Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

What part of town makos?  I'm either in Windward Oaks or Leeward Lane off Greenville Loop depending on where I choose to ride it out.

I'm in the Echo Farms area. I think it would take a Hazel type surge before my house would flood, but I have 2 very old oak trees, which I love, but will be total liabilities if a major storm hits.

I hope to have all my electronics  and my vinyl sealed in plastic when the storm hits, but work obligations are preventing me from doing as much preparation as I would like. 

Best wishes for a safe outcome to everyone dealing with this storm. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, makos said:

I hope to have all my electronics  and my vinyl sealed in plastic when the storm hits, but work obligations are preventing me from doing as much preparation as I would like. 

Large contractor trash bags work great, strong and big enough to put a Cornwall in, one from the bottom and another over the top taped up. Many electronics can be covered, it's a cheap way to protect if a roof were to disappear, perfect no but cheap and covers alot.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

You guys all stay safe down there ya here?  Gonna be totally insane from the way it sounds.  Don't forget to check in!

21317766_1737618559874786_797192950426908016_n.jpg

He was probably loaded :blush:

They should do like here, (if they don't) there are lanes crossing to have both sides of the interstate heading away from the coast after a certain point in time. One of the few good things they have done.

One really odd thing we found was under all signs even an hour from here when heading South had another sign underneath that was always covered in something black ? After Katrina the signs were uncovered, they said "Interstate CLOSED at state line".  These signs were there for many years so they knew at some point the poop was going to hit the fan, the signs are now covered up again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

That was funny, I don't care if people like to get loaded one way or another, just try to not stupid, well stupid to that point at least. :lol: It make the rest of the loaded people look stupid along with them.

Your right there always one of those, hold my beer and watch this people in the crowd.  I try to not be that person, i already do enough stupid things on my own, I don't need an audience watching. :blush:

• Haha 1

@dtelOh trust me, here and reality are two different places.  I'm ALL about the laff but enjoy sitting back watching the morons more than you know!   The lady I bought my house from in Myrtle just txted me and said it's not gonna be a problem...  Hahaha...  This is from a beautiful woman who is in her final stages of fighting cancer in all of her lymph nodes.  She has ridden every major storm out it seems.  She's at least safe in a facility there somewhere she says.  Sighs.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtel said:

Large contractor trash bags work great, strong and big enough to put a Cornwall in, one from the bottom and another over the top taped up. Many electronics can be covered, it's a cheap way to protect if a roof were to disappear, perfect no but cheap and covers alot.

Yup, that's what I'm using. At work we call them "body Bags". Don't mean to be morbid, but I consider them to be lifesavers. My Chorus IIs fit with room to spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, wvu80 said:

Maybe not trust but you have to prepare.  I talked to my son last night.

Bottled water is already gone from all the shelves in Myrtle Beach.  He'll work his usual 3p-3a shift today and Tuesday, then all officers all shifts report at 6p on Wednesday for assignment.  If they predict Cat 4 coming ashore they will evacuate all emergency personnel further inland and anybody dumb enough to stay in town will be on their own if they get trapped.

I'm really expecting some guy from The Weather Channel to be reporting LIVE.

Showing us all the rain and wind force. Just like they did last time.

Takes real brains to do that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

The lady I bought my house from in Myrtle just txted me and said it's not gonna be a problem...  Hahaha...  She has ridden every major storm out it seems.  She's at least safe in a facility there somewhere she says.  Sighs.  

A lot of people don't have anywhere to go.  My son in North Myrtle said they expect the storm surge to be 23 feet above sea level.  His house sits 26 feet above sea level a half mile from the beach.

The problem is not just the event, but the clean up.  There will be so much destruction of power lines resources will be stretched to the limit to restore power.  It could be days and maybe even weeks to get electric back.  There's no way to get or keep food fresh, the water treatment plants will be contaminated, downed trees, gas stations need electricity to dispense fuel.  It will be a mess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

A lot of people don't have anywhere to go.  My son in North Myrtle said they expect the storm surge to be 23 feet above sea level.  His house sits 26 feet above sea level a half mile from the beach.

The problem is not just the event, but the clean up.  There will be so much destruction of power lines resources will be stretched to the limit to restore power.  It could be days and maybe even weeks to get electric back.  There's no way to get or keep food fresh, the water treatment plants will be contaminated, downed trees, gas stations need electricity to dispense fuel.  It will be a mess.

Could be.  It happened to us in Houston a handful of years back.  There were trees on houses, across streets, etc.  Falling trees pulled power lines down into the streets.  Even though we finally got electricity back after 2 weeks without, it was a real mess for probably a month or more.  Hauling of debris went on for probably 4 or 5 months.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I totally agree with you.  She's about 6 blocks West of the beach in Myrtle proper.  1st floor condo, but she's not worried about any of that now.  Story behind all of that but she won't budge.  Couldn't if she wanted to now she's that bad.  Hope your son stays safe!  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Hope your son stays safe!  

Thanks.  I'm talking to him everyday and the department has their evacuation plans in place. 

The problem for the woman you mentioned is if she gets in trouble while that storm surge is hitting none of the emergency personnel will be allowed to go out due to extreme danger to their lives.  She will be on her own.

Scott will work his regular shift tonight until 3a.  He said they have stopped issuing speeding tickets for the duration and they are canvassing the neighborhoods looking to deter looters.  Wednesday at 6p all shifts will report and be on 24 hours mandatory overtime until further notice.  He won't be going back to his home to sleep.  They've already evacuated the prisoners further inland so for rest he will sleep in a jail cell!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Could be.  It happened to us in Houston a handful of years back.  There were trees on houses, across streets, etc.  Falling trees pulled power lines down into the streets.  Even though we finally got electricity back after 2 weeks without, it was a real mess for probably a month or more.  Hauling of debris went on for probably 4 or 5 months.

That's how it was after Rita here.  The city went to a local airport and dug a trench 100 yards or so long and as wide as they could make it.  They drug trees and threw them in the pit for weeks while they kept a fire going.  There was no where else to put all the downed trees.

10 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

A month? The folks down there are good at that.

Hugo was in the last of Sept `89. I had pieces of trees stacked for the entire 150' of my curb 15' in, all six feet high (over my head) until August of 1990. Everyone did. Spontaneous combustion of the decaying wood (lots of pine) was happening all over by the next spring. It was weird, smoky and smelled like a bonfire was around the corner for months.

This mornings news has Florence kinda stalling around Wilmington (Still out to sea) then turning south/west down through SC.....I am on the Border belt they are calling for Trop Storm force winds ( 39-74 mph gusts )  We are all set with water food gas etc... I hate the idea of high winds in a mobile home  May hop in the van and head west an hour or so till the Brunt of the storm passes, Dont want the boys to get scared or hurt..............

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joessportster said:

This mornings news has Florence kinda stalling around Wilmington (Still out to sea) then turning south/west down through SC.....I am on the Border belt they are calling for Trop Storm force winds ( 39-74 mph gusts )  We are all set with water food gas etc... I hate the idea of high winds in a mobile home  May hop in the van and head west an hour or so till the Brunt of the storm passes, Dont want the boys to get scared or hurt..............

Best of luck, Joe. Be safe.

• Like 2

The local TV news station was reporting live from the West Virginia Turnpike which is I-77 going south.   As the reporter was talking there was truck after truck after truck with the booms on them from the local electric company heading south.  The Turnpike Commission has temporarily lifted the weight restrictions so repair vehicles can easily get to the hurricane zone.

As I look up (I'm between Columbus and Pittsburgh) I can see the front of the hurricane fingers moving counter-clockwise.  They look like dark low hanging clouds and they are curved.  Usually they are higher, wispy looking and curved.  This looks different than anything I've seen before in my lifetime.

• Like 1