Help with simple office setup, part deux.

K5SS

Tried this same thread over in the personal audio section but got zero replies. This section gets quite a bit more activity so hopefully some of you can chime in;)

Hello All,

Just moved into a new office and I am looking at adding a medium quality 2 channel setup.

Here is what I am currently using:

- Lenovo Yoga 920

- B&O BeoAy 3 (Bluetooth streaming from Yoga)

Like the title mentions, I am looking to make a sound improvement.

I know budget is everything with thes “help me build xxx” threads so let’s try to keep it around $500 and I am willing to go used or refurbished, to get better sound out of that budget. I can also spend more, of the additional money gets me greatly improved audio.

I listen to everything from the 60’s hits all the way up to 90’s rap, with classic rock and country mixed in so my taste in music is pretty eclectic. 

I was just thinking about buying some powered speakers like The Sixes or AudioEngine A5+. I also was thinking about adding a DAC but that is where my audio knowledge dissipates drastically.

I would love to hear your thoughts, to assist me in making the right decision.

Thanks in advance guys! 

36 minutes ago, K5SS said:

Tried this same thread over in the personal audio section but got zero replies.

Sorry, I didn't see that thread at all.  Since the last Great Klipsch Forum Software Update a couple of years ago the format is such that if a post isn't responded to immediately the other sections move so fast your thread can get buried.

I'm not sure if I have "the" answer for you, but I've heard others such as @Youthman comment that they like the RB-61's in an office, or for near-field type speakers.

+++

If you want Heritage speakers on the used market the Heresy I goes all day long for $400 (my spreadsheet says $377 average) and the Heresy II averages $408.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I have owned RB-61’s and they are great. I will look into small amplifier options. 

There are lots of small simple 2-channel amps around.  I've used them for various TV and computer setups. 15 wpc. If you want to add a sub don't get an amp with a sub out, get a sub with high level inputs and speaker outputs.  The small 2.1 amps don't get good reviews for the sub-out section.

This Topping 2-channel amp "up to" 80 wpc gets good reviews.  Analog input only, no remote.  Might be a little pricey at $200. 

https://www.parts-express.com/topping-tp60-t-amp-tripath-ta2022-50wpc-(80wpc-4-ohm)-mini-amplifier--310-326

• Like 1

If going new this may be a great choice. The Emotiva TA-100 combines the PT-100 preamp/Tuner/DAC/Headphone amp with the TA-100 50 wpc amplifier. It accepts bluetooth and pretty much everything else you might need. 

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/ta-100

Just add speakers....you can save some additional money if you buy a factory refreshed unit which comes with a 30 day in home return policy and the full three year warranty if you keep it.

https://emotiva.com/collections/factory-renewed/products/factory-renewed-ta-100

Tim

• Like 1

18 hours ago, teaman said:

If going new this may be a great choice. The Emotiva TA-100 combines the PT-100 preamp/Tuner/DAC/Headphone amp with the TA-100 50 wpc amplifier. It accepts bluetooth and pretty much everything else you might need. 

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/ta-100

Just add speakers....you can save some additional money if you buy a factory refreshed unit which comes with a 30 day in home return policy and the full three year warranty if you keep it.

https://emotiva.com/collections/factory-renewed/products/factory-renewed-ta-100

Tim

I usually avoid Emotiva for all items besides their amps and I wouldn’t mind trying their new speakers/subwoofers some day. I have purchased numerous items from Emotiva and the only pieces I was ever really happy with were the amplifiers. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more amplifiers from them, pre/pros is a entirely different story. 

The TA-100 does look very interesting and would leave enough room in my budget, to get some 61’s. I will read up on the TA-100 this evening and see how the reviews are. I love me some blue lights so that feature alone, might be enough to push me over the edge. 

Thanks again Tim, you are always very helpful! 

• Like 1

I will have to look into that Omar, thanks!

Well, the noisy part of the puzzle is now covered!

Just picked some mahogany RB-5’s for $100. They are missing the grills and the copper cones have a few small dents, which isn’t a good combo. Now I need to either locate some RB-5 speaker grills or a couple replacement woofers.

Now I am seriously considering ordering the TA-100 but like I previously mentioned, I am going to have to make sure there aren’t any firmware issues, before I am comfortable plunking down $400.

Any other amplifier/source suggestions would be appreciated! I saw AudioEngine makes a computer amp. I am mainly wanting to stream from my laptop so integrated Bluetooth would be a big plus.

ecc808aa5b004efea2b08eb2e2eb649f.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 4:24 PM, K5SS said:

I will have to look into that Omar, thanks!

Well, the noisy part of the puzzle is now covered!

Just picked some mahogany RB-5’s for $100. They are missing the grills and the copper cones have a few small dents, which isn’t a good combo. Now I need to either locate some RB-5 speaker grills or a couple replacement woofers.

Now I am seriously considering ordering the TA-100 but like I previously mentioned, I am going to have to make sure there aren’t any firmware issues, before I am comfortable plunking down $400.

Any other amplifier/source suggestions would be appreciated! I saw AudioEngine makes a computer amp. I am mainly wanting to stream from my laptop so integrated Bluetooth would be a big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid retail for mine the first month they came out. Still have them for a mini road system. Lead filled spiked stands!

• Like 1