PowerGate amp

adam2434

Anyone have any experience with the PowerGate amp (small black model)?

They are being sold for 1/2 of their original price on Amazon.  So, I wonder if they are being discontinued.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed.  

I ordered one yesterday and will receive it in a couple days.  I plan to use it for a bedroom system with a pair of NHT SB3 bookshelf speakers.  I will also plan to use this system as a portable system for vacations.

It has decent power and ample connections/features.  I will use it with Spotify Connect, optical from TV, and Bluetooth (aptX) when on vacation.

• Like 1

No love for the PowerGate amp, it seems.

Based on the majority of what I've read so far, the wi-fi set-up, stability, and Klipsch Stream app are frustrating and buggy.

I knew that going in, so I'll just return it if I can't get a stable and consistent Spotify Connect stream and bluetooth connection.

For the current $250 price, I love the features, specs, and versatility "on paper".  

We'll see in a couple days...

Received the PowerGate yesterday and thought I'd post some initial impressions and observations, pretty much in the order I observed them.

The good:

• Wi-fi set-up with the Stream app was pretty straightforward and painless.
  • Spotify Connect is working well with no drop-outs.  The Stream app does not need to be running for Spotify Connect, typical of Spotify Connect.
  • Media Server in the Stream app recognized Minimserver running on my PC, allowing playback of the flac files on my PC.
  • Overall sound quality is pretty darn good. 
    • I've been testing it with my garage speakers (somewhat hot-rodded Polk Monitor 7C's in the upper corners of my garage.  I redid the crossovers with Dayton Precision caps and Mills resistors, and also installed the uprgraded factory silk dome tweeters a couple years ago). 
    • The Powergate seems to have ample power to drive the 7C's to the highest level I would ever need in the garage with no signs of distortion.  Broke out the SPL meter and measured 90 dB peaks at around 18 feet from the speakers.  That is louder than I would typically listen in the garage.  I would venture to guess that it would drive most speakers to satisfying levels.
    • For reference, I normally power the 7C's with my primary 2-channel gear - an Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre and Rotel RB-1582 MKII amp at 200 w/ch.  Sure, the Emotiva and Rotel combo sounds subjectively better (as they should), with more lively dynamics, better bass punch, and more resolution.  However, the Powergate actually sounds better than I thought it would for a $250 (current price on Amazon) all-in-one unit.  
  • Briefly tested Bluetooth - connected right away and had good range.  I used aptX on my Android and the sound quality over Bluetooth was very good for Bluetooth.

The not-so-good:

• Stream app is clunky and not intuitive compared to Sonos.  I use a Sonos Connect for the main system and we have a Play5 in the kitchen.
  • Utility app to update firmware got stuck on my Android phone.  Borrowed my wife's iPhone, installed the app, and was able to update to the latest firmware (I think).  I say "I think" because I could not find a way to check the firmware version running on the unit.
  • Volume increments using Spotify Connect are too coarse.  Jumps from too low to too high in one increment.  You have to use the unit's volume knob or remote to fine tune volume level.
  • When using Bluetooth, my phone will not control the volume.  This is strange and disappointing.  Lowering volume all the way will mute the sound, but there is no volume control range.  One increment from the min setting setting produces the same volume as the max setting, so volume control from my phone was not possible.  Every other Bluetooth device I've used allows volume control from the phone.  This is a pretty big flaw in the Powergate.  Fortunately, I will only use Bluetooth in travel/vacation scenarios.  Guess I will just need to adjust volume with the remote or on the unit.
  • The bottom of the unit runs VERY hot after a playing a while.  Seems like not much consideration was put into thermal management and heat-sinking.  The top of the unit has no vents - seems like that would have been a simple solution to allow much of the heat to escape.  This heat issue causes concerns for long-term reliability.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad so far.

Again, this will ultimately be used in a bedroom system and while on vacation, so I think it will do very well for these uses.

Have not tried the optical or analog inputs yet.

• Like 1

Sure.  I will test flac files on the PC using a Chromecast Audio via optical.

As mentioned above, flac files will stream directly with Media Server using the Stream app, but the Chromecast will allow a test with optical.

I would not expect a sound quality difference between direct streaming and Chromecast optical, given that both likely use the same DAC in the Powergate.

More on the heat issue...

When off (standby), the unit stays warm.

When on, the bottom of the unit gets VERY hot, even when nothing is being amplified.  Therefore, most of the heat is not from the work of driving speakers.  This makes me wonder if the heat is from the CPU and/or network card.

As an experiment today, I set the Powergate on top of a fan (link below) that I use for another component.  The Powergate has no top or bottom vents, but I'm hoping that some air flow on the bottom of the unit will help, since that's where it gets so hot.  I'm leaving it on today, playing music at a moderate level while I am working.  I set the fan to the lowest speed.  I'll check the heat level later this afternoon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tested the PowerGate optical input with a Chromecast Audio.  It works fine, and I believe it sounds as good as direct streaming the same content.

Also, setting the PowerGate on the fan above (at lowest speed) resulted in the bottom of the unit being just warm after 12 hours of continuous operation.  It runs very hot without the fan, as mentioned above.  Setting it on a fan is a bit clunky and takes away from the small form factor and single box solution.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,  powergate owner/user :

I'm thinking about building my hi-fi system around the powergate klipsch.

I want to connect my Pro-Ject TT, my TV and my PC and eventually to the Internet.

For the record player, no question on this side 😉.
I think connect the PC with RJ45 port, TV with toslink and internet via wifi.

Is this connection scheme correct?

5 hours ago, Leygion said:

Hi everyone,  powergate owner/user :

I'm thinking about building my hi-fi system around the powergate klipsch.

I want to connect my Pro-Ject TT, my TV and my PC and eventually to the Internet.

For the record player, no question on this side 😉.
I think connect the PC with RJ45 port, TV with toslink and internet via wifi.

Is this connection scheme correct?

A direct PC connection will use the USB B input (in this case the Powergate is used as a USB DAC and amplifier).  I believe a PC driver download is needed for USB audio.

Internet/network connection can be over wi-fi or ethernet cable.

For TV, yes, toslink.  If your TV has a digital output format setting, set it to PCM/LPCM, as the Poweregate can only process PCM/LPCM.

Thanks for your answers adam !

The PC it will keep its current sound setup for regular comput... gaming !😊

I intended the network connection to listen the music stored in the PC from time to time when not in front of the PC.

By the way, why is there IN and OUT RJ45 connections ?

From which equiment should come the IN signal and to where should go the OUT ?

Thanks again for your time !

The RJ45 IN should be connected to your router or ethernet switch.  

The RJ45 OUT is optional.  It can be connected to your PC or another device.  

The RJ45 OUT means that it has an internal ethernet switch, allowing network pass-through to another device (a nice convenience feature).  

22 hours ago, rockhound said:

Get the 160's I hear great things about them.

Yes, I have an eye (or two) on these !

The all-new RP-600 are, to me, even more attractive but it seems that they do not have the little stand that comes with the 160.

AND the 160 can be found (brand new) for half the price the 600.

Need to find a place where I could listen to them.

• 2 weeks later...

So I used the Powergate and a pair of NHT SB3 that I had lying around (found cheap on CL a few years ago) and made a semi-portable “system on a board”.

Why?  Not really sure.  Just had a notion to do this.  Geeky version of arts and crafts, I guess.

Actually, I’ll find a home for it and will also plan to take it when we travel by car for vacations.  My sister works for a packaging company, and can have a custom-size box made.

The NHT SB3 are upside-down to get the tweeter on top.  Because they have threaded inserts on the back, I knew they would be ideal for mounting to brackets, once customized.  Drilling new holes in the brackets to line up with the speaker’s threaded inserts was a real pain with a hand drill – brackets are at least 3/16” thick.

The fan is screwed into the board from the underside and the Powergate is zip tied to the board.  The fan is necessary because the bottom of the Powergate gets very hot.  Fan runs off the Powergate’s service USB, which is convenient.

The combo sounds great and has plenty of output capability.  Of course, there is not much stereo separation, but the intent is something that can be easily moved in one piece, and is somewhat portable.

sm 20181021_162131.jpg

sm 20181021_162325.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

After playing with the Powergate on the "system on a board" for a few weeks, I can say that the Powergate sounds good to me as a digital integrated amp, and powers the NHT SB3's to satisfying levels.

However, my experience with using DTS Play-Fi and the Media Server input (FLAC files on my PC) has been pretty horrible.  It is basically useless because the connection to the server only lasts a few songs before it drops.  From what I've read, this is a common problem with Play-Fi.  Play-Fi also routes local media server files through your phone, then on to the Play-Fi device.  This is not typical DLNA with a server, renderer, and controller.  If the Powergate was a typical DLNA renderer, I expect that local files would work better.

I use a Sonos Connect and 2 Chromecast Audio's with these same FLAC files (3 separate systems), and the server connection is stable and reliable with these devices.

I am ditching Play-Fi on the Powergate for local FLAC files, and will just use a Chromecast Audio connected via toslink.  This kills the all-in-one-box factor, but at least local FLAC files will work.

Good news is that Spotify Premium does not use the Play-Fi app.  It uses the Spotify Connect feature, so streaming is directly from the Spotify servers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the latest update of the 'Stream' and 'Stream Utility' applications I am very satisfied of my Powergate.

After a few misadventure with the wireless playback of the music situated on my PC (too far to be plugged in) I now use the Windows DTS Play Fi app.

And it works faultlessly.

And I use the app on my Android tablet for streamin.

Wired sources are my TV and soon the TT.

Otherwise I think I will place the amp on a laptop cooler as it gets very hot... and that while we are in winter.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, Leygion said:

Thanks to the latest update of the 'Stream' and 'Stream Utility' applications I am very satisfied of my Powergate.

After a few misadventure with the wireless playback of the music situated on my PC (too far to be plugged in) I now use the Windows DTS Play Fi app.

And it works faultlessly.

And I use the app on my Android tablet for streamin.

Wired sources are my TV and soon the TT.

Otherwise I think I will place the amp on a laptop cooler as it gets very hot... and that while we are in winter.

Does this mean you have the Powergate connected to wi-fi, and that you are using the Klispch Stream Play-Fi app on your tablet...and it is working well?

If so, good to hear!

I've had unreliable streaming of PC FLAC files with the Powergate on wi-fi and using the Klipsch Stream app on my phone.  The server connection would drop randomly and often.  I simply connected a Chromecast Audio via optical cable.  The downside of this is that the optical input is no longer available for other sources, like a TV (if only the Powergate had 2 optical inputs!).

Interestingly, the new version of The Three speaker has Chromecast built-in.  The original version of The Three has DTS Play-Fi, so this makes me wonder if Klipsch is abandoning Play-Fi and migrating to Chromecast for wi-fi streaming and multi-room audio.  If so, this is a smart move, IMO, as I feel that Chromecast is a much more stable streaming platform.