Home Theater Bliss? Warning, THX Ultra Content

K5SS

I have been wanting to make this thread for sometime now but just never got around to it. As I sit here, watching The Star Wars in glorious 4K, I decided to make time to share my impressions of the living room HT I have been working on.

Room size:

14 x 18

Gear list:

Samsung UN65JS8500

Denon AVR-3300W

Panamax 5100-PM

B&K Reference 200.7 S2

Xbox One S (next to be upgraded)

Klipsch KL-650 THX L/C/R

Klipsch KS-525-THX (thanks teaman!)

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 (duals)

Auralex Subdude x4

I have been buying and selling on the used market around my area, trying to find my definition of “perfect” sound and I am happy to report that I have finally achieved it! I sometimes made money doing this and sometimes lost, even turned into a bit of a game but I think this is mostly over. Met some pretty cool audio people taking this journey. The audio community seems to be packed with cool and friendly people!

This system beats the 10 or so Definitive Technology systems, the various Martin Logan and Bowers & Wilkins systems I had tried in the past. I even prefer the sound from these more than the Palladiums I used to own. With that said, I would trade these THX Ultras back for Natural Palladiums in a heartbeat because the audio performance is similar enough that the aesthetics of the Palladiums makes them the winner in my book.

Looks aside, these Ultras have the sound characteristics I have been searching for. I wanted to share my impressions so fellow members who are considering purchasing these fantastic speakers.

I know this system is massively overkill for this sized room but I am trying to “future-proof” myself (who am I kidding!) as much as possible. Once I move, I will likely add 2 more 650’s with a coulple ceiling Ultras and get back into Rythmik subwoofers again.

For now, all of this gear has my small living room feel and sound better than any public home theater I have ever been to. I might have finally found what I have been looking for!

I know the Professional or the larger Heritage speakers would trounce what I am running but ignorance is truly bliss.

Thought I would share some of my happiness, during these pretty dark days[emoji4]

Forgot to say: Stay safe East Coast Family and Friends! 

8c9ad9cecc56fdc9954784a8d459202b.jpeg7f75ade698f473ad8f79b23151f5c125.jpege600d8eb474f787966b6d4ff3a22d642.jpeg816ac6f23d0359602f1981cfe45fbce9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Nice setup! That should hold you over for some time. I think at the level your at, you are really at the apex of the cost/performance curve and you are going to have to drop serious money for incremental upgrades. The only thing I would suggest other than some sound treatments is a bias light for your TV. Having a backlight will make your blacks pop more and its much better for your eyes. The problem with TV's is the constant dark and light scenes cause your pupils to dilate and contact constantly which eventually wears you down and will make you want to turn a long movie off. A good bias light prevents that and is a huge improvement for a few dollars. Here is a good one that plugs into one of your TV's USB ports and turns on automatically:

image.png.9cf3bdd1fc118922287cf2d8eec3a8cc.png

https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-Bias-Lighting-Backlight-Strip/dp/B01BKU7B7I/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536857680&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tv+bias+light&psc=1

• Like 1

Nice setup! That should hold you over for some time. I think at the level your at, you are really at the apex of the cost/performance curve and you are going to have to drop serious money for incremental upgrades. The only thing I would suggest other than some sound treatments is a bias light for your TV. Having a backlight will make your blacks pop more and its much better for your eyes. The problem with TV's is the constant dark and light scenes cause your pupils to dilate and contact constantly which eventually wears you down and will make you want to turn a long movie off. A good bias light prevents that and is a huge improvement for a few dollars. Here is a good one that plugs into one of your TV's USB ports and turns on automatically:

image.png.9cf3bdd1fc118922287cf2d8eec3a8cc.png

https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-Bias-Lighting-Backlight-Strip/dp/B01BKU7B7I/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536857680&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tv+bias+light&psc=1

I agree with you withthe $/performance ratio. I am sure I would have to spend serious cash (this is already a pretty large investment for me), before I would achieve large gains in audio performance. Subwoofers will be upgraded, when this system goes into a larger room but they are overkill in the current room so they will stick around for the time being.

I just ordered that LED light, thank you for the idea!

I have the acoustic panels below, getting delivered today, but they will probably won’t go up until I move. After reading this forum, room treatment is a must in a dedicated HT so I am going to take it very seriously moving forward. 5d72943900636b1a0805e8282632f346.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Move that tv up and run LCR like its supposed to be. Will make a great bit of difference. And what did you do with the Palladiums? I’m on the hunt for a center. 

Sorry bud, I sold the Palladiums a while back. 

Agreed about the center. This will have to wait until I move as I like my TV stand almost as much as my speakers:)