La Scala bass

SonicSeeker

On 9/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, baron167 said:

This shows one on the insulation and shelf/rack. As far as positioning, this is Not it's final resting place.223fd1be4dca9615c49a5ea1aed0dfe0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to add that I think the insulation sheet acts as a floor as it is in direct contact with the La Scala and the rack shelf. I am often surprised at how much bass I am experiencing, actually. I'll have to meter some music and post the results. This was a pic I took when moving them. The sliders are not under the rack and as this is not the position it's in.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, SonicSeeker said:

I was wondering what different choices are out there for improved bass for the La Scala.

No subwoofers please.

If I am reading it correctly the Crites cast woofers are not an option on this model of La Scala's which is unfortunate, I really liked what they did for my Belle's.

Is the ported lower section worth it. Do you have to change crossovers, I don't want to. I have Custom AA's I would rather leave alone.

The cast frame Crites woofer can be installed if you are willing to shave some wood from inside the doghouse, but I would suggest try adding some bass boost EQ and adjusting speaker placement before changing parts.

IIRC your La Scalas may have the K-43 woofers. If yes, you can add a lot of EQ while experimenting.

4 hours ago, avguytx said:

Which one is that on his website?  The site is about as clear as mud.  Size wise, that would be doable in my upstairs room with how the walls are 5' on the sides then angle up to 8' height.

Edit:  I think I finally found it.  What woofer did you use in the cabinet and what amp runs it?  Do you run LS's or Belles?  

I have 2 of the woofers for the Table Tubas... never taken out of the box.  Not sure what I paid but I'll sell for less.  PM me if interested.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Why?  F-20's are so much easier to build and have a smaller footprint.  They'll even go 1 or 2 Hz lower and use the same driver.

It has been so long I honestly don't remember the reasons I decided against the F-20.   Seems like I was staying away from a tapped horn because of the definite need for EQ but I might need a little either way.  I was also going with the low profile version of the THT so there was the placement capability taking up only 18"x18" of floor space. 

10 minutes ago, muel said:

It has been so long I honestly don't remember the reasons I decided against the F-20.   Seems like I was staying away from a tapped horn because of the definite need for EQ but I might need a little either way.  I was also going with the low profile version of the THT so there was the placement capability taking up only 18"x18" of floor space. 

The F-20 is not a tapped horn.  You're probably thinking of the Lil Wrecker.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The F-20 is not a tapped horn.  You're probably thinking of the Lil Wrecker.

That sub I posted under my Belle is a Lil Wrecker (Lil Mike). Much smaller and only uses a 6.5" sub. I run two of them to try to keep up with the Belles. The do a very good job up to a point. They system in in a small room and music only so they do the trick. No eq. I hope to build a F-20 or something similar if I ever do a dedicated music room bigger than where I use them now (12x24). I am not a big fan of direct radiating subs except for electronic music or movies, which I currently do not do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

That sub I posted under my Belle is a Lil Wrecker (Lil Mike). Much smaller and only uses a 6.5" sub. I run two of them to try to keep up with the Belles. The do a very good job up to a point. They system in in a small room and music only so they do the trick. No eq. I hope to build a F-20 or something similar if I ever do a dedicated music room bigger than where I use them now (12x24). I am not a big fan of direct radiating subs except for electronic music or movies, which I currently do not do.

The Lil Wrecker uses a 15 inch driver in a 29 cu ft box.  I belive you have an Exodus Anarchy driver in a 25 hz tapped horn.  I built one of those for my daughter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Why?  F-20's are so much easier to build and have a smaller footprint.  They'll even go 1 or 2 Hz lower and use the same driver.

Easy to build is the only advantage. You are never going to hear 1-2 Hz in all reality, what you are going to hear is the 6-12 dB increase in volume from simple boundary loading that pretty much translates to doubling or quadrupling cabinets.

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The Lil Wrecker uses a 15 inch driver in a 29 cu ft box.  I belive you have an Exodus Anarchy driver in a 25 hz tapped horn.  I built one of those for my daughter. 

yeah, my bad.  My fact checker took a job in Washington for more money. I got my Lil' Mike and Lil' Wrecker mixed up. Now back to the original topic of LS bass.

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

What's the finished height? 

72”. The distance between the opening and the floor is 12”. This also works well firing at the ceiling. I have 9 foot ceilings so It just made more sense to build legs and aim it down. The sound is similar either way.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, wdecho said:

Many do what you are contemplating and are happy with the results but it is not something I would do. The reason being you are turning the horn loaded bass unit into a port bass system. There is an argument that the horn loaded bass of a LaScala only goes to something like 90db and below that it is more like a conventional cone speaker but then it is a sealed system and not a port system. Better in my opinion to use a quality sub in conjunction with the LaScala's for frequencies below 90hz. 

F20 all the way.