Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

I'm genuinely worried about Chuck. I hope he is okay. I wish he have gotten out of there. Water is a relentless, unmerciful MoFo. I am impressed that he does not have a cell phone. I'm working toward that in my best Unabomber way but it is a snails pace.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, windashine said:

ut-oh, I detect a trip to home depot today... haven't noticed that battery before now, thanks for the idea, a belt clip was in my thoughts, a pic is forth-coming, impromptu the details, will work on that later....

Also remember that your laptop computer has a fairly large battery and can charge a cell phone. If a storm is coming have the laptop fully charged and put it in 'sleep' mode and let it charge your phone if needed.

cell phones today, have those slim batteries, in fact, the phone itself is a computer, it seemed to me, that a good 20v lithium ion battery could easily be utilized to provide power, in extended instances, I pictured just buying a belt clip, using a cable and two adapters from your belt to where ever, and you're back in business.... looking at the Dewalt page, they even have a wifi set-up (what will they think of next) I thought their radio was pushing it when that came out a few years ago... 

DSC01824.JPG

• Like 2

Yes Chuck should be alright and Joe. Imagine he had a shot of MM last evening and is helping himself to a second cupper of Joe at this moment.

After having a cell phone connected, attached to me for awhile, it is a relief just to have one for very occasional use. We will be hearing from momentarily. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Hopefully they can get the land lines up. I know the cell companies usually have backup generators on the towers for emergencies but landlines are probably a lower priority.

in a previous life, I used to deliver equipment to telco switching offices - your DSL CO, or central office, as you may know them now.  in ALL of them - every last one - they had battery backup.  I'm sure of that, having seen them, and even been the contractor who removed the old ones & delivered the new ones at replacement time.  most of them I think also had generators to back these up.  not sure of what %age that might be, those having generators.  so most of your local telco systems @ the CO  are prepared & equipped to be up for a while.  how long?  no idea.

and then you have the issue of "service delivery" - keeping the end users connected to the "network" / CO via fiber/copper/etc.  that will probably be the weak link of the chain.

40 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Hopefully they can get the land lines up. I know the cell companies usually have backup generators on the towers for emergencies but landlines are probably a lower priority.

Last hurricane here, land lines were up before cell towers but there are certainly more cell phones now than there were then.

15 minutes ago, bluesboy said:

I just got a text from Chuck's lady friend. They are both fine although they are a bit worried about possible flooding at Chuck's house. LF says her house is on higher ground and should be alright. I'm hoping to hear from Chuck this weekend providing he has a line to call out on.

Chucks house is really close to the intercostal canal.  He said that he wasn't in a flood plain but I was worried about storm surge. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

1 in 315,000,000.   Wow!

2 in 315,000,000. I don't own a cell phone either. Cell phones are so passé. Chuck, like myself, probably has moved on to more cutting edge technology. Look into the future below.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, -js- said:

in a previous life, I used to deliver equipment to telco switching offices - your DSL CO, or central office, as you may know them now.  in ALL of them - every last one - they had battery backup.  I'm sure of that, having seen them, and even been the contractor who removed the old ones & delivered the new ones at replacement time.  most of them I think also had generators to back these up.  not sure of what %age that might be, those having generators.  so most of your local telco systems @ the CO  are prepared & equipped to be up for a while.  how long?  no idea.

and then you have the issue of "service delivery" - keeping the end users connected to the "network" / CO via fiber/copper/etc.  that will probably be the weak link of the chain.

The batteries were used to start the generator first with temporary use of instapacs so that that 30 seconds or so would not be an outage. If the generator did not start the batteries would go full online. The batteries were circular and as they wore down they would put out more power.

JJK

1 hour ago, windashine said:

cell phones today, have those slim batteries, in fact, the phone itself is a computer, it seemed to me, that a good 20v lithium ion battery could easily be utilized to provide power, in extended instances

Most cars these days have power outlets that will charge cell phones.  I keep a sealed AGM 12v battery like they use for trolling motors charged up in case of an extended power outage used to power my c-pap machine for up to a week.  I am deathly afraid to go to sleep without it.

+++

Friday Noon:  I just saw where HUNDREDS of people are in attics and on rooftops waiting for rescue.  HOW is this possible?  Did they not notice everybody in their town was gone, and there was no food in the grocery store?  :blink2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

The batteries were used to start the generator first with temporary use of instapacs so that that 30 seconds or so would not be an outage. If the generator did not start the batteries would go full online. The batteries were circular and as they wore down they would put out more power.

JJK

cool.  I've not worked with them enough to know how the tech of it worked.  I do remember the replacements we put in were round/circular.  in some cases, the old ones we removed were ~ 4' tall square ones.  HUGE things they were.

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Friday Noon:  I just saw where HUNDREDS of people are in attics and on rooftops waiting for rescue.  HOW is this possible?  Did they not notice everybody in their town was gone, and there was no food in the grocery store?  :blink2:

I was really concerned about how close Chuck was to the water and the fact that he was staying.  One of the things I told him was not to go into his attic to avoid rising water without  bringing tools needed to break through the roof to escape.

• Like 3

This is quite the season... here is a pic of florence and mangkhat. Mangkhat is hitting the Philippines and the equivalent of a cat 5 storm. Winds of 180 mph. In this satellite image, it is 200 miles wider than Florence. It already hit Guam.

Bruce

florence_mangkhut.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Wow.

This is unimaginable to me, given how strong the storm was a few days ago.

The 2015 accord we had would not charge the battery with the alternator when you cranked up the car. I waxed it the first time and listened to music while doing that, same as every car or truck I've owned since 1979. Cranked the car a couple of times twenty minutes apart. Waited a little longer the last time and when I tried to put it back in the driveway I had to call AAA to start it. Not the same as real cars were. Real to me is a steel sculpture that can do 80mph for six hours straight without issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The 2015 accord we had would not charge the battery with the alternator when you cranked up the car.

A 2015 vehicle should certainly be right up to date.  I have a 2007 Honda CRV and when I work in the yard or driveway I run the radio all afternoon without having even a hint of running down the battery.  As you know radios only use a few watts and should not drain a battery.

Still, given your story I think I'll use a small boom box and plug it into the wall next time I work outside, which will be a little later today.  I have several chargers, but still, there's no sense in taking a chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

A 2015 vehicle should certainly be right up to date.

Yea but up to date in the era of "green" this and "smart" that, I should have insisted we bought a pair of `72 small block Novas at an auction.

Went to the dealership to get it fixed and they told me about the alternator not charging the battery.

Ticked me off so bad that the reason has been deleted from my brain to alleviate headaches.

But she ONLY wants Honda.........

Like I ONLY want Klipsch Heritage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yea but up to date in the era of "green" this and "smart" that, I should have insisted we bought a pair of `72 small block Novas at an auction.

does the name Mecum ring a bell?  you could get most anything you or she want (probably), and can even do it form your couch while listening to your Klipsch

Mecum Oct 3-6

• Haha 2