Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

10 minutes ago, T2K said:

Your post IS political in nature Dave and you should delete it or I will squeal to a Moderator, an action you are famous for. I am politically offended by it. -Keith

NOT political, it has THREE weather people faking being in the weather.  That is a pet peeve of mine, as I stated in an earlier post in this thread.   I could care less about politics, I don't want to discuss politics, I am sick of politics.

What I DO care about Keith is that fact that you object to the post.  For that reason only, I'm more than happy to delete it.  It's more important to me that we get along as forum members than to be a right fighter for a cause.

My apologies to you.  I did not mean to offend, I meant to bring a little humor to a weather event.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joessportster said:

I had 20 Gallons on standby and generator full as well, both car and van full all the food and water we would need...............It was looking like we may have outage for a week or more so I was trying to fill cans as they emptied. If you wait to fill them stations run out of fuel then you are up the creek.  When you say Jerry cans are those the old military style or the red 5 gallon cans ?  I would like to find a few of the military style cans.  Around here they want 20+ for the red 5 gallon cans.  I thought the same way as you If my starter on tractor had not failed I could possibly have saved the road from wash out by hitting it some point in between the rain drops, as it stands now it is going to take some doing to repair it.

Small rain storm this evening and power is back out again, Without a doubt this is the WORST power company I have had the displeasure of using, we are constantly loosing power I understand it in a heavy or big storm such as Florence or even severe Storms but this goes out all the time with small rains, or winds. I get paranoid just knowing one day it will cause a surge and take out an amp or ?

I don't know your situation but I am at the very end of my rural electrical co-ops service area. We get outages pretty often because whatever happens we see from the generator to the end of their wires. I literally have one house past me and they end.   Being prepared especially when you have been warned ahead of time is pretty easy to do. Some years back we had an ice storm in southern Tennessee and Northern Alabama that was not supposed to be much and when it was over people were without power close by for up to a month. No warning day after day to be prepared like NC had. I don't complain about service problems because while welding up buss bars in some of the TVA substations I got filled in by electrical crews as to what all is involved in keeping wires up and in good shape. People whine and moan about the cost of electricity and utilities do listen and draw a line between reasonable up time and bitchy customers.

I have watched as trees on my piece lean over and arc on the wires. It is a monumental job to keep all that right of way cleared and still if you have trees there is never enough done to eliminate all outages.

9 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I have watched as trees on my piece lean over and arc on the wires. It is a monumental job to keep all that right of way cleared and still if you have trees there is never enough done to eliminate all outages.

I wish we as a community could be more proactive when we know a storm is coming.  THAT is the time to get the tree trimming guys out, BEFORE the downed trees take out the wires, not after.

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I wish we as a community could be more proactive when we know a storm is coming.  THAT is the time to get the tree trimming guys out, BEFORE the downed trees take out the wires, not after.

Dave, I think you are asking an awful lot of the utility companies and the folks they employ to do that kind of maintenance.  Living in a very rural area in Washington State, I saw first hand how overwhelmed they were, day in and day out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I don't know your situation but I am at the very end of my rural electrical co-ops service area. We get outages pretty often because whatever happens we see from the generator to the end of their wires. I literally have one house past me and they end.   Being prepared especially when you have been warned ahead of time is pretty easy to do. Some years back we had an ice storm in southern Tennessee and Northern Alabama that was not supposed to be much and when it was over people were without power close by for up to a month. No warning day after day to be prepared like NC had. I don't complain about service problems because while welding up buss bars in some of the TVA substations I got filled in by electrical crews as to what all is involved in keeping wires up and in good shape. People whine and moan about the cost of electricity and utilities do listen and draw a line between reasonable up time and bitchy customers.

I am the last person on a dead end as well. While I understand the issues of maintaining the system. I lay the blame directly at the operators feet simply put they could take the silly amounts of money they spend maintaining the right of ways and begin burying the lines,  most of the problem would be solved permanently. Of course then you would not need all the line men, all the equipment they pay for to support working 25 feet in the air, you would not need to pay the crews to cut the branches year after year etc...etc...etc... I am quite positive my position is well known to the electric co-ops. I am also sure many people would fight it. I doubt anyone could say burying the lines would hurt service.  I am positive they make an informed decision to maintain a faulty system for monetary reasons. That being the case they should expect people to be unhappy and to express there displeasure.

All the above said I fully understood I would loose power and I frankly thought I would be down longer. while not happy I do understand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

You can't wait till there's a storm coming.  That's too late.  It has to be done year round.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You can't wait till there's a storm coming.  That's too late.  It has to be done year round.

Your right it's a big job and almost requires people working year round just to keep up.

They do it here year round, if they don't do it wherever you live it apparently was not a concern or their problem to budget that service ? 

We are very rural and it's done everywhere here, this is still no guarantee trees will not take out lines. We live 10 miles from the interstate or our little town, there were maby 3-4 poles still standing after the hurricane, most were not taken out by trees but by wind. It took weeks to get it all back working and those guys were almost killing themselves working to restore power.

Plus if you use a generator to keep freezers frozen they do NOT have to be run continuously as long as you don't open them unless necessary.

I did not run mine continually either, but I did run a full tank at a time, let generator run out of fuel then no power for a few hours during the day refill and let it run out again..................I know I still ran the generator more than actually necessary but a certain amount of comfort and entertainment for wife and kids when shut in for days is a necessity IMHO...... It also allowed me to keep up with the latest on the storm................Now if we can just get the washed out road straight it will be business as usual..................... someone brought home a backhoe from work and was messing about not sure what he may have accomplished with the quicksand simply adding dirt or sand on top wont help much. need to remove the slop then put in solid or let it dry out first. I will know tomorrow

I ran my 7500 generator from wake to sleep. No air conditioner (ceiling fans on) no microwave, no washer / dryer, no oven; never pushed the limit. With those exceptions we had all TVs, computers, lights, fridges, freezers, etc. Took about 5 gallons a day. Means available and corrosion not an issue I would love to have a natural gas fired whole home generator.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That's a fair point.  Jim made a similar point, the power companies and their contractors are overwhelmed because of the large number of trees.

Still if there is a hurricane forecasted the power companies line up their trucks to repair anticipated damage.  I guarantee you I can drive along a power line and spot a potential tree fall.  It just seems like common sense to me that it's MUCH cheaper to chop down a few trees rather than have to reconnect power lines.

Around my neck of the woods there is a company called Asplundh that does the contract work for Mon Power.  If I call the power company they will come out and inspect to see if the trees need trimming.  If approved then Asplundh come out and trims the offending trees just a hair below the power lines, not an inch more.  That means in a few years the same trees will need trimmed again.  The power companies need to be more preventative and active rather than reactive to keep power on.

• Like 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's a fair point.  Jim made a similar point, the power companies and their contractors are overwhelmed because of the large number of trees.

Still if there is a hurricane forecasted the power companies line up their trucks to repair anticipated damage.  I guarantee you I can drive along a power line and spot a potential tree fall.  It just seems like common sense to me that it's MUCH cheaper to chop down a few trees rather than have to reconnect power lines.

Around my neck of the woods there is a company called Asplundh that does the contract work for Mon Power.  If I call the power company they will come out and inspect to see if the trees need trimming.  If approved then Asplundh come out and trims the offending trees just a hair below the power lines, not an inch more.  That means in a few years the same trees will need trimmed again.  The power companies need to be more preventative and active rather than reactive to keep power on.

That is the same company who does the trimming here, they will cut back anything within a good distance from the lines, 6-8 feet.

They pick up and grind all the branches and it's shot it into a big truck. A few years ago we stopped and talked with them, they are looking for a place to dump what gets grinded without going far.   We probably had 10 loads dumped into the back of the yard and just let it decompose moving it a little with the tractor to keep it aired out and to kill any tree seeds from growing. It's not great stuff but it does decompose.

Some places around here have ditches for drainage, the county digs them out on occasion, and they are  usually looking for someplace to dump the dirt  close.  We got many loads like that also, maby an occasional can or bottle but very little. And it's almost always topsoil which settled in the ditches. 

A tractor with front end loader is needed.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
21 hours ago, T2K said:

Your post IS political in nature Dave and you should delete it or I will squeal to a Moderator, an action you are famous for. I am politically offended by it.  -Keith

Weak.  You could not have been triggered by that.  Looks like an attempt to get even.

We all have our filters that affect how we see the world.  I listen to Rush Limbaugh and EVERYTHING to him is seen through political filters.  I don't always see it the same way, even though Rush is right 98.5% of the time, according to him.  B)

Regarding the now taken-down Youtube video link, I thought it was funny as heck to see a reporterette who OBVIOUSLY had never been in a canoe before dramatically flailed around in the calm flood waters when two guys walked by her canoe with water up to their ankles.  I didn't see it as political, it was funny to me and I wanted to share the humor, not offend anybody.

To another person there is no doubt Mark Dice was taking some shots at fake news, and at some of the specific news networks.  That has a political bent to it.  I was focusing on the humor, others on the politics, but I can see both sides.

In this specific case Keith threatened to report me to the mods if I didn't do what he demanded.  That's OK with me, I don't fear the moderators.  I took the link out because of Keith the person, who made it clear he was offended.  It was just a silly Youtube video and I edited my own post to take it out because a fellow forum member asked me to.  Just that simple. 

Nothing personal.  :)

• Like 1

I saw it as the guy making fun of liars getting caught. 

Lying by implying something is happening, but clearly misleading. Clearly misleading not just their couple of friends, but a national audience of millions of people.

Lack of honor, morals, scruples or whatever you want to call it.

I could apply my deductive reasoning (that is always 100% correct). (satire people, satire)

Lay blame to a particular group of people that cry wolf then scream accusations of blame when they have left the gate open on purpose, for that purpose.

OK I will: bad people.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 10:19 AM, wvu80 said:

NOT political, it has THREE weather people faking being in the weather.  That is a pet peeve of mine, as I stated in an earlier post in this thread.   I could care less about politics, I don't want to discuss politics, I am sick of politics.

What I DO care about Keith is that fact that you object to the post.  For that reason only, I'm more than happy to delete it.  It's more important to me that we get along as forum members than to be a right fighter for a cause.

My apologies to you.  I did not mean to offend, I meant to bring a little humor to a weather event.

=== I checked a few pages back - you actually Did delete your post because one person thought it a political statement? Ridiculous.

I found it comical, not political. Every news organization, left and right, embellishes stories for ratings. Only those “digging” for a political meaning find them. I’d wager over half of CCC posts have a political flavor. Helll, there are signatures that lean political. And the mods are relaxed just enough to let things continue. Re-post it — 

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't fear the moderators

Is that a challenge?:)

Moderators are kind, pure, generous people who love cats who love Klipsch.    🐈🐈🐈     They are some of the finest human beings ever to walk the earth.

I on the other hand am a miserable person from a small, rural state who can't help sneaking politics into every conversation due to a brain condition caused when I fell out of a tree as a child.  It's not my fault!  DON'T BAN ME!  😥

+++

BTW, I got your invoice from Paypal under the heading "bribe request."  Did you get the $20 I sent you?  If you need more to keep me in good standing on the Klipsch Forums just send me another invoice under "Friends and Family."  We'll keep this PM just between us as you requested.  No one else will know.  👍  🤓

• Haha 1