Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

On 9/10/2018 at 10:44 PM, CECAA850 said:

They should have thrown a couple street signs in there to make it a little more realistic.

Like Ron White once said, "It's not that the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing. If you get hit by a Volvo, it doesn't matter how many sit-ups you did that day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was out for lunch about an hour or so ago. When I got in the car to leave I noticed a power company truck headed north on I-59 so I started counting. I counted 22 big power company trucks with a big blue stripe with the name PIKE. I don't know how many I missed before I got in the car but the 22 were pretty impressive.

Good luck to all you Carolinians!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

There will be armies of utility trucks headed that way before it's all said and done.  They'll be from various states.  It takes a massive effort to put humpty dumpty back together again.  If they relied only on the local utility company, it could take years to restore power.

Isn't that something?  You know that it costs a shiteload of money to do that, so where does it come from?  FEMA?  Lloyd's of London or other behemoth insurance carriers?  Certainly, they don't self-insure.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Isn't that something?  You know that it costs a shiteload of money to do that, so where does it come from?  FEMA?  Lloyd's of London or other behemoth insurance carriers?  Certainly, they don't self-insure.

The consumers and the state.

EDIT, and the federal government natural disaster relief fund.

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Interesting, both sides of the freeway are being used in the same direction, out of Dodge. The storm is also churning up 83 foot waves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6158393/Hurricane-Florence-South-Carolina-reverses-highway-traffic-help-people-flee.html

We learned that trick a couple of hurricanes ago.  They'll set up police or barricades at the on ramps.

EDIT, I see they covered that in the article.

13 minutes ago, Shiva said:

The Ring of Thunder,  A catchy header.      Quite a few weather systems out there at the moment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6159989/Satellite-image-shows-nine-potentially-deadly-storms-currently-circle-globe.html

5013019D00000578-6159989-The_satellite_image_shows_nine_extreme_weather_events_which_coul-a-25_1536766217593.jpg

That's Mother Nature trying to disseminate the heat to all areas.

JJK

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The local TV news station was reporting live from the West Virginia Turnpike which is I-77 going south.   As the reporter was talking there was truck after truck after truck with the booms on them from the local electric company heading south.  The Turnpike Commission has temporarily lifted the weight restrictions so repair vehicles can easily get to the hurricane zone.

As I look up (I'm between Columbus and Pittsburgh) I can see the front of the hurricane fingers moving counter-clockwise.  They look like dark low hanging clouds and they are curved.  Usually they are higher, wispy looking and curved.  This looks different than anything I've seen before in my lifetime.

Talk about irony. The 11 PM update downgrades Florence to a cat 2, but tracks it right over my location. I can't wait for this storm to GO AWAY.

• Like 1