Klipschorns $5000?

JohnKuthe

15 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Do these looks OK?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/beauty-pair-oak-oil-klipsch/6675739147.html

I'm not really thinking about replacing my La Scalas, but if I had an extra $5000 around...

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

I emailed to the ad, saying I was thinking about them! 

Uh oh!! Pretty expensive addiction I've gotten myself into here!! :-) I used to be addicted to buying whitewater kayaks!

John Kuthe...

5 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Uh oh!! Pretty expensive addiction I've gotten myself into here!! 🙂 I used to be addicted to buying whitewater kayaks!

John Kuthe...

Price and finish notwithstanding, if you can afford them and have the room for them, you should definitely get them. Or if not that pair, another pair. You will NOT be disappointed.

Shakey

Everyone's home décor is different.   A lot of those really exotic veneers look ugly to ME and while others are gorgeous craftsmanship like Greg from Volti Audio's restorations, how many homes would they actually look good in? I could imagine them looking awesome in a perfect room you'd see in a photo shoot set up to look like some millionaires home, but in an every day suburban or traditionally furnished home, they'd be an eye sore IMO. 

While Oak is my least favorite unless it's black, those oak KHorns look really nice and match my floors so i'm sure it would look good in my home.  Just wouldn't be down with the price.  Honestly, Klipschorns are pretty ugly anyway compared to La Scalas IMO. Only the latest Klipschorn models look beautiful with the more natural looking walnut, or the cherry, or black ash all looking very modern.   I think of older KHorns in the same way I think of old kitchen cabinets lol.  They just look so boring and out dated and cheap. 

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Price and finish notwithstanding, if you can afford them and have the room for them, you should definitely get them. Or if not that pair, another pair. You will NOT be disappointed.

Shakey

Yep! The legends I heard for for Klipschorns. I was never sure if that name was for the whole speaker or just the Klipsch horn driver, which I now know is key to both the Klipschorn and La Scalas. Different models, etc.

Like I said this is an expensive addiction. I considered myself "wealthy" in 2017 but I put most of my spendable inheritance into my house with a few luxuries for myself like my La Scalas, but these or any other Klipschorns would be kinda over the top for me. Oh but what a wonderful luxury they are!!! :-)

John Kuthe...

On 9/14/2018 at 12:28 PM, JohnKuthe said:

Uh oh!! Pretty expensive addiction I've gotten myself into here!! 🙂 I used to be addicted to buying whitewater kayaks!

John Kuthe...

=== how do those whitewater kayaks sound —?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, JohnKuthe said:

It's not a matching pair... the mid horns and drivers are different models. They would cost a lot to get all matched up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Looks fun. Note to self, add to bucket list.  

What, whitewater kayaking? Oh HECK YES it's FUN! Can be quite dangerous too! I'm an adrenaline junkie, and before I got into whitewater kayaking I was into SKYDIVING for about a year, then whitewater kayaking ate all my time, mind and money!

I've been away from it for about 10 years now though. I HOPE to get back into it before I die. I used to be an ACA Certified Whitewater Kayak Instructor too, until I let my cert. lapse.

John Kuthe...

On 9/14/2018 at 11:08 AM, Budman said:

yuck is about right for oak

mahogany - yummy

This is funny to me.  My parents owned an antique shop back in the '80's and '90's, and oak was all anyone wanted.  Mahogany went cheap, if it went at all.  These things go in cycles, and it's interesting to watch it swing back and forth.

31 minutes ago, RobF said:

I just paid $2,800 for some excellent condition 82 walnut Khorns and drove 8 hours total to get them. And I think I over paid a bit. 5k is too much keep hunting. 

Obviously you really wanted them, and are happy with their condition, so I don't think you overpaid.  Enjoy them.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Obviously you really wanted them, and are happy with their condition, so I don't think you overpaid.  Enjoy them.

Yes I am not very handy when it comes to wood restoration so when I saw these I had to have em. Just got the crossovers back from Bob Crites and they're good to go!