PowerGate amp

adam2434

Hi Adam, I use the Klipsch Stream only for radio and Spotify/Amazon/... streaming.

To play files from the PC (including Flac) I use the DTS Play Fi Windows application.

I tried sending music from the PC to the powergate with wi-fi, MP3 files was hmm... Ok... but Flac files were not played. 

• 3 months later...

I just bought a Klipsch Power gate on Amazon for 150 because Sonos is just really expensive.  I am trying to use it for some outdoor speakers.  Seems how hot the amp runs will become a problem I have to solve.

For now I have it hooked up in my kitchen to Def tech AW6500's outdoor speakers, and streaming Amazon seems tinny with very little bass response.  Getting an EQ these days on streaming music has become a challenge.  Almost sounds like the AMP is doing some sort of cross over for main channels and sends the low frequency to the sub out.  Hard to find out many specs on these products. 

Going to try and locate an old wired amp to connect via 3.5 mm to my phone to rule out the speakers. 

On 3/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Briggs said:

I just bought a Klipsch Power gate on Amazon for 150 because Sonos is just really expensive.  I am trying to use it for some outdoor speakers.  Seems how hot the amp runs will become a problem I have to solve.

For now I have it hooked up in my kitchen to Def tech AW6500's outdoor speakers, and streaming Amazon seems tinny with very little bass response.  Getting an EQ these days on streaming music has become a challenge.  Almost sounds like the AMP is doing some sort of cross over for main channels and sends the low frequency to the sub out.  Hard to find out many specs on these products. 

Going to try and locate an old wired amp to connect via 3.5 mm to my phone to rule out the speakers. 

To my knowledge, the Powergate does not have any crossover built-in.

Were you previously driving the AW6500's with a different amp?

Might also want to verify that you have speaker wire polarity correct.

I don't have any bass complaints with a Powergate driving NHT SB3 bookshelf speakers.  Now, its wi-fi streaming reliability, that's another story...not good at all in my experience.  I've resorted to using a Chromecast Audio connected via optical.

You might consider picking up a Chromecast Audio (discontinued, but still available on eBay).  The Chromecast Audio has bass and treble controls for a bit of sound tweaking.

Regarding the heat, I have mine sitting on top of an AC Infinity fan with the air blowing up.  Keeps it cool.

• 8 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Briggs said:

Just bought one and so far the software seems to work better than onkyo tx 8260. I do have an issue with too much bass with my speakers (vintage electrovoice interface 3) that makes it almost unlistenable for my tastes. Really to bad they didn't include software EQ in this. I will either have to return it or only use with much smaller speakers.

Edited by tstiemer