Klipschorns $5000?

JohnKuthe

34 minutes ago, Budman said:

2500 - 3 grand         if you like oak

Budman nailed it!

I track Heritage prices and Khorns 1983-99 average $2508.  I show two pair which were listed for $3500 that did not sell at that price.  They don't sell for much less than $2500 or more than $3000.  That's a solid range @Budman👍

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Budman nailed it!

I track Heritage prices and Khorns 1983-99 average $2508.  I show two pair which were listed for $3500 that did not sell at that price.  They don't sell for much less than $2500 or more than $3000.  That's a solid range @Budman👍

I've always found it kinda silly they way so many seem to think of the outside finish of good quality good sounding speakers is that important. Kind of a form over function thing?

John Kuthe...

4 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

I've always found it kinda silly they way so many seem to think of the outside finish of good quality good sounding speakers is that important. Kind of a form over function thing?

John Kuthe...

If you are putting a value on speakers than veneer finish matters a lot. If you have oak or walnut expect to get up to $2500. If you have Rosewood or Ebony or something rare expect to get up to $4k. It isn't form over function but rarity or value of veneer. Go shop some veneer then say that 8-) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

I've always found it kinda silly they way so many seem to think of the outside finish of good quality good sounding speakers is that important.

The way I see it, it's not form OVER function, it's good quality form AND good quality function.

Klipsch has always valued the outside finish of their speakers, that's why they offered speakers in multiple finishes.  Black was less expensive, there were the common veneers Oak, Cherry, Walnut, and exotic veneers such as rosewood for which the customer paid a premium. 

Do you think PWK was silly to think this way?

I don't.  B)

• Like 2

The seller does not say what year they were made. If only a couple of years old maybe the price is a bargain over a new pair of K-horns. Other than that I agree with the other comments of being over priced. Quality prime veneer is very expensive now. Ask any woodworker. As for form over function, check the prices of name brand furniture with real prime wood or veneer over the mass market furniture. Most wives can explain why cosmetics are extremely important in her house. Being single for many years I value sound over looks but then if I had a wife things would drastically change at my house. Maybe a reason for staying single. If I were shopping for speakers I would consider spending much more for an exotic veneer K-horn over oak or walnut. Even walnut is very expensive veneer these days. 

7 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

here's a set for you if you don't care about the outside finish

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Klipschorn-Speakers/283108073239?hash=item41ea8e5f17:g:Br0AAOSw3kxbddAk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, and maybe non-oak veneer.  Yuck...  I'd much rather have black painted cabinets than oak and, if the price were "really good" and they were oak, they'd either get new veneer or a coat of black paint.  :D

yuck is about right for oak

mahogany - yummy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wdecho said:

The seller does not say what year they were made.

The Seller has a pic of the label so 1993.

s/n 098 39 6994

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

DOY= day of the year
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The way I see it, it's not form OVER function, it's good quality form AND good quality function.

Klipsch has always valued the outside finish of their speakers, that's why they offered speakers in multiple finishes.  Black was less expensive, there were the common veneers Oak, Cherry, Walnut, and exotic veneers such as rosewood for which the customer paid a premium. 

Do you think PWK was silly to think this way?

I don't.  B)

Think this would be good for powering the KHorns?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/mcintosh-ma6900/6697477146.html

I have a McIntosh MC2105 Solid State power amp powering my La Scalas, and if I got this 200WPC McIntiosh amp behind the KHorns, WOW!! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budman said:

mahogany - yummy

While I appreciate a nice finish on the outside of loudspeakers, I feel the same way about "Factory sealed" LPs being "worth more" than ones opened and played! If a record album or LP cannot be played it is worthless to ME!

I am into the SOUND, not the APPEARANCE!!! ;-)

John Kuthe...

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, and maybe non-oak veneer.  Yuck...  I'd much rather have black painted cabinets than oak and, if the price were "really good" and they were oak, they'd either get new veneer or a coat of black paint.  :D

1 hour ago, Budman said:

mahogany - yummy

Guess I won't post a pic of mine...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Montego said:

Guess I won't post a pic of mine...

Lots of folks like oak, some don't, who cares?  If you like it, that's all that matters as said below. 

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

It's all in one's own personal choice....nothing more.  Heck, I feel the same way about some of that way out there "exotic" veneer some people put on their speakers, too.  People are going to like what they like.