out. Got plenty of food and water. The geenie gased up. I just want to tell everyone in the path ...God Bless you.

In-laws are in Fayetteville as well, and this live in a house that gets flooded from any real storm. Not looking good

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

Seen this on YouTube. 

"Jim Cantore heads to Virginia Tech where he steps into a wind tunnel. After taking on winds of Tropical Storm strength, he continues the climb through Hurricane force winds... and breaks a record."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJ8tXTcCfE

They should have thrown a couple street signs in there to make it a little more realistic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I'm looking forward once again to seeing the idiot weather people who broadcast in the driving wind and rain to prove there really is a hurricane.  🌧️

Or even funner when there is an occasional  light drizzle and they are out there trying to make it look interesting in a full rain outfit.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, makos said:

I'm in Wilmington as well. Been through all those storms except Hazel. 3-4 days out its still a crap shoot. I remember Floyd was a cat 5 going through the Bahamas and everyone was predicting total annihilation. Sucked up some cold air and turned into mainly a rain event for Wilmington. Fran took out basically every older beachfront house on Pleasure Island and a lot more on Topsail and Fran was only a low 3- hi 2 storm as I recall. Taking the northern eye-wall of a 4-5 will be like facing Armageddon.

This one scares me. Probably have until Wednesday to decide what to do. 

What part of town makos?  I'm either in Windward Oaks or Leeward Lane off Greenville Loop depending on where I choose to ride it out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Tarheel

That pole with the markers... know that handrail isn't ten feet tall. Markers delineate above sea level, right?

That pole is now located at the Wrightsville Beach Museum.  It's for illustration but is correct.  Hazel hit here on a full moon, full tide, and with 140 mph winds.  Tidal surge lifted full size yachts and neatly parked them in a row on Harbor Island.  At Long Beach only 9 structures were left standing out of over 320 prestorm. 

It was one bad *** storm for sure.

Finishing up the check list this morning.  Will be packing up Jake and LF tomorrow and seeing them off before the wind gets too bad😴

• Like 4

Red Springs is where that college was that I mentioned my mother attended. It had a rotunda in one main area that a lot of the gals huddled in when the winds started roaring. Glass at the top busted at one point and a couple of them got cuts and bruises from limbs coming in but they didn't get flooded there.

All of ya'll coastal folks take care. 

I've removed the porch furniture already, will pull in the flag Thursday night I think and that's about it for us. Big trees were taken already, deadwood removed from what is left and I'm 600 something feet above sea level. Wind won't be Hugo like here if it reverts to a TS as soon as it gets to the sandhills. The estimated rain totals are stupendous and vary from hour to hour. I quit checking on it yesterday except am and pm.

44 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Red Springs is where that college was that I mentioned my mother attended. It had a rotunda in one main area that a lot of the gals huddled in when the winds started roaring. Glass at the top busted at one point and a couple of them got cuts and bruises from limbs coming in but they didn't get flooded there.

All of ya'll coastal folks take care. 

I've removed the porch furniture already, will pull in the flag Thursday night I think and that's about it for us. Big trees were taken already, deadwood removed from what is left and I'm 600 something feet above sea level. Wind won't be Hugo like here if it reverts to a TS as soon as it gets to the sandhills. The estimated rain totals are stupendous and vary from hour to hour. I quit checking on it yesterday except am and pm.

Vardell Hall in Red Springs......sort of a "finishing" school for proper young ladies.  My late wife went to school there.

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Vardell Hall in Red Springs......sort of a "finishing" school for proper young ladies.  My late wife went to school there.

Could have changed hands, not sure.

She went to Flora McDonald excelled at piano and organ, was befriended by Loonis McGlohan either right before or after she moved to Charlotte.

Hey the pressure has stayed up at 950 for almost a day now. Saw the regeneration of the eyewall happening. 

Why the heck don't the weatherman now days make any mention of the gulf stream as it pertains to an approaching hurricane? It WILL get a boost from that almost hot water. Is it a state secret now or do they expect that we're all ignorant? 

In the 70s any weatherman on the three local stations we had could thoroughly explained the current weather and the forecast with the hows and whys of low and high pressure systems, the cause and effects of their energy on our climate. And they did that in five minutes from twenty after 6:00 until 6:25 when the sports came on.

Not progress at all people.

It is regression that I will not accept:angry2:, and have found that info for myself:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Current.aspx