Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

Finally able to catch my breath so thought I do a quick post. House suffered no structural damage. Got lucky and all the big limbs that came down fell away from the house. Neighbors not so lucky. Trees down all over our area and no one I know has power other than generators. We have full emergency generator power where I work and I have been putting in full days since Sat. Probably won't have power at home for several more days and it's gonna take weeks to clean up my back yard. All in all feel pretty lucky. River is supposed to crest on Thurs. so still have that to worry about.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, makos said:

Finally able to catch my breath so thought I do a quick post. House suffered no structural damage. Got lucky and all the big limbs that came down fell away from the house. Neighbors not so lucky. Trees down all over our area and no one I know has power other than generators. We have full emergency generator power where I work and I have been putting in full days since Sat. Probably won't have power at home for several more days and it's gonna take weeks to clean up my back yard. All in all feel pretty lucky. River is supposed to crest on Thurs. so still have that to worry about.

That's great news.  I think my daughters house in Jacksonville faired well also.  We won't know for sure until they start letting people back in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Always funny though watching people follow like sheep.  Ya stay HOME!  Yes, cabin fever is cabin fever BUT.   You were told to evacuate yet decided to stay so a nice drive around town ISN'T or shouldn't  be in the plans.   Ya get hung up it's on YOU.  There are ALWAYS bigger fish to fry elsewhere!  The public just can't seem to understand that at times.  That's the down-side of a disaster the magnitude of Florence.  

Please enlighten me How exactly does 1 get the fuel for the generator needed to keep 2 packed freezers from spoiling 2000.00 in meat while staying HOME ?  I was not told to EVACUATE I am no where near any of the evacuation orders..............Easy for someone with no irons in the fire to run off at the mouth.   I may be the odd man out here,  I dont think I have ANY " bigger fish " than my family 2 young ones and a wife that depend on me. 

• Like 2

I had 20 Gallons on standby and generator full as well, both car and van full all the food and water we would need...............It was looking like we may have outage for a week or more so I was trying to fill cans as they emptied. If you wait to fill them stations run out of fuel then you are up the creek.  When you say Jerry cans are those the old military style or the red 5 gallon cans ?  I would like to find a few of the military style cans.  Around here they want 20+ for the red 5 gallon cans.  I thought the same way as you If my starter on tractor had not failed I could possibly have saved the road from wash out by hitting it some point in between the rain drops, as it stands now it is going to take some doing to repair it.

Small rain storm this evening and power is back out again, Without a doubt this is the WORST power company I have had the displeasure of using, we are constantly loosing power I understand it in a heavy or big storm such as Florence or even severe Storms but this goes out all the time with small rains, or winds. I get paranoid just knowing one day it will cause a surge and take out an amp or ?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Please enlighten me How exactly does 1 get the fuel for the generator needed to keep 2 packed freezers from spoiling 2000.00 in meat while staying HOME ?  I was not told to EVACUATE I am no where near any of the evacuation orders..............Easy for someone with no irons in the fire to run off at the mouth.   I may be the odd man out here,  I dont think I have ANY " bigger fish " than my family 2 young ones and a wife that depend on me. 

Noooooo Joe, was hoping you wouldn't take that post the wrong way.  I understood what you were saying.  I was just talking about people who had NO business out there nosin around!  Many people just slip out for that Sunday drive because they were tired of sitting around for days on end.  THOSE are the ones I was talking about...  Sorry man.  I saw a million of those people during the Blizzard of '78 here in Ohio when I was in the Natl Guard.  "How'd you get in the ditch and buried?  Well we were just taking a drive cause the sun finally came out but we skipped Church today!"  Seriously?  Ok, we'll pop you outta the ditch IF you promise to turn around and go home!  Deal was done then. :) 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I had 20 Gallons on standby and generator full as well, both car and van full all the food and water we would need...............It was looking like we may have outage for a week or more so I was trying to fill cans as they emptied. If you wait to fill them stations run out of fuel then you are up the creek.  When you say Jerry cans are those the old military style or the red 5 gallon cans ?  I would like to find a few of the military style cans.  Around here they want 20+ for the red 5 gallon cans.  I thought the same way as you If my starter on tractor had not failed I could possibly have saved the road from wash out by hitting it some point in between the rain drops, as it stands now it is going to take some doing to repair it.

Small rain storm this evening and power is back out again, Without a doubt this is the WORST power company I have had the displeasure of using, we are constantly loosing power I understand it in a heavy or big storm such as Florence or even severe Storms but this goes out all the time with small rains, or winds. I get paranoid just knowing one day it will cause a surge and take out an amp or ?

Storms?  Power almost always rock solid.   Sunny days?  Outages for hours!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

Please enlighten me How exactly does 1 get the fuel for the generator needed to keep 2 packed freezers from spoiling (respectful snip)

15 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Noooooo Joe, was hoping you wouldn't take that post the wrong way.  I understood what you were saying.  I was just talking about people who had NO business out there nosin around!

When I read your response Joe, I knew instantly Dave wasn't talking about you.  In no way was his comment meant to be personal.  His explanation was how I interpreted his comment. 

Dave was speaking in general, but I can could understand that with all the stress you must be under how you might react that way.  No harm done I hope because nothing intentional or personal was meant.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, joessportster said:

How efficient is your freezer?  Mine draws almost nothing, if it's full, even in 100 degree heat.

You do have high quality surge protection on all amps, etc. Right?

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, joessportster said:

When you say Jerry cans are those the old military style or the red 5 gallon cans ?  I would like to find a few of the military style cans.  

Yes, but they make em in non reactive plastic now.

So how many gallons does it look like it would take to keep freezer cold for 2 weeks?

Dry ice would help a lot.

10 hours ago, joessportster said:

Please enlighten me How exactly does 1 get the fuel for the generator needed to keep 2 packed freezers from spoiling 2000.00 in meat while staying HOME ? 

The last hurricane that I had to use my gas generator I filled up all my gas cans and the 3 cars that we had at the time.  I used the fuel in the gas tanks to run my generator.  At the time all my vehicles had a Schrader valve on the fuel rail that was normally used as a place to check fuel pressure.  I made a hose that fit the valve and every time I needed to fill a fuel can I'd install the hose on the vehicle and turn the key on.  The pump in the tank would activate and pump the fuel out.  The vehicles gave me about 50 or 60 gallons worth of storage.

• Like 2

Ok, I jumped the Gun and read Daves post wrong. I apologize Dave.  I have no idea what my freezers draw as far as power goes, My generator is running 15ish hours on a full tank (6 gallons) We got power back yesterday and promptly lost it 3 or so  hours later.  I like that idea Carl both my car and van are electronic fuel pumps I will look for the rail and see if I might have a piece for that

• Like 3

I don't mean to be disrespectful to any of those still under water, but I found this funny as it goes to my pet peeve about weather reporters.

(EDIT:  The embedded Youtube video was deleted by me out of respect for a fellow Klipsch Forum Member)

The funny video can be found in Youtube under "Guess Who!" by Mark Dice.

• Haha 2

Ha, generators...  Reminds me of a lil story...  After the Blizzard of 78 here, the owner of the local radio station called me one day and asked IF I had any inside info on BIG gas military generators being for sale/free so he could use one @ his station to keep it running.  Afterall, it would be used for PSA work if needed during catastrophes. I was like, well even though being State level in the Natl Guard I'm supposed to get you a zillion dollar generator for free?  Seriously???  Um no, sorry Tom but you'll have to go another direction to purchase one of those.  Tight a(#@...  Dispersal of military property goes like this or did...  Red Cross/Nat'l service orgs, churches, then military personal and finally public auction.  I hand receipted a beautiful OLD like new range finder Leica camera, 35mm F2.8, 50mm, F2.8, 135mm F2.8 all Zeiss lenses AND the Leica leather shoulder bag.  I played with it for about 6 months then found out they were taking it back into the Property office so I returned it like a good boy.  The full Colonel, who I knew, said "Dave, why don't you just tell me you lost it?"  I said, "Cause I didn't lose it but the lenses are beautiful."   He said, "You know if you tell me you lost it you'd have to pay for it."  I said, "I know but I didn't."  He said, "You sure?"  I said, "Yup" So he signed off as receiving it.  I got up to leave and said how much would "losing it" cost me?  He said, "On the books it's valued @ $35...  I've been kicking myself every time I think about it...  Lenses alone???   Double UGH!  Generators for someone else?  Eh, not so much!  😂 😂 😂

• Haha 1

Mark is a hoot and I love his comments on the "comedy" channel. Did you see the one from Weather Channel where Mark Seidel was pretending to be blown about by the wind while two dudes walk calmly behind him in shorts and don't appear to have the same wind blown problems just a few feet way?

https://www.infowars.com/twitter-roasts-weather-channel-reporter-for-faking-hurricane-wind-intensity/

• Haha 2