Turntable Repair

Sam S.

Hi -- finally getting around to make room to set up my old Harmon Kardon T35 turntable. It had an AT311 cartridge and the stylus looked shot so I got a new one. Turntable spins fine, but after installing the stylus, balancing the tonearm, I'm having issues with the sound. The sound is very faint and muddled, almost garbled. Checked all the connections, and different amp, and still have problem. Any suggestions for what I might try? I looked at all the 4 lead wires going into the cartridge, and all is connected.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I don't think it needs to be -- it's currently connected to a Marantz PM700AV (circa 1991), w/phono input, which I'm pretty sure has a built-in phono preamp. The other receiver I tried was an even older JVC Super-A, which I'm also pretty sure has a built-in phono preamp. I think I do have a preamp, though, and could try adding that tonight to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you using a mm or mc cart? Either one you need to make sure your amp is setup to use either one. Some amps have a switch for changing from mm to mc. That will make the sound bad. Also did you setup to anti-skating adjustments-for it? If you have 2.5grams on the head shell then you need to start off with 2.5grams on the anti-skating adjustment

Hi Carlthess:

I'm pretty certain its MM. My amp (older - Marantz Integrated Amp) doesn't have that option. Here's the cartridge --- I just replaced the white part recently (it just clicks in and out -- and I double checked it) as the old stylus looked worn. When I touch the new stylus, it makes the typical rrrr noise thru the speakers, but when I go to play something, it's like gibberish, distorted -- like a bad cell phone call if that makes sense.

I may be able to round up a different cartridge to try. That might narrow things down. Didn't want to waste $$ on a new one if that wasn't the case.

Yes, I have the balance and anti-skate set correctly.

Do you have another integrated amp or receiver you can hook the turntable to to maybe verify that it isn't the Marantz amp per chance?  Or maybe a friend with one?

And double check to make sure you definitely have the phono's RCA jacks in the Phono inputs.  Ask me how I know...  ha

But I guess they are pretty easy to see there on the bottom.

image.png.04aee30af4a493b90872b5483b0777fe.png

Thanks. I also tried an older JVC (Super-A) and I had (same problem), but it's entirely possible that it has issues also. I do have the turntable in the phono input and the ground connected -- looks just like your picture. I'll look for another receiver to try this weekend, and maybe another cartridge. I think I can borrow another turntable -- so I'll try that with the Marantz integrated amp first, to narrow things down, and then go from there. Also entirely possible that the new stylus I got for the existing AT cartridge is bad. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I hate to pitch the HK.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

I hate to pitch the HK.

IDK anything about their turntables, but just the idea of pitching anything HK gives me the willies.  I think you're on the right track re the troubleshooting.

do you possibly have a friend with whom you can brainstorm & "swap parts" - meaning:  does he have a turntable that works?  what if you swap yours to his system, how does that work?  or have him bring his to swap into yours?  sometimes a 2nd set of eyes (not like the 4 eyes I have) can find something that results in a "doh!" moment

good luck.  keep us posted.  you know - inquiring minds, and that.

18 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

Thanks - I will.

Remove the cartridge and inspect the leads the wires plug into. They should be shiny but if black that is your problem. Fine sandpaper should fix the problem. I had same problem with an old cartridge I once had. 

Thanks for all the suggestions! Resolved --- I borrowed another turntable, went to plug it in and the spare one didn't spin. The belt was broke on the spare! But when I got the spare turntable, I also found a couple of spare cartridges. I replaced the cartridge on the HK and voila, it works! I bought the HK in 1986, and I've never replaced the belt on it.

It was perplexing because I just got a new stylus for the existing cartridge  - but didn't spend too much on it so no real loss. Now it's time to align, as @carlthess40 says.