1st gen RF-7 normal impedance?

marems

Hi Everybody!  I’ve got some first generation RF-7’s and I am running them off a McIntosh MC 352.  The question is, what is the normal impedance for the RF-7’s? Are they 6ohm or 4ohm?  I have ran them off the 4ohm taps ever since i got them due to what I had read about the low impedance dips they pull.  I just recently hooked them up to the 8ohm tap; and what I’ve found so far is the 8ohm tap gives a more in your face presentation with a slight sizzle sound to the highend compared to the 4ohm tap. The 8ohm tap also makes the Mac run slightly warmer to the touch..... 4 or 8 ohm tap?  I would like to hear some observations from those who have run 1st gen RF-7’s off autoformer Mac amps. Thank you! 

The RF-7s reportedly had dips down to 2.8 Ohms a couple of times above what you normally would cross them over to a sub (i.e., above 100 Hz)  but had a jagged Frequency Response Curve that made them "8 Ohm Compatible." IOW, because of their those lower impedance dips they couldn't be classified as actual 8 Ohm speakers but as long as you provide them enough current (which you are) then connecting them to your amp on the 8 Ohm setting should be fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marems said:

Thanks everyone for your input. I was told before that it ultimately boils down to personal preference for which tap to use. I do like to hear others experiences so thank you again everyone 

Your evaluation makes sense.  Use what you like.  One tap will provide slightly smoother and tighter sound while the other will provide more of the lift you hear.