La Scala bass

SonicSeeker

I was wondering what different choices are out there for improved bass for the La Scala.

No subwoofers please.

If I am reading it correctly the Crites cast woofers are not an option on this model of La Scala's which is unfortunate, I really liked what they did for my Belle's.

Is the ported lower section worth it. Do you have to change crossovers, I don't want to. I have Custom AA's I would rather leave alone.

post-57741-0-66160000-1409102874.jpg

I was wondering what different choices are out there for improved bass for the La Scala.
No subwoofers please.
If I am reading it correctly the Crites cast woofers are not an option on this model of La Scala's which is unfortunate, I really liked what they did for my Belle's.
Is the ported lower section worth it. Do you have to change crossovers, I don't want to. I have Custom AA's I would rather leave alone.
post-57741-0-66160000-1409102874.jpg.2b20ba77ac9dafb79fe5dc609cb68d2a.jpg

How do you have them positioned? Mine are elevated about 14 inches, toed in a bit, and about a foot from the wall at the closest point. Granted mine have AL-3 crossovers, and I use the variable flat loudness on my Yamaha preamp, but I get plenty of bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, baron167 said:

How do you have them positioned? Mine are elevated about 14 inches, toed in a bit, and about a foot from the wall at the closest point. Granted mine have AL-3 crossovers, and I use the variable flat loudness on my Yamaha preamp, but I get plenty of bass.

You actually have yours elevated 14 inches. What changes did that produce with the sound.

Do you have a picture?

Many do what you are contemplating and are happy with the results but it is not something I would do. The reason being you are turning the horn loaded bass unit into a port bass system. There is an argument that the horn loaded bass of a LaScala only goes to something like 90db and below that it is more like a conventional cone speaker but then it is a sealed system and not a port system. Better in my opinion to use a quality sub in conjunction with the LaScala's for frequencies below 90hz. 

Ditto the above.  If you want more low end, build a folded horn sub of some type that many have mentioned on here.  (or just add a powered sub and see how it sounds)  I built a pair of Belle's that are anemic in the low in like the LS's; to augment that, I'm going to build a sub to take care of it.  But that's just me.

You actually have yours elevated 14 inches. What changes did that produce with the sound.
Do you have a picture?

Elevated the sound field. They are sitting on a piece of insulation purchased at Home Depot and on restaurant shelving. I think the insulation actually improved the low end response, but I have no data to prove that (only what I hear). I will post a pic as soon as I find one...

Elevated the sound field. They are sitting on a piece of insulation purchased at Home Depot and on restaurant shelving. I think the insulation actually improved the low end response, but I have no data to prove that (only what I hear). I will post a pic as soon as I find one...

This shows one on the insulation and shelf/rack. As far as positioning, this is Not it's final resting place.223fd1be4dca9615c49a5ea1aed0dfe0.png

2 minutes ago, baron167 said:

This shows one on the insulation and shelf/rack. As far as positioning, this is Not it's final resting place.223fd1be4dca9615c49a5ea1aed0dfe0.png

Thanks for the picture. I have wondered what they would sound like with the tweeter and mid horn up closer to ear level.

• Like 1

No subwoofers please.
post-57741-0-66160000-1409102874.jpg.2b20ba77ac9dafb79fe5dc609cb68d2a.jpg

Put them on the floor. Stuff them in a corner as far as they will go and toe them in 45 degrees. PWK said every speaker made benefits from corner placement. The walls, floor and ceiling become part of the speaker like a K Horn to some extent. My LaScalas are corner placed as well as my Heresys. Don’t take my word for it, this info came from the Colonel himself.

• Like 2

Yep #5 above. Elevating the LaScala cannot be good for the bass. It gets the squawker and tweeter up closer to ear level though. i would think if you want that elevation the bass port mod would be a good way to go.

Not in my experience.

How is the bass effected/affected (never keep those two straight) if you built a platform to elevate them? Say 1/2 in plywood top and bottom and 2x4s on 12" centers...sort of like a floor in a house. I'm curious as to what actually is considered a cavity? In a multi level house anything but the basement would be empty under the speaker. Or is it the entire plane of the floor extending beyond the speaker coupled to it that matters?

How is the bass effected/affected (never keep those two straight) if you built a platform to elevate them? Say 1/2 in plywood top and bottom and 2x4s on 12" centers...sort of like a floor in a house. I'm curious as to what actually is considered a cavity? In a multi level house anything but the basement would be empty under the speaker. Or is it the entire plane of the floor extending beyond the speaker coupled to it that matters?

The plane under the speaker is reflective. This is why speakers mounted at ceiling should be upside down. Elevate them off the floor and you lose that reflection. Think of sound as light, shine a flashlight into a mirror and look at the reflection on a wall. The reflected light is twice as bright as the direct light. Place a speaker in a corner and you have two walls, a floor, and the ceiling providing four reflective surfaces thus eight times more efficient. The corner is a horn itself. A cavity under the speaker blurs the reflection from the floor loosing efficiency in the bass frequencies.

• Thanks 1

If all you care about is MORE bass, then yes, you are correct.

If you care about the rest of the audio spectrum, placing most speakers in corners is not recommended.

I liken Cornwalls in corners vs. away from room boundaries like this:

The former sounds like a speaker, the latter sounds like music.

But as always. Do what you like, YMMV, to each his own, suit yourself....yada, yada yada.......

Shakey