KG4 replacement?

Russel

Hi, folks.

New guy here.

After 32 years with the same lovely pair of KG4's, it appears I must break it off.

I'm looking for something taller and slimmer, or something more petite.

I don't want to give up much performance.  Where, in the current Klipsch lineup, should I look?  How do bookshelf speakers compare to floor standing models these days? 

The room is decent size, but my ears will be only about 9' from the speakers.  Emmylou Harris, Diana Krall, Springsteen, Stones.  I listen to CD's.

I live out in the sticks, and will have limited opportunities to audition speakers.

Thanks, in advance.

Hi, well you'd have to choose one of their taller, slimmer floor standers or go to the bookshelf line. You'll lose bass response of course with the bookshelf speaker and need decent stands which adds to the cost. As an audio friend once told me, "you can't get big speaker sound from a small speaker" which is basically true. That's a long lasting relationship with the Kg4's I had a pair and enjoyed them. I'm on the new Heresy III's and I am very, very impressed. The rap on them is lack of bass. I don't hear that, what is there is tight and impactful and I'll take that, especially for music...

12 hours ago, Russel said:

I'm looking for something taller and slimmer, or something more petite.

I don't want to give up much performance.  Where, in the current Klipsch lineup, should I look?

Any (recent) floorstanding speaker with any performance will be MUCH taller. One suggestion is Forte's ... 12" taller, (sorry, only) 1" slimmer, but sound is better.  Think your best bet maybe Heresy's :D 

Don't even THINK of buying anything unless its low end frequency response equals the 38Hz of your kg4's. You don't want to go backwards, do ya?

I'd say check the Klipsch web site for the floorstanding models that meet your footprint needs and match or exceed the kg4 specs. Otherwise, consider a pair of bookshelf Klipsch's on stands and a subwoofer, which you can tuck discreetly out of the way. Bookshelf speakers by themselves won't reach as low as your kg4's and you'll quickly notice.

The kg4 was, and is (on the used market) such a great performer that it will be hard to beat.

20 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

The kg4 was, and is (on the used market) such a great performer that it will be hard to beat.

Quite agree ... had a pair and loved them.  Got Forte's and had to redo the xovers and add Ti diaphragms to match their sound :(  

Willland, thanks for the welcome.  I'm in eastern, rural Washington State.

I have a subwoofer, a small Infinity that has been entirely adequate with the KG4's.

I am going smaller.  So, I'm looking at the floorstanding R-24F or a bookshelf like the RP-150M.

Right now I'm leaning toward small bookshelf speakers for TV and background music, and focusing on my headphone setup.

(Sigh.)

I would encourage you to stick with the rp series and stay away from the r-24f if possible. Take a look at the rp-250f, it should be considerably better than the r-24f. The rp is reference premier and the r is just the basic reference with is a considerably lower line.

If I we're going small and money was not a huge issue in your situation I'd rip all my CDs to FLAC and get whatever Sonos fits your needs. A pair of play5s for stereo when seriously listening then move one around to different rooms. Overtime some play 1s for the kitchen and bedroom. 

I had KG4s great speakers. Good luck!

You can't go wrong with the RB 66 ll's. Drive them with clean music and power. (75W Yammy for me is lots)

Only $300 @ Amazon right now.  I am using these with an R-10SW sub

in an apartment and will probably part with the Sub cause I don't do movies and I like my neighbors.

Thanks for taking an interest, everybody.

I now have a pair of Definitive Technology bookshelf speakers upstairs, and I'm shopping for an amp.

They aren't hooked up yet, but I now have a pair of KG4's in my basement TV/workout room, and I think that's kind of cool.