Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Wow!  I've heard about this and saw just a little bit while on the freeway in LA, but yeah, I can see what a real downer it is.  It used to be that the police would do things to kind of "nudge" the homeless along as "passers by."  Now that they are being handled more nicely and cities are trying to provide accommodations, the welcome mat has been rolled out.

Well, when you throw a dog a bone everyday, its not long before the dog refuses to hunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's pretty cheesy.

It's just common sense.  Ship them all to places that are horrid in winter, like Philly and Chicago, and of course, Utica.  Then the ones who would improve their lot would have incentive.  I have lots of other Swift ideas, but this one is a good start.  (Yes, I ignored your diversional pun)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's just common sense.  Ship them all to places that are horrid in winter, like Philly and Chicago, and of course, Utica.  Then the ones who would improve their lot would have incentive.  I have lots of other Swift ideas, but this one is a good start.  (Yes, I ignored your diversional pun)

The homeless here in Denver just shoot meth to stay warm in the Winter. :unsure:

• Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

It's just a sign of how great things are again.

It's nothing new, the same people running things for the last 30 years is the problem.

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

They must be doing something right.:wacko2:

They need to give away the drugs free, in much higher doses. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

These are now becoming more popular:

krFdTFaz6Xp2.jpg

There was news story about the same thing the other day, one man surrounded his house with one of those, the neighbors thought he was nuts., Until the river flooded as it did every few years, after it was all over they were asking where he got them. It cost him I think it was $7000 which was less than what his insurance deductible would have been if his house had flooded not even counting the inconvenience. He also had a gas powered trash pump inside the ring for anything that seeped through.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

This is a quote about San Francisco.

The department estimates there are 11,000 heroin addicts in San Francisco who use needles. There is no accurate count on how many of those are homeless, but it is believed to be in the thousands. The Public Works Department alone picks up more than 12,500 discarded needles every month at homeless hot spots and encampments.

They must be doing something right.:wacko2:

How many meth heads do you suppose there are in Jefferson County?

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Florence is acting alot like Harvey.

I think I saw where Florence is moving at 3 mph.  Myrtle Beach has some flash flooding but the ocean stayed where it belongs, no surge.  At least that danger has passed.

I find it a bit annoying that the in-field reporters are trying to drum up enthusiasm for this slow moving rain storm.  I think they are driving around looking for downed trees so they have something to get excited about.  Heck, around here trees fall down every time it rains and the wind blows.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Of course they do, it's like there moment in the spotlight.

Like the words in the Eagles song, Dirty Laundry

"We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry"

• Like 3

On 9/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, wvu80 said:

I think I saw where Florence is moving at 3 mph.  Myrtle Beach has some flash flooding but the ocean stayed where it belongs, no surge.  At least that danger has passed.

I find it a bit annoying that the in-field reporters are trying to drum up enthusiasm for this slow moving rain storm.  I think they are driving around looking for downed trees so they have something to get excited about.  Heck, around here trees fall down every time it rains and the wind blows.

Yea, Myrtle Beach could have been a lot worse!  Neighbor told me it's been crazy wet and some trees came down on the golf course behind me but things looked good to him @ my place.  He did some major nosin in the attic and all good so I'm a happy boy.  Just wonder what the beaches will look like when it's done.  Some didn't fare so well that's the truly sad thing.  

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Yea, Myrtle Beach could have been a lot worse!

Myrtle Beach is hurting!  I just talked to my son a few minutes ago Sunday at midnight.  Myrtle is just about to become an island cut off from the rest of SC surrounded on all sides by water.  The city streets are wet, but clear and passable.

He said the rivers in NC which flooded travel through SC.  Then when SC has rain there is no place for the water to drain.  Currently all roads are blocked off, 17, 501, 701.  There is only one road open by going south and towards Columbia to get out.  He said some people tried to get out today on the 501 and immediately got caught on was effectively a parking lot for 6 hours.  They had to turn around and come back into town.

Scott said they have power but trucks can't get in with food.  He said McDonald's a couple other fast food places were on limited hours then they simply close down.  The towns folks have not yet been able to return due to the flooded roads which are now closed.

Just wonder what the beaches will look like when it's done. 

I didn't ask about the beaches but they did not get the storm surge they were expecting, so from what I saw not a lot of damage.

• Like 1

No Power 3 days now, Rained like hell for 30+ hours, starter out on the tractor and the damn road is washed out. Some AZZ that is always speeding around here creating ruts in the sand road is now blocking the road stuck in quicksand where the road washes out the worst.  I am the sole caretaker of the road of the 10+ famlies that live on this road not one has ever offered to help with fuel or maintenance. I can not get out to get a replacement starter so this should get interesting.................

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, joessportster said:

is now blocking the road stuck in quicksand where the road washes out the worst. 

Let FEMA or the National Guard know.  Maybe they will send a grader and some gravel.  Tell them what exactly you need and how important it is.

Squeaky wheel and all that.

• Like 1

Always funny though watching people follow like sheep.  Ya stay HOME!  Yes, cabin fever is cabin fever BUT.   You were told to evacuate yet decided to stay so a nice drive around town ISN'T or shouldn't  be in the plans.   Ya get hung up it's on YOU.  There are ALWAYS bigger fish to fry elsewhere!  The public just can't seem to understand that at times.  That's the down-side of a disaster the magnitude of Florence.  

• Confused 1