epic cf 3/4 version differences

rbtwsp

kind of a subjective opinion question... one guy might hear something while the next guy wont.  the differences are very subtle between versions.  i have heard a couple pairs of cf4 v1 & owned v2 for 15 years & i could not hear or notice any difference.  also heard cf4 v3 that a friend owned & they sounded excellent.  while im sure a direct A/B test would reveal some differences, all versions of epics are great speakers IMO. 

there are x-over, woofer material & port length differences between v1 & v3... but overall all versions are great sounding speakers.  if there was only the v3 made or someone heard v3 for the first time & didint know of other versions... they would rave about how good the v3s sound & they would still have the same great reviews! 

if you're looking to own a set of cf3 or cf4 epics, dont get too hung up on versions, yes v1 & v2 would be nice, just dont pass up a good deal on v3's. 

I have both v1 and v3 sets and I'm in Minnesota. You can come by and play some tunes for some time if you want to hear for yourself. I've never A/B them side by side myself. It will be biased somewhat as I don't have any silicone on the back of the v3 horns like I do the v1. But if you're interested let me know

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jirachi said:

I have both v1 and v3 sets and I'm in Minnesota. You can come by and play some tunes for some time if you want to hear for yourself. I've never A/B them side by side myself. It will be biased somewhat as I don't have any silicone on the back of the v3 horns like I do the v1. But if you're interested let me know

Nice offer. So you have two Epic set-ups going?  :emotion-21:

7 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nice offer. So you have two Epic set-ups going?  :emotion-21:

I have 5 CF4 actually. Found a lone wolf v3 at the Pilgrimage this year. The idea is to make a surround setup with them. But the more I think about it the more I realize I may need alternatives for the back side for space reasons. May end up trying to pick up a bunch of KV4 or something possibly

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:06 PM, Jirachi said:

I have 5 CF4 actually. Found a lone wolf v3 at the Pilgrimage this year. The idea is to make a surround setup with them. But the more I think about it the more I realize I may need alternatives for the back side for space reasons. May end up trying to pick up a bunch of KV4 or something possibly

What are you driving your Epic surround set up with?  how do you have you center channel speaker oriented, upright or on its side? 

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

What are you driving your Epic surround set up with?  how do you have you center channel speaker oriented, upright or on its side? 

Marantz 7704

Parasound A52+

Center is (will be) vertical standing. It's only set up for stereo and I have all my amps sitting on the center as it lays on it's side right now. I still want to build a front stage and need to acquire an AT screen along with building a pair of full marty subs. Things are moving slow. Just bought this house 2 months ago and I'm the only one living here so I don't have nearly the spending money I did when I was renting half a trailer home 

11 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Marantz 7704

Parasound A52+

Center is (will be) vertical standing. It's only set up for stereo and I have all my amps sitting on the center as it lays on it's side right now. I still want to build a front stage and need to acquire an AT screen along with building a pair of full marty subs. Things are moving slow. Just bought this house 2 months ago and I'm the only one living here so I don't have nearly the spending money I did when I was renting half a trailer home 

You have nice gear for the Epics,  they do better with plenty of clean power on hand.  The CF4 will make a great center channel, used upright, or on its side.   Big plans ahead, with an front stage build, an AT screen and Marty's as well.  Should be slammin.   

53 minutes ago, Shiva said:

You have nice gear for the Epics,  they do better with plenty of clean power on hand.  The CF4 will make a great center channel, used upright, or on its side.   Big plans ahead, with an front stage build, an AT screen and Marty's as well.  Should be slammin.   

This is what I have right now. First attempt at a sound absorber. Need another pair and have an idea for a second attempt

20180922_155409-2124x1195.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, Jirachi said:

Nice, another MN Epic owner. Let me know if you're willing to sell the single CF3 or a pair of the V1 CF3's. I also have stuff I'd trade (KG 5.5, Krell, Denon BD...) if trades are more your thing.

Sounds like we're building similar setups. I currently have two pairs of the CF3 V1; trying to do a 5.1 or 6.1 setup with Epics all around.

• Like 1