F'ing mosquitos

USNRET

=== drive through “land of 10,000 lakes”, Minnesota if you want some skeeter/insect action. Rode the N/S hiways through the state years ago and required a stop every hour or so to clean helmet visors, etc. Insects are literally hanging off every forward facing element. Never saw anything like it. And I’ve heard Alaskan skeeters will/can carry you away —

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Shiva said:

it is good to have some tools, when dealing with mosquitos.  A very satisfying sound to this one as well. 

That's funny, last time we were at Rodney's he had one like that. I tried shocking myself to see how powerful it was, it was funny. I was so tired from not sleeping the night before then going to a fishing tournament all day then to Rodney's that night I used it about every 20 min to stay awake. :blink: It works.

I was sitting next to Kelli and finally talked her into trying it, everyone else was chicken,  she just squeezed from both sides touching in the middle and a blue spark lit her up, we should have recorded that. Christy did record me once doing it since they all thought it was funny. Rodney was just shaking his head and smiling.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Sounds like love bug season here.  There's so many bugs it feels like you're driving through rain, and that smell:emotion-41:

Plus they will ruin the paint on a car, or anything they get smashed on. The strange thing with those is they are attracted to the fumes of an engine, don't know why.

2 hours ago, dtel said:

That's funny, last time we were at Rodney's he had one like that. I tried shocking myself to see how powerful it was, it was funny. I was so tired from not sleeping the night before then going to a fishing tournament all day then to Rodney's that night I used it about every 20 min to stay awake. :blink: It works.

I remember on 60 Minutes in the 70's, they did a bit on people having this permanently mounted 1/8" jack somewhere on their bodies where they inserted the connector to give then an electric jolt to start their day. Wierd!!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Wierd!!

Never claimed to be normal.

Did electrical work for a long time, shocked myself many times (might have helped ?) as long as it's not enough to kill me it's not a big deal. I must have done it 6-8 times that night, it definitely wakes you up, those things have a nice little zap. :blush:

It's 3 wire screens I was touching one side to the center, Kelli squeezed both together, I think she got a little more than I did, sounded and looked like it. 

On 9/18/2018 at 6:17 PM, USNRET said:

That is all. I need to mow, well only the parts that are not under water. Bride thinks the neighbors will call the guys with the white jackets but I ain't mowing without netting tucked around me on the ZTR.

Just fire up a big fat stogie  while you mow...... those skeeters don't like smoke.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:59 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

We have no mosquitoes in Las Vegas.  I have only encountered them at the lake.  You can leave your door open without a screen.

I cannot live anywhere where there are mosquitoes.  I went to Oregon and loved it but the Mosquitoes were awful.  I remember at Crater Lake, we could not stop moving the entire hike and even then they kept on us.  We couldn't go to the park or the Rogue River for any length of time either. 

So interesting. I lived outside of Reno, and I could not be outside near dusk or dawn. We did have a Mormon Cricket invasion, I thought it was the end of times. I'm an hour north of the Rogue River, I've had a couple skeeters land on me in the last three years, that's it. 

1 hour ago, Speed said:

So interesting. I lived outside of Reno, and I could not be outside near dusk or dawn. We did have a Mormon Cricket invasion, I thought it was the end of times. I'm an hour north of the Rogue River, I've had a couple skeeters land on me in the last three years, that's it. 

Mormons?  Definitely the end of times.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
1 hour ago, Speed said:

Mormons?  Definitely the end of times.

Not good.

11880200044_7769d4c627_b.jpg

18 hours ago, Speed said:

That is weird.  Were you in Carson City?  I remember taking a turn at Lake Tahoe in the woods and the mosquitoes were so thick it was unbelievable.  Not that bad everywhere but in some places just awful. 

Basically none in Las Vegas. 

We were in Grants Pass and loved the City, but the mosquitoes made it unbearable for me.  Beautiful trail at the park, but could not walk it at dusk, same for the river.  Same fro Crater lake.  OK at the lake, but the trail had a lot of them. 

Where in Oregon are you?