Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

8 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

It's been a while but I remember Hugo well. Stayed on Johns Island that night. I'm sure @sunburnwilly was staying somewhere nearby. I pray I never go through anything like that again. It seems like yesterday.

I was living in Phoenix Az when Hugo hit , did not experience it myself .

Thinking about leaving on Friday to avoid the water event

My stubborn mother in law refused to leave the area (south of Myrtle Beach, little inland near Murrells Inlet, SC).

She was widowed last year, so 80 years old and no relatives in the area.

Luckily, it is tracking a little further west now, it was to go over her house.

Hopefully, her and her neighbors get through it OK.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, makos said:

Talk about irony. The 11 PM update downgrades Florence to a cat 2, but tracks it right over my location. I can't wait for this storm to GO AWAY.

It sounds like they are expecting it to grow when it gets more into the gulf streams warmer water.

I hope they are wrong.

• Like 1

It seems a lot of prayers have been heard.

Not implying it's going to be easy for anyone at the coast.

Name your poison, would you rather have 140 mph winds (with everything that they carry) for 24 to 36 hours or 110 mph winds for that period. Actually now that I stated that it might just mean that the rubble stays put instead of going into the next county.

Excuse the way that I think, it is awful, but could have been more frightening. Did anybody else see the way the eyewall collapsed on one side yesterday? It was from the GOES E/W satellites pages that I saw it, ramdis online. Can't help but wonder if some of those drones dropped something into the storm, we know the last regime in dc oversaw cloud seeding projects, For whatever reason that monster storm did fizzle out into something considerably less than it was. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

I was living in Phoenix Az when Hugo hit , did not experience it myself .

Thinking about leaving on Friday to avoid the water event

I think we're good. Our neighborhood is high and dry so if you get flooded out come up here and hang out for a while. I Know my girls would love to see you.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Name your poison, would you rather have 140 mph winds (with everything that they carry) for 24 to 36 hours or 110 mph winds for that period. Actually now that I stated that it might just mean that the rubble stays put instead of going into the next county.

That's true, hope it continues to slow down, either way it's going to be a crazy amount of rain. I would think the wind will slow down considerably once it goes on land but it will still be destructive, just hopefully less so.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I would think that pier and many other things will not be there in the AM.

It will not be safe to walk on the beach or go in the water for months. Alot of construction debris will be mixed in with the sand and in the water. Along the coast here they used big machines that is on the idea of a conveyor belt that picks up sand and screens out anything bigger than sand. It takes a long time to even somewhat cover large beaches, I don't know what they do to the bottom under the water if anything ?

It is shocking how much junk gets washed back into the water, cars, roofs, anything and everything.. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The consumers and the state.

EDIT, and the federal government natural disaster relief fund.

Yep.  The carriers are pretty sheltered and capitalized through reinsurance from huge losses like these.   Heck, most of the coastal carriers stock prices are up 1-2% today.  Might want to watch Home Depot, Lowes, Clothing retail, rental car outfits, restaurant's, etc, etc.  as they're all set to climb more. Gonna be a big jump in spending everywhere.

Edit:

Unfortunately a lot of folks are going to lose family, friends, pets and things that are irreplaceable.

• Like 1

Finished up my preparations for the storm. All electronics and vinyl collection bagged in plastic and everything that I had a box for boxed as well.

I  just remembered that I forgot the most important supply for riding out a storm ... alcohol! Might just take a drive but I doubt anyone is still open. Been pretty calm so far occasional gusts starting up.

The worst of it is supposed to be early tomorrow  through tomorrow night. I expect the power to go out tonight as they usually shut the grid down  when gusts reach hurricane strength just as a precaution.

Stay safe everyone and Good luck!

4 minutes ago, makos said:

I  just remembered that I forgot the most important supply for riding out a storm ... alcohol!

You'll never make boy scout.  That should have been number one on the list.  Last hurricane we went through my oldest daughter made sure that we had the ingredients to make a Hurricane.  I had one then switched to martinis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1