La Scala bass

SonicSeeker

You are not going to get the LaScala bass bin to go lower than it is designed for. The speaker is enclosed in a relatively small sealed case and that is going to limit the amount of low bass it will produce. The port attachment is the way you want to go if you cannot fit a sub somewhere in the room. I listened for many years with my LaScala's without a sub and was satisfied with not having real low frequencies. I do use my sub most of the time now though. The bass the LaScala does produce is outstanding and you are going to lose some of that edge with a port system. 

6 minutes ago, wdecho said:

I listened for many years with my LaScala's without a sub and was satisfied with not having real low frequencies.

I loved my previous pair. After dropping the mids a tad they were superb with the 2A3s.

Bruce

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

I loved my previous pair. After dropping the mids a tad they were superb with the 2A3s.

Bruce

Yes, my finding as well. Dropping the mids 2 or 3 db has the affect of increasing bass. 

11 hours ago, SonicSeeker said:

I was wondering what different choices are out there for improved bass for the La Scala.

No subwoofers please.

If I am reading it correctly the Crites cast woofers are not an option on this model of La Scala's which is unfortunate, I really liked what they did for my Belle's.

Is the ported lower section worth it. Do you have to change crossovers, I don't want to. I have Custom AA's I would rather leave alone.

post-57741-0-66160000-1409102874.jpg

There is no reason Crites woofers would not work in a La Scala just like they worked in your Belle Klipsch.  There is also no reason to change your K-33s, either.  The data others have published here does not show a large improvement in low bass from the porting mod.  It's a good bit of work for ~3 dB below 60 to 70 Hz.  djk used the design with a high-pass filter that boosted low bass and cut bass below the port resonance to protect the woofer. 

La Scalas will not produce bass below about 55 Hz.  I found the best balance on the floor in a corner with the back corner of each speaker about 10" away from the walls.  To get deeper response you need Klipschorns or Cornwalls.  A good custom build with two 15s in a  ported box and your La Scala's squawker and tweeter would do it.  Something like a KPT-435-M

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-435-B-M-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

My center is a flush mounted Belle Klipsch.  There is a bump-out in the center of the wall that the Belle is buried in.  In the right room, flush mounting increases bass without loosing the clean, tight horn sound.  Klipsch specified 54 Hz as the F3 (I doubted that figure), and, when it was out in the room, I never measured it.  But, after it was flush mounted, there was a little peak at 60Hz, and the F3 was about 40 +, then dropped like a rock. 

A subwoofer set to about 60 still helps, but it is a bit muddy.  It's even worse at 80 Hz for home theater.  Soooooo, I'm considering a floor to ceiling horn loaded sub in the rear of the room, crossing over low -- set by experimentation.  But that, if it happens, will be a (long) while from now.

10 hours ago, SonicSeeker said:

No subs please.

I don't have the room for a sub.

I didn't have room for a sub, so I put a couple 25hz tapped horns under my Belles which took up no more real estate. Elevated the mid and tweeter more to ear level as well. I really like the way they blend with the Belle crossed over just below 100 hz. I'm in the camp of Belles (La Scalas) have excellent bass, just not low bass. I more often than not listen to music without turning the subs on. When I do, there is an improvement, but I wouldn't trade the slap of the bass bins for a boomy subwoofer. Just my 2 cents. Oh and toed in.

c3.thumb.jpg.31b2c1c34caaee0947dacbc7025a5345.jpg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, JohnA said:

LOL!  I have seen a paper that showed multiple woofers could equal the output and distortion of a bass horn.  I  didn't like it either, but it's  there. 

But what kinds of distortion?  Did they cover modulation distortion? 

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

LOL!  I have seen a paper that showed multiple woofers could equal the output and distortion of a bass horn.  I  didn't like it either, but it's  there. 

Not going to happen. Its just not possible for a direct radiator to filter out distortion like a folded horn and is why direct radiators never sound the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No.4 said:

Thank you guys. It is a bill fitzmaurice TTLS. 

Which one is that on his website?  The site is about as clear as mud.  Size wise, that would be doable in my upstairs room with how the walls are 5' on the sides then angle up to 8' height.

Edit:  I think I finally found it.  What woofer did you use in the cabinet and what amp runs it?  Do you run LS's or Belles?  

13 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Please post the link.

It's that 3 sentence section right below the "fancy" looking TT sub.  It's just reconfigured to be a different shape.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/TT.html

Seems like the guy gets a bad rap on some things from the past....like replying on his own threads under different names to further his goods, etc.  People mention that there are other "free" designs that are better but his are more for the ones needing the "here's all the exact cuts and what will work".

• Like 1

The TTLS is paired with diy La Scala. I use a bash amp to drive it. I will have to look at the driver later as it has been awhile since I have built it, but I believe it is an 8”.

29 minutes ago, avguytx said:

It's that 3 sentence section right below the "fancy" looking TT sub.  It's just reconfigured to be a different shape.

Seems like the guy gets a bad rap on some things from the past....like replying on his own threads under different names to further his goods, etc.  People mention that there are other "free" designs that are better but his are more for the ones needing the "here's all the exact cuts and what will work".

I don’t know anything about these comments. True or not, the sub sounds great and blends better than the Direct radiator that I was using before. 

27 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Free designs are free for a reason and most of them learned from bill himself, bill taught them most everything they know but did not teach them everything he knows.

If the minimal fee he charges is too much you don't have priorities straight.

• Like 2

I never said what he charges is too much and it's a very minimal amount for sure; just notated what's pretty openly been said online.  I know they are good subs and highly thought of here and other places.  I would imagine one of his designs will be the one I go with when  that time comes.  Eventually, I may build either Khorn cabinets or Jubes...still debating.  But, for the time being, I figure the sub will fill the low end non-existence of the Belle's.