old Klipsch Heresy II's for home theater-what to do?

bobsim

Hi all,

I think this subject has come up before.  I have a pair of Heresy II that I have owned since 1989.  Never changed crossovers, drivers, etc.. completely original.  I have used them in home theater setup for a few years, but have never really been happy with them.  Could be I'm just tired of them. Or underpowered with the Yamaha RX-V477 I use.  I built stands to elevate tweeters to ear level last year, still not sure if I like them.  I am planning on upgrading to a Denon AVR-4400 in the next year, and not sure what to do about the Heresy's.  I also added a Klipsch RP-450C last year. Not sure if that was a mis-match or not.  It does seem to help the dialog in some movies (except for BladeRunner II ) .  As well, maybe I need to match up a better pair of rear surrounds.  

Options are:

Keep the Heresy's as L/R  Maybe put them back on the floor?  attach risers?

Find better rear surrounds?  (No, I'm not buying 2 more Heresy's)

Find another Front channel speaker?

Try another brand completely.  I do have a cheap tube amp in storage that I'm curious to try with the Heresy's (in storage, moving soon) as a seperate retro system

Maybe I'm just bitching out loud.  As I said, I'm not even sure how I feel about the Heresy's any more.  Maybe it's time for a change.  I'm moving, would like to upgrade the receiver and just not sure if it's time to move on.  But on the other hand I'm wondering how much money I would have to invest to equal the Heresy's.  I read all the glowing reviews about different brands, but I just don't know how they might compare.

Did you like the sound the 450 produced, when compared to the Heresy’s? If you did, I would buy the matching speakers, in the RP lineup that will fit in the spots the Heresy’s take up. 

Sell the Heresey’s and use that money for some matching RP surround speakers.

This likely won’t be a popular opinion around these parts but the truth is, everyone has different ears which interrupt sounds differently. Many people get “steered” by people’s opinions instead of trusting your ears but it doesn’t sound like you are going to fall into that trap:)

I much rather preferred the sound the RP series produced to the early Heresy’s I briefly owned. 

• Moderators

Welcome

I would think they need new caps since they are almost 30 YO.

Also it very well could be the Yamaha, I like Yamaha but after having one for many years I switched to another brand and was shocked at the sound. Much better sound to me, the Yamaha was almost indestructible, gave our daughter and it's still working. It was a RX V730 and it still works 100% but I would still not go back to yamaha, have a Pioneer Elite now and like it much more. The yamaha sounded kind of flat and lifeless after comparing, but I know that can vary from model to model and mine was much older.

I would try something else.

If they sound muffled, dull or like the sound is not out in front of the speaker, replace the caps.  They should be on the floor, near a wall. 

I am running 3 H1s with my La Scalas.  The center channel H1 has a modified crossover that is similar to the ones in my La Scalas.  It is hard to beat having all the speakers match.  Three more HIIs would be better. 

You didn't mention subwoofers.  With Heresies you need one or 4 good subwoofers.  😉

• Like 1