Is it the DACs?

ssh

Digital to your preamp should be exactly the same--i.e., you're not using the DACs in your player.  Are you "converting to LPCM" or using "raw bitstream" in either player?

EDIT: The reason why I ask is because I've experienced a large difference in sound quality when the player converted to LPCM (i.e., a loss of SQ).  The "raw bitstream" setting is usually heavily preferred, in my experience.  There is something audibly lost in the conversion to LPCM in some players.

Chris

• Like 1

Digital to your preamp should be exactly the same--i.e., you're not using the DACs in your player.  Are you "converting to LPCM" or using "raw bitstream" in either player?

EDIT: The reason why I ask is because I've experienced a large difference in sound quality when the player converted to LPCM (i.e., a loss of SQ).  The "raw bitstream" setting is usually heavily preferred, in my experience.  There is something audibly lost in the conversion to LPCM in some players.

Chris

What about PCM or bitstream? IIRC people say to use pcm instead of bitstream on tv Audio setting when connected to your AVR and also same settings on the PlayStation 4. Should be set them to bitstream in order to use the dac in my marantz avr without conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will only be the DAC if you use the internal DACs of the 205.  

On 9/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, ssh said:

Is this due to the improvement in DACs?

On 9/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, Chris A said:

Are you using the RCA outputs or the digital outputs?

On 9/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, ssh said:

HDMI (music only).

Using HDMI bypasses the 205's internal DACs.  As mentioned, better guts, sound isolation, better power supply, etc, can lead to better sound quality, even if the DACs are taken out of the picture.

Bill

8 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

What about PCM or bitstream? IIRC people say to use pcm instead of bitstream on tv Audio setting when connected to your AVR and also same settings on the PlayStation 4. Should be set them to bitstream in order to use the dac in my marantz avr without conversion?

It was both a PS3 and an older Oppo 980H where I heard the problems converting to LPCM.  The problem disappeared when set to bitstream.

The worst performance was using the analog outputs (RCA), which brought a host of distortion issues and level-related clipping sensitivity.  The AVP that I own (an Onkyo PR-SC886, which was the flagship AVP from Onkyo in the late 2000s) has better DACs and a lot better bit conversion/decoding capabilities than the players, and the digital HDMI bus from the player to the AVP is immune from noise or other level-sensitive distortion issues.

Chris

• Like 1