Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

:unsure:

In case you're just having a short-circuit @-js-

God tried five times to save him and the guy sent those folks away!

True but it was much longer when I heard it I tried to shorten it and was not even sure if I should have said it.

I only did because it was not meant not as a religious statement but as a way to show hard headed some people can be.  Exchange anything for the god word, it was just the idea and if there are complaints I will erase it, and for the persistant I will even give myself a warning point.

If I can even give myself one ? Carl could do it  if nothing else, or even better my wife, she would love to do that. 

I have given one person a warning point and it was just to see how it worked, it was given to my wife, she just gave me that look.:mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

She's off to the grocery right now,  I'm sure she will be more than happy, I'm just glad she doesn't have an electric cattle prod at times. I do tend to aggravate her on occasion, it's my job over the last 40 years, might seem like it anyway, she would think.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
26 minutes ago, dtel said:

and for the persistent I will even give myself a warning point.

If I can even give myself one ? Carl could do it  if nothing else, or even better my wife, she would love to do that. 

Christy, want to help us with that?

I think @dtel should be given a Warning Point for telling an old joke...badly.  :P

For the record I am terrible at telling jokes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, twk123 said:

The scariest thing was all the local 'tent towns' right on the beach that would have been annihilated if it had actually hit.

What is really scary are the tent towns.  The homeless problem is completely out of hand.  There is an effort to get families into housing, but a lot of the rest are insane and/or drug addicts who would take supreme efforts to rehab, and it gets to the point where one wonders if it is worth it.  Authorities recently closed the park near us to repair and rejuvenate it after it had become overrun with them.  We used to feel completely safe to walk around at any time of the day or night, and my son when he was a small child would play in that park.  Oh how times have changed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

What is really scary are the tent towns.  The homeless problem is completely out of hand.  There is an effort to get families into housing, but a lot of the rest are insane and/or drug addicts who would take supreme efforts to rehab, and it gets to the point where one wonders if it is worth it.  Authorities recently closed the park near us to repair and rejuvenate it after it had become overrun with them.  We used to feel completely safe to walk around at any time of the day or night, and my son when he was a small child would play in that park.  Oh how times have changed.

Wow!  I've heard about this and saw just a little bit while on the freeway in LA, but yeah, I can see what a real downer it is.  It used to be that the police would do things to kind of "nudge" the homeless along as "passers by."  Now that they are being handled more nicely and cities are trying to provide accommodations, the welcome mat has been rolled out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

I'm just glad she doesn't have an electric cattle prod at times. 

that part sounds like you're doing you job pretty well too - hiding the cattle prod from her.

and, for the record - I did get your joke dtel.  but my "witty comeback" that was supposed to be funny - "wait, what?  I don't get it, for the super obvious joke" - fell flat.  the sarcasm missed the mark badly.  so anyway that's just more of the usual that I cannot tell a joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think @dtel should be given a Warning Point for telling an old joke...badly.  :P

For the record I am terrible at telling jokes. 

Good point, I am terrible at telling jokes also, I don't like it so much I try to make them shorter and rush through them. 

Since this seems to be the slowest moving storm in history besides the one that parked in South Texas I will tell you another joke shortened,

by Justin Wilson. Just to torture you and me. :laugh:

Justin and his friend was getting out of the perouge after duck hunting and the game warden walked over to check them. The game warden said it looks like you two did well but all legal, but i do have one question, where is your gun ?

Justin said we never used a gun we just scared the ducks to death. The warden didn't believe them and wanted to see,  so all three got in the perouge and went out. They sat in the blind and waited for ducks to fly by, Justin and his friend stood up and made a scary face and some fell out the sky dead. The warden was amazed saying he had never heard of anything like that, then Justin's friend said my wife is much better at it that us. The warden asked if she is better why don't you bring her with you hunting ? Justin;s friend said, she bust them up to bad .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Wow!  I've heard about this and saw just a little bit while on the freeway in LA,

They say SF is much worse, they actually have city employees picking up poop of the streets, and crews to pick up other trash including needles. They say you can't walk down a street without needing to step over all of it.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

They say SF is much worse, they actually have city employees picking up poop of the streets, and crews to pick up other trash including needles. They say you can't walk down a street without needing to step over all of it.

Lately every time driving around town a person is spotted squatting on or near the sidewalk sometimes next to tree.  Luckily the last time I was driving keeping my eyes on the road, because drivers are clueless anymore, but my wife got to see.  She said I was lucky not to.

• Moderators

We have been in the mountains of Tennessee when they had a pretty good rain and the streams were almost overflowing. If the rain continues when this get to the border of NC and Tenn, there may be some flash floods ?

153133_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good point, I am terrible at telling jokes also, I don't like it so much I try to make them shorter and rush through them. 

Since this seems to be the slowest moving storm in history besides the one that parked in South Texas I will tell you another joke shortened,

by Justin Wilson. Just to torture you and me. :laugh:

Justin and his friend was getting out of the perouge after duck hunting and the game warden walked over to check them. The game warden said it looks like you two did well but all legal, but i do have one question, where is your gun ?

Justin said we never used a gun we just scared the ducks to death. The warden didn't believe them and wanted to see,  so all three got in the perouge and went out. They sat in the blind and waited for ducks to fly by, Justin and his friend stood up and made a scary face and some fell out the sky dead. The warden was amazed saying he had never heard of anything like that, then Justin's friend said my wife is much better at it that us. The warden asked if she is better why don't you bring her with you hunting ? Justin;s friend said, she bust them up to bad .

Lol that reminds me of one:

A man was walking back to his car after a day of fishing with a bucket full of fish. The warden stops him and says, "Please let me see your fishing license". The man replies, "Sir, I am not fishing... you see these are my pet fish and I let them out every week to swim in the lake then I call them back into the bucket with my whistle." The warden was skeptical and said, "Ok wise guy, if that is true I want to see you do it right now." So the two walk down to the bank and the man dumps the fish into the water and they disappear into the lake. After a minute the warden says, "Ok buddy, you gonna call your fish back?" And the guy simply picks up his gear and says, "What fish?"

• Haha 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Lately every time driving around town a person is spotted squatting on or near the sidewalk sometimes next to tree.  Luckily the last time I was driving keeping my eyes on the road, because drivers are clueless anymore, but my wife got to see.  She said I was lucky not to.

I guess some of the cities are India west now.

How can anyone think this is OK ?

Same thing in Seattle they say. Chicago not so much, they don't live long enough, there to busy shooting each other, 70 in one weekend, unbelievable.

1 minute ago, dtel said:

I guess some of the cities are India west now.

How can anyone think this is OK ?

Same thing in Seattle they say. Chicago not so much, they don't live long enough, there to busy shooting each other, 70 in one weekend, unbelievable.

I remember seeing "grate people" in Philadelphia years ago, covered up on a street grate for the heat in the freezing dead of winter.  I always wondered why don't they start walking south?  Apparently the word is out that going to livable climates is the way to go.  The tent condos in Honolulu often have more square footage than people who are paying for their own condo.  Compensation for the lack of running water I guess.

• Like 1

This is a quote about San Francisco.

The department estimates there are 11,000 heroin addicts in San Francisco who use needles. There is no accurate count on how many of those are homeless, but it is believed to be in the thousands. The Public Works Department alone picks up more than 12,500 discarded needles every month at homeless hot spots and encampments.

They must be doing something right.:wacko2: