RP-450C - Space Required Behind the Speaker

Esch30

Hello, I'm happy to join the madness.

I have a question regarding the recommended space needed behind the RP-450C center channel speaker in a TV stand.  The TV sits on top of the stand.  The center channel speaker will sit  below the TV on the center shelf.  The shelf is 17" deep, leaving just 2.5" between the back of the speaker and the back panel of the TV stand.  The back panel is metal, though it's a mesh design.  I've included a stock photo of the stand.  Would this be OK with the rear port on the 450C?  I'd say the 440C would be an option, but that's only 1" less in depth... I can't see that would make much of a difference.  My other option would then be the 250C.

Some additional information... the room is 21' x 12' with 8'. ceilings.  However, the end of the room where I have the TV stand and front speakers is closer to 10' wide due to a storage room.  Therefore, I plan on going with RP-250F speakers since I have very limited room to put a sub between the floor standing speaker and the TV stand.  With the MLP being about 14' away from the center channel, would the 450C even be a good match with the 250F speakers?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stand.JPG

@Esch30,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will be just fine.  If you still feel uneasy about it, maybe get some wire cutters and cut out a hole where the rear port will be unimpeded.

I think the RP450C will mate just fine with the RP-250F's.  All do have 5.25" woofers.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion.  Even though I'd like to leave the mesh in tact for purposes of structural integrity, I'm sure cutting out a port-sized section wouldn't hurt.

However, I measured and the distance between the L/R speakers (at their centers) will be just about 8 ft.  I'm starting to lean towards the 250C as the 450C may be overkill given the width of the sound stage and I wouldn't have to worry so much about the space behind the speaker on the shelf.  Decisions...