RF-7 / RF-7 II and RF-82 II Crossover Schematics Released?

jjptkd

Just curious if anyone has a copy of any or all of the above mentioned crossover schematics? I spent a bit of time trying the search feature and could not locate them. The original RF-7 has been out of production for quite a long time I'd think they'd be available by now?

I'm going to rip apart my RF-5's soon and replace the horn drivers with the larger ones from the RF-7 / RC-7 and wanted to update the crossovers to match, also thinking about lowering the crossover point from 2500hz to around 1200-1400hz like the RF-7 II & RF-82 II although I'm not 100% sure which way I'm going to go yet. 

Any thoughts, input or schematics would be greatly appreciated thanks all!

Jesse

20 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

What makes you think the larger horn driver will match well with the rest of the speaker or make it better.  The original RF 7's can be obtained for a reasonable cost especially if they are not pristine.

I've done it once before, took the RC-7 horn drivers and crossovers and swapped them over in RF-5 cabinets (they use the same woofers) and it sounded excellent. Dual RC-7's are awesome already, easily blow away the RB-75's IMO, placing the parts in a larger cabinet really doesn't change them too much but does extend the bottom end a bit. RF-5's are great speakers, RC-7 towers are a notch better. 

Basically right now I have a pair of RF-5's & RF-7 / RC-7 horns and drivers to do this again but this time I don't have the RC-7 crossovers so I've been thinking of just building my own but instead of building RC-7 crossovers which are 2.5 way tapered array just building a standard 2-way with a lower than stock crossover point. The series II in the Reference line lowered the crossover points by 1000hz, RF-7 went from 2200hz to 1200hz in the II, the stock setting for the RF-5 is 2500hz and the RF-82 II is 1400hz.

• 1 month later...

Well I've been enjoying the hell out of my RF-5's stock-- these really are great speakers and due to space restrictions they are it for me for probably the next year or so. I've been busy at work so not a lot of time to sort everything out but I believe I have found the best available option for my situation. 

It appears that the RC-7 actually has the lowest horn crossover setting out of all the speaker models that use this same driver the RF-7 RC-7 RB-75 @ 1950hz and as luck would have it the RF-3 woofers happen to be crossed over @ 1975hz from what I've read although have not found a Klipsch published spec sheet to confirm this. 

I'm thinking about changing the values of the parts in the RF-5 woofer crossovers to that of the RF-3 for the lower crossover point and just building new RC-7 horn crossovers for the k-67 drivers, think with new, quality parts / larger higher quality horn drivers and the lower crossover point should be a worth while project. 

Anyone see any error in this line of thinking? Have a copy of the RF-3 spec sheet they wish to share? Any input would be appreciated thanks!

Jesse

25 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Have a copy of the RF-3 spec sheet they wish to share?

Here's where you can find a lot of info on discontinued items...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120120064549/http://www.klipsch.com:80/discontinued-floorstanding-speakers?&n=0&va=t

RF-3

https://web.archive.org/web/20120207065742/http://www.klipsch.com:80/rf-3-floorstanding-speaker

1 minute ago, TasDom said:

I appreciate that! I've seen this page but it does not list the crossover point like I've seen others cut and paste at this point I'm certain its the 1975hz I listed above just would feel better if I seen something from Klipsch that states that thanks!

• Like 1

Found this on CNET:

Speaker System

Detachable Grilles

Yes

System Components

2 speakers

Amplification Type

passive

Crossover Channel Qty

2-way

Nominal Output Power

150 Watt

Max (RMS) Output Power

600 Watt

Frequency Response

37 - 20000 Hz

Nominal Impedance

8 Ohm

Sensitivity

98 dB

Crossover Frequency

1975Hz

Output Features

Bass Reflex

Magnetic Shield

Yes

Connectivity Technology

wired

Recommended Placing

floor-standing

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Audiomaster said:

i measure my RS 7 woofer and i get 3,8 ohms how can that be 8ohm  the tweeters check at 9ohms together they measure 4.5ohm once again how can that be 8ohm ????

3.8 + 4.5 ='s 8.3 

No but really when you wire two drivers of the same ohm rating in parallel it cuts the ohm rating in half; if you wire two sets of drivers with similar ohm ratings in series it doubles the ohms. So if your readings are correct Klipsch must have wired the woofer in series with the pair of tweeters wired together in parallel which would net near 8 ohms. 

jjptkd when you use a crossover it raises the impedance after the cross over point so when the woofer and tweeter are wired in parallel they are passively separated so 4 ohm ! 

IE 6x9 4ohm twoway speaker is not two 8 ohm speaker its two 4ohm with a crossover 

Deang plus lowest impedance of the woofer is not filtered so 4 ohm will be the impedance the amp sees   

inductors only add .06 ohm

3 hours ago, Audiomaster said:

jjptkd when you use a crossover it raises the impedance after the cross over point so when the woofer and tweeter are wired in parallel they are passively separated so 4 ohm ! 

IE 6x9 4ohm twoway speaker is not two 8 ohm speaker its two 4ohm with a crossover 

Interesting.. You know they say the quickest way to get the right answer is to post the wrong one apparently it didn't work this time sorry.  I was just throwing out a guess based on my experiences wiring multiple subwoofers with dual voicecoils.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...