Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

Hurricane Florence is expected to hit the east coast by Tuesday 9/11 with landfall on Thursday as a Cat 4 right at Myrtle Beach at 140 MPH.  North Myrtle Beach has already declared a state of emergency.  My son is in law enforcement in NMB and his department has already canceled all leave, all hands on deck. 

I'm more than a little worried as his department can ride out a Cat 3 storm like Harvey which hit a few years ago but if it's Cat 4 even fire personnel and LE will have a mandatory evacuation as they don't have any buildings which are rated to withstand Cat 4.

Are any of our Forum Members on the east coast in the way of Hurricane Florence?

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-09-hurricane-florence-forecast-southeast-coast

Hurrican Florence 2018.PNG

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Never trust the projections outside of 3 days.  Once you're within the 72 hour window they're close.  Outside 72 hours a coin flip may be more accurate.

Maybe not trust but you have to prepare.  I talked to my son last night.

Bottled water is already gone from all the shelves in Myrtle Beach.  He'll work his usual 3p-3a shift today and Tuesday, then all officers all shifts report at 6p on Wednesday for assignment.  If they predict Cat 4 coming ashore they will evacuate all emergency personnel further inland and anybody dumb enough to stay in town will be on their own if they get trapped.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Maybe not trust but you have to prepare.  I talked to my son last night.

Bottled water is already gone from all the shelves in Myrtle Beach.  He'll work his usual 3p-3a shift today and Tuesday, then all officers all shifts report at 6p on Wednesday for assignment.  If they predict Cat 4 coming ashore they will evacuate all emergency personnel further inland and anybody dumb enough to stay in town will be on their own if they get trapped.

We've duck taped bath tub drains closed and filled them with water in preparation.  It's handy to have if the power and water goes out as it can be used to fill tanks to flush toilets.  It can also be boiled to use as drinking water.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

We've duck taped bath tub drains closed and filled them with water in preparation.  It's handy to have if the power and water goes out as it can be used to fill tanks to flush toilets.  It can also be boiled to use as drinking water.

Scott said last night he was going to fill the bathtub with water.  He lives a half mile from the beach and said his bigger worry was not water, but whether or not his house would be standing if a 140 MPH Cat 4 comes ashore.

The duct tape is a good idea.  I'll pass that along.

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Maybe not trust but you have to prepare.

Absolutely.  Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

There's a huge difference in damage if the storm just moves 50 miles from it's predicted landfall.  When they're this far out, no one really knows where they'll land.  They just combine their spaghetti graphs and make a nice picture to look at so that people can prepare to panic.

• Like 2

Just an idea, in lieu of thinking about a .008 mil plastic bag holding 800 lbs of water, would be to fill up some totes with lids for the water storage, and stack 'em up in the tub, or buy an extra bathtub of your preferences to use as a lesser expensive alternative 500 gallon stainless steel tank, just an fyi you know, when reading about how the retail store shelves are thinning out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll be picking up a nice large trash can from Walmart on my way back from the beach today . Instead of filling the tub I fill the trash can so I can still bathe and use the water for flushing the toilet . I have plenty of drinking water . Then I dry out the trash can and take it back 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, windashine said:

Just an idea, in lieu of thinking about a .008 mil plastic bag holding 800 lbs of water, would be to fill up some totes with lids for the water storage, and stack 'em up in the tub, or buy an extra bathtub of your preferences to use as a lesser expensive alternative 500 gallon stainless steel tank, just an fyi you know, when reading about how the retail store shelves are thinning out

It's not the plastic holding any pressure it's just a liner, the tub holds the pressure.

21 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

I'll be picking up a nice large trash can from Walmart on my way back from the beach today . Instead of filling the tub I fill the trash can so I can still bathe and use the water for flushing the toilet . I have plenty of drinking water . Then I dry out the trash can and take it back 😜

The round kind can take more pressure than the square type. Empty 55 gallon plastic drums do real well, but probably hard to find at this point. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sunburnwilly said:

Another good way to store water is a DIY holding tank(outdoor)

I used these for years when we use to breed Koi fish and needed extra holding tanks. It's really simple and hold alot of water. I used farm fence wire cut ti 2' high to just make a ring whatever size you want just by bending the wire at the end to connect together. Put some visqueen in it hanging over the edges at the top and fill with water, it's that easy. I wouldn't go to high as it would increase the side pressure alot, but with regular farm fencing it can easily hold a couple feet in depth.

When your done roll up the wire to use again later and have visqueen ready to put it back up whenever needed. I just used 6 mil plastic and it lasted a long time.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/water-storage-tank

071 water storage tank.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Maybe you all can get the Corp Of Engineers to build you some big cement walls for protection like they did in New Orleans.

JJK

That worked well :ohmy:

I wouldn't do anything like in they do in New Orleans, except cook or party, there good at that. :emotion-19:

• Like 1