Class D amps (Wyred 4 Sound) & Klipsch?

Bonzo

=== as good as they sound(ed) and along with the highly touted nCores I owned there is still “that something” I favor with solid state Class A amps. Inefficient yes, run hot yes but they have a transparency I haven’t found with Class D. And for me, the same can be said for Class AB solid state.

12 hours ago, richieb said:

=== as good as they sound(ed) and along with the highly touted nCores I owned there is still “that something” I favor with solid state Class A amps. Inefficient yes, run hot yes but they have a transparency I haven’t found with Class D. And for me, the same can be said for Class AB solid state.

It does not get any better than Class A. It is the standard all other classes are measured against. The reason being Class A is the most linear especially when it is used as single ended with the minimal amount of components to interfere with the signal. No manipulation of the signal, or splitting the signal in two. Class D has came a lot since it was first introduced 30 years ago and I do prefer it over A/B amplifiers because of cost and virtually no heat. I believe class D is going to become the class for mass produced amplifiers especially home entertainment amplifiers with multiple channels. The sound is extremely good, good enough for the masses.

I've finally reached nirvana with the Forte III, thanks to a Class D integrated amp. My scepticism toward Class D is gone with the wind.

Last weekend I got my Burmester 101. This chrome plated German has a really big analog power supply and a class D power amplifier. Burmester has developed their own proprietary Class D module. Both the module and the amp itself is assembled by hand in their Berlin factory. It's the cheapest amp they sell, but still not very cheap...

The Forte III has never sounded so good. Especially in the bass department. Burmester digs deep with a lot of slam. More important, the bass response is very controlled and precise with decent speed. Midrange is very detailed, precise and clean, but never over-analytical due to the added warmth. Treble sounds a bit dim but is full of the faintest detail. Sounds very realistic to me.

The Burmester 101 replace my Line Magnetic 218ia SET-amp. It is better in every way, and costs about twice the LM. Well, to be honest, the magical presentation of vocals on the SET-amp is very hard to beat, but thats all. I think/hope it's my end amp.

Amp standings on Forte III so far:

1. Burmester 101
2. PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium with KT120.
3. Line Magnetic 218
4. Burmester 051
5. Rega Brio

17 hours ago, hammershaug said:

I've finally reached nirvana with the Forte III, thanks to a Class D integrated amp. My scepticism toward Class D is gone with the wind.

Last weekend I got my Burmester 101. This chrome plated German has a really big analog power supply and a class D power amplifier. Burmester has developed their own proprietary Class D module. Both the module and the amp itself is assembled by hand in their Berlin factory. It's the cheapest amp they sell, but still not very cheap...

The Forte III has never sounded so good. Especially in the bass department. Burmester digs deep with a lot of slam. More important, the bass response is very controlled and precise with decent speed. Midrange is very detailed, precise and clean, but never over-analytical due to the added warmth. Treble sounds a bit dim but is full of the faintest detail. Sounds very realistic to me.

The Burmester 101 replace my Line Magnetic 218ia SET-amp. It is better in every way, and costs about twice the LM. Well, to be honest, the magical presentation of vocals on the SET-amp is very hard to beat, but thats all. I think/hope it's my end amp.

Amp standings on Forte III so far:

1. Burmester 101
2. PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium with KT120.
3. Line Magnetic 218
4. Burmester 051
5. Rega Brio

Excellent.  As you stated, seems the only place that Class D and most other amps fall short is in the midrange (only slightly) to a SET.  To me the additions of much fuller and controlled sound out weigh it in the long run.

• Like 2