Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX system stopped working, looks like it's lost power

cancelbubble

Hello all,

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX system like this (amber Klipsch THX badges and power pad incorporated into one of the smaller satellite speakers).

These speakers have produced fantastic quality sound, I have loved this system on my PC.

It has apparently just lost power (while in use), the green light on the speaker power pad is no longer illuminated. The sound literally just cut out while they were in use, no electrical smells or any weird sounds, it was as if they were simply unplugged.

I have always had them on 24/7/365, hooked into my PC. I've owned them for maybe 1.5 years, so not that old.

I've done the typically trouble shooting - unplugged/plugged back in, restarted my PC, checked the Windows 10 "manage audio devices/sound" looked to see if the speakers bar was being colorized up/down as audio is played. All to no avail. There's no static/buzzing sound when I plug them into my PC, or that static/buzzing sound when you touch your finger tip on the plug end that goes into your PC. They appear to be completely dead.

I plugged in an older set of speakers into my PC and those work fine, so obviously seems to be something with the Klipsch speakers.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to trouble shoot this on the Klipsch speakers? It seems like perhaps a fuse has blown?

I've opened up the subwoofer and taken some photos of the electronics (imgur.com gallery)

It all looks very clean inside, I don't see any signs of any connection being burned or damaged and there was no electrical burning smell when it went out.

Can anyone identify where the fuse is on this? I'd like to see about replacing that as the speaker system seems to be power dead. I'm obviously no electronics expert and only know enough to get myself electrocuted. I don't have any electronics troubleshooting equipment, either.

• 3 months later...

I've noticed the same thing - although I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now.

It's kind of annoying that they put paint on all the components inside. I work as an electronics technician so I'm trying to figure this out. So far I noticed that the fuse on the power supply board opened. So I went to Microcenter, bought a new one, and replaced it but it popped as well. So there must be another problem but, like you, nothing inside looks burnt. I found a set of schematics for the 2.1, but it seems to be an older revision (it had a fuse on the outside, a power switch, a different power supply, and different parts inside). 

I'll let you know what I find. 

Oh, and the fuse is labeled "F1" and it's right next to the connector for the AC power. The specifications for it "T2A/L250V" are next to it as well. It's not a cartridge type fuse, they made it a through-hole component that is soldered onto the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the schematic on the site where they are located.  There is an new schematic for the newer ProMedia 2.1 boards (no switch or external fuse) as well as the old schematic (switch & external fuse).  Maybe that will help for starters.

The fuse on the newer board looks like the pink thing (rectangle box through hole component, cartridge I'm guessing is called) from the images. 

I read somewhere that the new board a MOSFET needed replacing when a fuse is being blown... though not sure if the same situation.  I'd check in circuit testable components and traces to see if something is open or out of spec bad.  Then you can try testing transistors in circuit unless you notice something strange... which is best to test those like capacitors out of circuit.  

You can also test the power rails... though be careful when doing so.  I'd check continuity first on the plug with a good fuse to make sure there isn't an open circuit like something in the transformer is blown.  Same goes on the resistance/continuity of the other side of the transformer.  I bought a cheap $7 and now they're $11 LCR meter to test components which works great.  You can test the inductors also if bad. 

I'd go with continuity testing first with a good fuse in, diode testing and then resistance of the resistors.  You can also do some testing of the other component with conductivity and resistance testing too... though is more challenging in circuit unless you understand the circuit schematics real well.  I'm still not that skilled yet. 

• 1 year later...

My Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX system died, too.

I've had this system for maybe two years. I'm not a gamer, I just bought the product because I wanted something better than the low end stuff available for less than $50. I thought it would be pretty long-lasting if it was designed for gaming. Anyway, I've never played it very loud and have listened to music and YouTube videos, mostly. Today it went dead on me. Just like the descriptions above. No pilot led on the satellite with the control pod. Never made a smell or a noise. Even though it's dead, the panel screwed onto the back of the subwoofer, which presumably has the amp electronics attached on the other side, is slightly warm to the touch. Unlike one of the posters above, I shut down the system when I'm not using it. It probably averages 6-8 hours powered up each day.

So, I presume I'm just out the money I spent. If anybody knows any different, please enlighten me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All!

Along same lines as "my 2.1 BT THX system quit" - I actually have 2 of these systems - 1 for my PC and 1 for Zwift - not sure but had for a number of years now. Love the sound! But moved to new place in Sept and found that BOTH now produce an odd occasional popping loud noise plus subwoofer hum. Switched satellites, control pods, subs and plugged into other outlets but still these noises.

Only used for very moderate Youtubes and some music plus Zwift...

Contacted Klipsch via chat few weeks ago and they suggested plugging headphones into control pod to listen for the pops but couldn't tell.

Emailed cust service again about a week ago but NO response....so now what???  Donate to Goodwill???

Been a Klipsch fan for years now but very sad their cust serv has disappeared...

• 5 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:06 AM, Wisner9 said:

Hey All!

Along same lines as "my 2.1 BT THX system quit" - I actually have 2 of these systems - 1 for my PC and 1 for Zwift - not sure but had for a number of years now. Love the sound! But moved to new place in Sept and found that BOTH now produce an odd occasional popping loud noise plus subwoofer hum. Switched satellites, control pods, subs and plugged into other outlets but still these noises.

Only used for very moderate Youtubes and some music plus Zwift...

Contacted Klipsch via chat few weeks ago and they suggested plugging headphones into control pod to listen for the pops but couldn't tell.

Emailed cust service again about a week ago but NO response....so now what???  Donate to Goodwill???

Been a Klipsch fan for years now but very sad their cust serv has disappeared...

I also have a similar setup with 2 Pro Medial 2.1 speaker systems. Loved them when they worked. 

Now I lost subwoofer on 1 system and channel amp on another. 

I have electronics repair background and could do component level repair.  However these days it is cheaper and faster to just replace the board. Besides, I no longer have access to an O-scope. Was hoping to find replacement, updated, circuit boards for replacement. Possible?  Anyone ever do this?  

Found some web pages that go over repairing the board where the power resistors have deteriorated the solder joints.  I will start there with upgraded power resistors.  Will try to update this thread with my accomplishments.

Edited by Steve Meyer

• 2 months later...

Any luck finding a solution?  I'm having the same problem, no power or green light.  I have an older model.  The outside fuse looks good as well as the 2 inside fuses.  I see no burn marks on any of the inside boards and the capacitors look fine.  Any ideas? 

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I own a ProMedia 2.1 set of speakers (bluetooth version). I bought them used without guaranty (my bad). After about one year of usage one channel died and soon after the other one too.

Now my only choices are to repair it or throw it away. I have an oscilloscope and a soldering iron so I would like to attempt a repair. However I am not an electronics engineer, so reverse-engineering the board without schematics is above my pay-grade. But if I had the schematics it could be possible.

The schematics linked in this thread is for an older model: http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/New_2-1/New_2-1_bash_amp.htm

Does anyone know where to find the schematics of the new Bluetooth version? I have already contacted Klipsch and they said (understandably) that they do not want to disclose the schematics with a perfect stranger like me.

I am attaching a picture of the sub-woofer board: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tt6Ym6hESnwWdVo68

• 3 months later...

Hello expert, My Klipsch Pro Media V2.1 from older generation with (Fuse). The sound was fantastic until recently when I on the power and strong green light turned on but it will last about 1.5- 2 hours the green light starting to faded and guess what eventually the light goes off... but still I can hear the sound. If I increase my laptop volume, the sound can't be loud and not clear. May I know what is going on? I really love this speaker set and even my family love it.. because the sound is crips and warm... really good sound system. I haven't open and check the amps because I hope I can find some answer before I started. TQ

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi. My 2.1 BT version has the light on still but NO sound or music via BT or Aux. My only thought is that some random device in my house has connected to the BT. I’ve forgotten the set on every device I’ve ever connected but maybe I need to check my wife’s and teenager’s devices as well. 

• 4 months later...

I have the Klipsch 2.1 also (non Bluetooth) I have the same problem, I turn the volume up a little (not even halfway) and everything shuts down. 
    This seems like a common problem with with a lot of them. The company needs to do something about it. There’s no way these units passed QA before they shipped out the door, no way. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My set is two months old and just stopped. I guess it goes in the trash and I know better than to buy a piece of garbage from this company ever again. I tried restarting, checked all the connectors, there'd been no power outage or anything, and there IS no reset button on the subwoofer.