Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Went to the dealership to get it fixed and they told me about the alternator not charging the battery.

Ticked me off so bad that the reason has been deleted from my brain to alleviate headaches.

But she ONLY wants Honda.........

We are a Honda family also.  Nothing wrong with that.  :)

I did a quick search and it looks like the dead battery problem for that model year is a known issue.  There is even a factory recall related to the battery sensor.  That might explain why my older CRV doesn't have the same battery drain/lack of proper charging problem.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2015/recalls/battery-sensor-may-short-17v418000.shtml

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@-js- Yep I think of Mecum over the other one because they have all the hemi-convertible-Barracudas!

I wasn't aware of that.  I haven't followed the wider topic to develop a preference.  personally, I can't afford to play, so I sit on the virtual sidelines, watch, dream & drool.

I like a bunch of what Mecum does get to list tho - old muscle, new muscle, pasta rockets... I have wide, expensive tastes on a zero budget.

• Like 1

Well I'm sure that @Tarheel did get to higher ground. I'm concerned about an area that it's supposed to go over.

Anyone ever watched V8 speedboat races? That is not the main attraction there but saw it once going on there. Lake Waccamaw, NC near Whiteville (pronounced wyatt-vul) if you ever go there. Beautiful fresh water over white sand lake about 2 x 4 miles big with Cypress trees / Spanish Moss everywhere. Lots of vacation homes from the forties and earlier, and lots of very expensive homes on the other sides. Our family went there a lot back in the 70s. Lots of snapping turtles too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -js- said:

I wasn't aware of that.  I haven't followed the wider topic to develop a preference.  personally, I can't afford to play, so I sit on the virtual sidelines, watch, dream & drool.

I like a bunch of what Mecum does get to list tho - old muscle, new muscle, pasta rockets... I have wide, expensive tastes on a zero budget.

I'll never afford a $200K Mopar either, reminiscing and dreaming is what I do if I watch that also!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Most cars these days have power outlets that will charge cell phones.  I keep a sealed AGM 12v battery like they use for trolling motors charged up in case of an extended power outage used to power my c-pap machine for up to a week.  I am deathly afraid to go to sleep without it.

+++

Friday Noon:  I just saw where HUNDREDS of people are in attics and on rooftops waiting for rescue.  HOW is this possible?  Did they not notice everybody in their town was gone, and there was no food in the grocery store?  :blink2:

Some people are clueless. I saw a news report in Hawaii of some Asian lady who flew in to Oahu for vacation about 24 hrs before the hurricane was supposed to hit Honolulu. She was surprised the news crews were there and when they asked her about it she said, "I didnt know anything about a hurricane!". We drove around much of the island and there were about 10 buildings total that bothered to put any sandbags or board up any windows to prepare. The scariest thing was all the local 'tent towns' right on the beach that would have been annihilated if it had actually hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Well it looks like for the most part everyone is going to get off light from this storm.

High water yes for sure, but they got very lucky with the wind. I know it might not look like it but if it would have stayed a 3 with winds of 130  or more, like it was a couple days ago it would have been much worse. I was much more worried about the winds, if your low, storm surge or this amount of rain will get you. With 130 mph winds the storm surge would have been much worse, with many more trees down and roofs missing with much more junk flying thru the air.  I was glad to see it was under 100 mph as it got to land, this alone probably saved many people.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Some people are clueless.

That's an understatement, last night it was reported they were rescuing people from low areas where there was a mandatory evacuation. 

I would guess the only reason they went out to get them was because it was only a cat 1, there is no reason to risk sending rescuers out to risk people's lives to save the terminally stupid.

I know it sounds terrible but it's true. In South louisiana, the part that sticks out in the gulf as a peninsula, there was a mandatory evacuation. When the stupid people who didn't leave called to be rescued they were told sorry we can't send someone until the storm passes. Now for the old or anyone who had no way to leave they went and picked them up before the storm , they actually went door to door telling people to get out, the stupid or hard headed people  who decided to stay got the chance to experience a hurricane up close. Bet they listen next time, if not they deserve to get whatever happens to them.

Sorry, but it's true, why should someone with a family of their own  willing to help rescue and save people which is dangerous enough risk their lives during a storm, to save someone who thought they knew better.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's an understatement, last night it was reported they were rescuing people from low areas where there was a mandatory evacuation. 

I would guess the only reason they went out to get them was because it was only a cat 1, there is no reason to risk sending rescuers out to risk people's lives to save the terminally stupid.

I know it sounds terrible but it's true. In South louisiana, the part that sticks out in the gulf as a peninsula, there was a mandatory evacuation. When the stupid people who didn't leave called to be rescued they were told sorry we can't send someone until the storm passes. Now for the old or anyone who had no way to leave they went and picked them up before the storm , they actually went door to door telling people to get out, the stupid or hard headed people  who decided to stay got the chance to experience a hurricane up close. Bet they listen next time, if not they deserve to get whatever happens to them.

Sorry, but it's true, why should someone with a family of their own  willing to help rescue and save people which is dangerous enough risk their lives during a storm, to save someone who thought they knew better.

This actually happened over here with Harvey last year.  It happens on every storm.  People stay.  If they are unlucky, they will get help if weather and conditions permit.  They make this choice at their own peril.

• Like 2

some are clueless - the lady twk describes.  and then there are the hard-headed, stubborn folk who entrench themselves & do exactly what dtel describes.

it MUST be difficult to keep a register of those who might be unable to evacuate themselves so that authorities can pre-preemptively move them from harm's way.  but that seems to be the way to get it done.  and for those who initially stay but then beg to be rescued, I'm sorry but I too have little sympathy for them.  they had their chances.  if they were unable to evac themselves, maybe they should have called 9-1-1 sooner.  like when evac orders are 1st issued ?  makes me ill.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

This actually happened over here with Harvey last year.  It happens on every storm.  People stay.  If they are unlucky, they will get help if weather and conditions permit.  They make this choice at their own peril.

just my $.02 worth.  they DO make these choices at their own peril.  there is a little to be said for Darwinism...  and sometimes seems like Darwin needs a little help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe it or not, a lot of the rescues are made by private citizens.  A lot of people like to help others in times of need and aren't concerned with passing judgment at the time.  Different people are equipped differently, have different skills and are willing to take different levels of risk.  This all calculates into the equation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jeff Matthews - I believe it.  and 100% agree on all points.  makes me shake my head at some people... as I'm sure there are those who watch me & do the same.  I hope my decisions do not have the potential life changing impact on OTHERS though.  saw a note on the "crawler" on a weather network that the Cajun Navy is asking for additional volunteers for more help in the Carolinas.  probably illustrates one or more of your points right there.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't blame people for not wanting to leave, I never want to leave either. But I would never expect someone to risk their life because i was willing to risk mine.

Reminds me of an old joke.................please don't make this religious or political,  it's just a way of heard headed thinking

There was a storm once and everything flooded up the roofs of houses. One man sat on his roof, it was very hot but he said god would save him. 3 boats passed and two helicopters in the next couple of days , he told them all you go ahead god will save me. A few days passed and he died, as he got to heaven he ask god why didn't you save me,I prayed and depended on you ?   

He was told I tried, I sent 3 boats and a helicopter we couldn't force you !  

• Like 4