Class D amps (Wyred 4 Sound) & Klipsch?

Bonzo

Anyone use Class D power amps with their Klipsch speakers? A friend of has a line on a pair of Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblock amps for a very good price. Doubtful I would be able to audition them first with my Forte II’s. Also, initially I would have to use my vintage Sansui AU-5500 integrated as the preamp. Any input, experience and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wyred for sound amps sound amazing.   I have demoed several class D amps and hated them sounding compressed almost like an mp3.   That was years ago and I have left them alone since.  I just sold a ST-1000 MKII for $1000 in mint condition.   It was obviously too much power for the Cornwalls.   Bought it from a friend to try out the new digital sound.   I am strongly debating buying their smaller model when it comes up..... I don't think you can go wrong with one.   

Just know with thay kind of power on klipsch, as there are no trim knobs on the amps, it may be very difficult to get your desired volume level.  A tiny increase in volume may be much more than you are looking for.   Only reason I didn't keep it.   I knew that would be the case but got it cheap and wanted to hear it.   Squeaky clean sound, soft on treble, killer control over quality and quantity of bass and very good sound staging.  I thoroughly enjoyed it while I had it.  Good luck on your pursuit.   

No input on Wyred for Sound amps but, I have been using Class D for several years and love them.  I use a Pioneer Elite SC 99 and have compared it to my tube amps and it is no slouch.

The sound is very clean with a black floor.  A lot of the rest depends on the preamp and source.  I am all digital and have no plans to change.  I currently use the SC 99 as a preamp and the Acurus 200/5 as the power amp.

If your only experience with your forte II is the Sansui integrated, you will be very happy... these ice based modules are extremely black and the insane dampening factor really brings the low frequencies to the forefront.

I use class D for 5.1 listening and its downright wonderful...

Thanks, the “overkill” factor does concern me as does how a 1974 amp/preamp will play with 21st century electronics. I’m wondering if the money would be better spent on other upgrades? If I spring for the amps, the toy fund will be greatly depleted. 

=== I have a pair of mAmps monoblocks, had them for sale here off and on. Just back from vacation and on they go to the audio sites.

Yes, they sound very, very good but I knew when I bought them I favor Class A solid state. They are really hard to beat ( especially for what I am asking) Sorry for the shameless plug, just a little.

• Haha 1

I know someone that is selling a pair of Quicksilver tube mini monoblocks. I have heard them but that was before I had the Forte II’s. There was a bit of distortion when using my old Marantz 1060 as the preamp. Might try to revisit them with the Sansui and the F II’s?

9 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Anyone use Class D power amps with their Klipsch speakers? A friend of has a line on a pair of Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblock amps for a very good price. Doubtful I would be able to audition them first with my Forte II’s. Also, initially I would have to use my vintage Sansui AU-5500 integrated as the preamp. Any input, experience and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a set of Bel Canto Ref-1000s with the same modules and I can say, hard to beat when paired with Klipsch speakers.  If you can get them for a good price it is a no brainer.  Dead quiet,  excellent sound, and headroom you can typically only dream of.

• Like 1

I own a pair of SX-1000 monoblocks.   They are very very nice amplifiers.

I've ran them through my Totem Forests and currently running them as the driving force behind Jubilee bass bins.

When running them in the Totems, they did sound fantastic however.......   I always swapped between them and my Latino ST-120 Tube amp.  The tube amp always had that extra airiness and sparkle to it.     If you were a visitor at my house you would see the tube amp being used more than the SX-1000s.

In your Forte's I think you cant go wrong... Overkill yes....   if you're looking for that extra magic and for the same price even for a good used pair of SX's id recommend looking at the Latino ST-120.

Erik

12 hours ago, MisterVego said:

I own a pair of SX-1000 monoblocks.   They are very very nice amplifiers.

I've ran them through my Totem Forests and currently running them as the driving force behind Jubilee bass bins.

When running them in the Totems, they did sound fantastic however.......   I always swapped between them and my Latino ST-120 Tube amp.  The tube amp always had that extra airiness and sparkle to it.     If you were a visitor at my house you would see the tube amp being used more than the SX-1000s.

In your Forte's I think you cant go wrong... Overkill yes....   if you're looking for that extra magic and for the same price even for a good used pair of SX's id recommend looking at the Latino ST-120.

Erik

You found where they exceed the tube amps though the modules used are fairly tube like.  

Listen carefully as you fill find out that system synergy is key.  Not all amps sound good on all speakers.  Matching is key along with your hot buttons.

9 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm surprised no one commented on what I said. No one thinks he will have trouble pairing a 500 WPC RMS amp to a 100 WPC RMS speaker?  Come on now.....  Bad idea.   Unless you want to manipulate a 1/16th inch at a time by hand?   

Not a problem at all.  Not sure why you would think such a thing.

It will all have to do with gain and one thing most IcePower amps don't have is a lot of gain.

10 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Thank you all for the spirited and insightful discussion, I appreciate it. Sadly, the W4S ship has sailed. The owner has decided to keep them. The search continues. 

=== which is why I mentioned my mAmps above, they were a steal for my asking. They ship to the new owner tomorrow —

• Like 1

I can say the mAmps sound really really really good.

Mac Mini, running Channel D Pure Music out to Wyred 4 Sound DAC to a pair of mAmps out to a pair of RF-7ii's....Very Very Very good...

The same Mac Mini to the same DAC out to Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Pre-Amp out to a Transcendent Sound Son of Beast out to the same RF-7ii's is just  "WOW!!!!

Your probably asking "if I'm hearing WOW verses really really good why change?

Short answer I haven't...The Mac Mini to DAC to mAmps allows for a remote...I don't have to get up to adjust the volume.