Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

So, back to the storm.  No the other storm.  I trust Heel got that toaster he owes me out for shipping before the storm shut things down.  Otherwise I will be a toastless refugee without any help from usaa who specifically restricted toaster claims in my policy.  Hope all is well and you escaped major damage, Chuck.

=== no toaster rider? I’ve been giving you waay too much credit - 

I too hope ‘Heel has escaped the worst-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T2K said:

The inclusion of the mocking of a cable news network personality and later the 'FAKE NEWS' signage in the background was what I objected to. I recognized it for what it was, a further subliminal erosion of a free press. Which is vital to our democracy. In what way you ask? Take the election of 2016. Please. Maybe you're not as observant as I am.

Anyway, what did those aforementioned items have to do with the trumped-up on scene shots that the weather channel has done for years? And why were they included in the video?

Subliminal Perception. When peoples' thoughts, feelings and actions are influenced by stimuli without awareness. When perception about a product is more powerful than the awareness about that product. ... It occurs even when the stimulus is very weak but still can influence people.

Keith

So mocking liars is off limits?

And making fun of their superiors that allowed it to happen .... I mean if they did not rebuke those actions then they have allowed it to thrive.

Erosion of a portion of the press that pulls one or five over on us if we watch?

Spiedel?? He was fighting imaginary wind just to stand up. People way less than a stones throw behind him were strolling by unaffected. 

-*#!  `em if they can't take a joke

They offend the truth. & need to be called out.

You sure that you aren't influenced ?

3 hours ago, dtel said:

And this is normal, it's not the stores fault thay can't get delivery trucks and demand is much higher than normal.

Prepare the best you can and deal with it, before it happens. 

It's your responsibility to know when to do the last minute preparations, get fuel for generator or whatever. 

Millions of people know this for the rest they can blame whoever they want. It reminds me of some of the complaints from people who stayed and went to the superdome, they complained, " they were not given anything to eat ! "  It was last resort place, no food service should have been expected, they should have taken some self responsibility. 

Plan ahead, money has nothing to do with it,  it takes very little if you plan ahead and do a little at a time, but this requires planning ahead, not the week of an event. 

I don't mean to sound like I don't care but, we have been through this more than once, along with plenty others, the only person responsible for you is you. 

Did not imply it was the stores fault. I fully understand how the process works I was responsible for the deliveries that keeps the doors open. I agree That each person is supposed to be responsible for ones self.  (Thats why my freezers are full, and I now have a generator to run them in a time of need) I also get to help some less fortunate than me with food.

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

We all have our filters that affect how we see the world.  I listen to Rush Limbaugh and EVERYTHING to him is seen through political filters.  I don't always see it the same way, even though Rush is right 98.5% of the time, according to him.  B)

Regarding the now taken-down Youtube video link, I thought it was funny as heck to see a reporterette who OBVIOUSLY had never been in a canoe before dramatically flailed around in the calm flood waters when two guys walked by her canoe with water up to their ankles.  I didn't see it as political, it was funny to me and I wanted to share the humor, not offend anybody.

To another person there is no doubt Mark Dice was taking some shots at fake news, and at some of the specific news networks.  That has a political bent to it.  I was focusing on the humor, others on the politics, but I can see both sides.

In this specific case Keith threatened to report me to the mods if I didn't do what he demanded.  That's OK with me, I don't fear the moderators.  I took the link out because of Keith the person, who made it clear he was offended.  It was just a silly Youtube video and I edited my own post to take it out because a fellow forum member asked me to.  Just that simple. 

Nothing personal.  :)

Rush is an opioid addict.  

Why is this crap in a hurricane thread?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, joessportster said:

Did not imply it was the stores fault. I fully understand how the process works I was responsible for the deliveries that keeps the doors open. I agree That each person is supposed to be responsible for ones self.  (Thats why my freezers are full, and I now have a generator to run them in a time of need) I also get to help some less fortunate than me with food.

I do have to say, just from my experience and I hope it was the odd case. After running a freezer on a generator, later after a month or so it died, coincidence or not I don't know ? I do know it was a 5500-7500 peak generator,  I WAS TOLD ... these types of generators are a  not great for steady clean power, a whole house generator is much better, it has something with how the power is regulated and kept even. I will not get the whole house thing, just not interested or would want to pay for one and I would have to get a good size propane tank to go with it.

I have no idea if this is true but have heard it before...........I hope you have much better luck than we did years ago, and the freezer was all that was on the generator.

• Like 2

I thought we should all send a message - Hey Tarheel, then 4265 messages would overload the server, and lock up the east coast, and then the internet would begin a search for Chuck, Hey, have you seen this guy ? then stuff would be regular after he replied.... no strange post's... maybe lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Why is this crap in a hurricane thread?

The major crisis has now passed and we are in recovery mode, so I don't mind the thread drift so people can decompress.

I tried to add a little weather humor, but you see how that worked out.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I do have to say, just from my experience and I hope it was the odd case. After running a freezer on a generator, later after a month or so it died, coincidence or not I don't know ? I do know it was a 5500-7500 peak generator,  I WAS TOLD ... these types of generators are a  not great for steady clean power, a whole house generator is much better, it has something with how the power is regulated and kept even. I will not get the whole house thing, just not interested or would want to pay for one and I would have to get a good size propane tank to go with it.

I have no idea if this is true but have heard it before...........I hope you have much better luck than we did years ago, and the freezer was all that was on the generator.

I used a Coleman generator for the longest time before we got our whole house generator.  I'd pull the meter and clamp it in.   It would run my whole house but not the 240 volt stuff like my pool pump or central ac.  I used it for tv, our pc, ceiling fans, freezers, the fridge lights etc.  I never had an issue.

9 hours ago, T2K said:

Apparently you didn't watch the video. I can't re-watch it now so I'll have to rely on memory. The inclusion of the mocking of a cable news network personality and later the 'FAKE NEWS' signage in the background was what I objected to. I recognized it for what it was, a further subliminal erosion of a free press. Which is vital to our democracy. In what way you ask? Take the election of 2016. Please. Maybe you're not as observant as I am.

Anyway, what did those aforementioned items have to do with the trumped-up on scene shots that the weather channel has done for years? And why were they included in the video?

Subliminal Perception. When peoples' thoughts, feelings and actions are influenced by stimuli without awareness. When perception about a product is more powerful than the awareness about that product. ... It occurs even when the stimulus is very weak but still can influence people.

Keith

Other way around.  When you see a news reporter in a canoe pretending there's a massive flood as people walk by only ankle deep, that's indeed fake news, and regardless of party affiliation or preference, it should be called-out.  Until people hold reporters accountable, they will keep right on playing this game.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

^^^^^^^^

If you've never been through a bad hurricane, there's a lot that you don't know that you don't know.  You can read all the preparation literature you can get your hands on but it doesn't  prepare you for the next one like actually living through one does.

Exactly!  If you have a few tons of meat, you better be ready.  On the other hand, if you don't, you are free to evacuate and go somewhere which is not affected.

Haven't read through the last pages but wanted to report we are okay....LF, Jake, and me.  Just got electricity yesterday and internet this morning.  Not much time to chat now, over seeing the removal of a tree from LF's place (by crane).  The road to my house is still impassable but I walked in a few times.  No trees on house but trees down in the yard.

More later..........

Tarheel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6