In-ceiling installation of KL-6502 for Heritage HT (So much for Klipsch tech support)

Brac

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I could certainly be wrong but I think he's referring to the fact that they'll be in the same joist space and was wondering if the 2 back waves from the different speakers need to be isolated from each other.  If that's indeed the case, it's a non issue.  For me the bigger issue would be preventing insulation from getting into the back side of the drivers.

Yep, the shared space and acting upon each other was in my mind the concern.

1 hour ago, Brac said:

Yep, the shared space and acting upon each other was in my mind the concern.

When you cut the hole in the ceiling and after the wires are where they need to be placed, you could stuff some ROXUL mineral wool or pack some pieces of fiberglass insulation batts into the space between the two speakers. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

When you cut the hole in the ceiling and after the wires are where they need to be placed, you could stuff some ROXUL mineral wool or pack some pieces of fiberglass insulation batts into the space between the two speakers. 

I would think that the ceiling is already insulated.

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

They can't afford to put an acoustical engineer on duty as an operator would be my guess.  In a perfect world your call would have been routed to someone who specializes in installation.  The first person who you spoke to should have been triaging the calls and getting you to the right department, not answering your question.

I'm hoping that the OP just had bad luck. 

Let's see:

• About 1974, I had a technical question that didn't even have to do with Klipsch Speakers (I had JBL at the time), asked my dealer, who wasn't sure.  In answer, I got a brief letter from PWK, cc. to the dealer.
  • About 1980, I had a question and I was connected to Gary Gillum (the "g" in kg).
  • About 1990 (?) I had a question and I was connected to Roy Delgado.
  • Later on, in response to a question, Steve Phillips had Trey Cannon call me.
  • In 2006, Roy gave a very long, informative, and humorous answer to a question I asked on the forum.  His response included the following, " ...you have asked a straightforward question that unfortunately has a pretty 'curved' answer ..."
  • Several years later, I sent Roy a PM which he answered.

Someone in support should have pointed out that in wall speakers don't necessarily need an enclosure but if Klipsch makes one, they should have sold it.  Most in walls don't have real enclosures but more of a protection from what ever is in the space of the wall or ceiling.  They are made to operate open.

That said, is a flimsy piece of sheetrock the best way to anchor and lock down a quality speaker, no it''s only a starting point.  They can be operated that way but anything to stabilize the area and possibly reduce the impact of the area would be good.  They will not typically be operated in the lower frequencies so an enclosure may be an overkill.