An Aspirin a Day might not be Okay

Jeff Matthews

So...I know.  The data below is NOT of benefit and misleading because of lead time bias.  Colonoscopy.....may not be worth it.   GI docs need the dough right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_time_bias

The government has recognized the health care industry's futile recommentation of colon cancer screening.....

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryFinal/colorectal-cancer-screening

Screenshot_20180917-223310_Drive.jpg

4 hours ago, jwc said:

""""I am at the age where colonoscopies are recommended"""

There seems to be very little controversy on that screening test.   One of the best.  Every physician I know or aware of ....and their spouse sign up at 50 to get that done.  Family history colon CA rules are different.

I understand, but knowing a guy first-hand battling long-term against some MRSA (or other) infection is kind of intimidating.  Think about it like this:  Lasik surgery has become extremely common, but if your friend's brother lost an eye to it, you wouldn't be all gung-ho on the idea.

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

A family friend  just died from a flu shot at age 53.  She developed Guillain- Bare Syndrome.  It is extremely rare but if it is you, it is 100%.  It is still better to get a flu shot......maybe?

That's exactly how I feel.  It isn't "logical," statistically, I suppose, but there it is.  Not rational.

Examining the papers showed that the study demonstrated that daily aspirin did result in lower cardiovascular dz but that the incidence of ‘major hemorrhage’s’ was greater for the group on the daily baby aspirin regimen. Thus their conclusions that the risks outweighed the benefits. Upper gi bleeds and strokes constituted most of these ‘major hemmorages’. The study did attempt to consider some lifestyle risk factors including smoking, obesity, and others. I did not see where alcohol consumption was weighed as a confounding variable. The study population was gleaned from Australia and America neither of which are famous for ‘not’ drinking. Drinking and gi bleeds is very prevalent and the risks for strokes with excess drinking is also increased. For such a thorough study it seems odd that I was unable to see where alcohol consumption was addressed one way or another. Did I miss something?

BTW Bayer did somewhat sponsor this work so we can expect some additional interpretations of the data.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's probably implied by the fact that the median age of the group members was 74, and no members had any history of heart disease.

If alcohol usage, past or present, was not evaluated then their conclusions can be considered suspect. Given the character of the ‘bleeds’ ignoring alcohol consumption is akin to ignoring the elephant in the room. Another interesting point is that they allowed the participants to use other types of NSAIDs during the study period. Some of those products also cause gi distress. I can use ibuprofen and aspirin w/o and troubles but gimme 1 naproxen tablet and my gut immediately sours. Given the efforts involved in this work the ‘take aways’ need to be applicable. I think I could accept the notion that - if you are, or were an alcoholic - that such a daily anticoagulant therapy could cause more problems than benefits. On the other hand another recent study implied that the same regimen helped prevent some cancers, so who knows. 

20 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

If alcohol usage, past or present, was not evaluated then their conclusions can be considered suspect. Given the character of the ‘bleeds’ ignoring alcohol consumption is akin to ignoring the elephant in the room. Another interesting point is that they allowed the participants to use other types of NSAIDs during the study period. Some of those products also cause gi distress. I can use ibuprofen and aspirin w/o and troubles but gimme 1 naproxen tablet and my gut immediately sours. Given the efforts involved in this work the ‘take aways’ need to be applicable. I think I could accept the notion that - if you are, or were an alcoholic - that such a daily anticoagulant therapy could cause more problems than benefits. On the other hand another recent study implied that the same regimen helped prevent some cancers, so who knows. 

That does sound like a good point now that you've repeated it.  +1 to the use of other NSAIDs.

I was on an baby asprin a day for five years and after reading about the research on this at Dr. John McDougall's site I stopped. I now carry a couple of full size 325mg asprin in a small tubular waterproof key chain container, just in case I have problems I can chew both of them. This makes more sense to me than the daily dose which can cause other problems.