Memphis TN Impressions

finallygotmyheresies

I have an opportunity to transfer to Memphis TN. I'm going to fly out there in a couple of weeks to check the town and workplace out to see if it's worth it to leave Phoenix. For anybody that either lives there or knows the area, any suggestions on areas to scope out to live? I know I don't want to be in an area that relies on engineering to control flood water. Based off of internet research I think Wolfchase to Germantown is the area I will like the most. I'm pretty surprised at how affordable homes are there, I hope it's not because the area is terrible.

my fiance & I had Memphis on our list of possible relocation destinations if we had to move for me to find a job I wanted.  we did some research but wound up staying here in Jackson MS (3.5 hrs south) cuz a job came up here without having to move.  but in our research it seemed like an area similar to Jackson & Birmingham where we both have lived before or do currently - has pros & cons. 

housing market was slightly more expensive than Jackson. as I recall:  for a home +/- 1800 sf not updated since 1980, avg price I recall was about 190k.  new homes +/- 1300 sf FS around 200k.  traffic = busy.  but seems like an area we could adjust to & like.  bigger area than Jackson which is fine with us - more amenities & conveniences.

good luck in your oppportunity.

edit:  one of the online home search tools (Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, etc) has demographic stuff as a layer in its search - things like grocery, crime, school etc.  don't remember which one but that info was very useful.  for what we could tell (based on Birmingham market where we lived for years), it seemed reasonably accurate.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The bbq will be better in Memphis.  But avoid that place coasting on the Elvis reputation.  Pulled pork is the way to go, the ribs...meh.

Thanks for the tip! While I enjoy food greatly, the local cuisine won't influence my choice to go or stay put. I like eating BBQ but prefer to make it myself. I find almost all sauces to be too sweet. I like simple dry rubs.

• Like 1

I appreciate that.  There are a few places I might resist relocating to based on local cuisine.  Any place that calls tri tip bbq is suspect in my book.  That white sauce in northern alabama  could be another do not go.  Sweet bbq in Georgia might not keep me away, but it doesn't help.  I can't say much for that bizarre mid atlantic region, except I can guarantee you that what they call chili in Cincinnati is an abomination, and a daily reminder of it might drive me to second amendment remedies.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I appreciate that.  There are a few places I might resist relocating to based on local cuisine.  Any place that calls tri tip bbq is suspect in my book.  That white sauce in northern alabama  could be another do not go.  Sweet bbq in Georgia might not keep me away, but it doesn't help.  I can't say much for that bizarre mid atlantic region, except I can guarantee you that what they call chili in Cincinnati is an abomination, and a daily reminder of it might drive me to second amendment remedies.

Texans and Ohioans have different ideas on what chili is and what to put in it.

JJK

• Like 1

For the same reason I did...but I was there for five years. I used to live in midtown, off North Parkway, about two blocks from Rhodes College. Left in 1980 and haven't been back. It's bigger now. At the time, midtown was a reasonable, relaxed area and I worked at WHBQ TV, across from UofM. Germantown would probably be a better area.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, windashine said:

I was a PFC in the Marine Air Wing stationed there for 6 months, in a barrack back in 1978... my main fascination with Millington was being on the air base and using my free time to sign up for instrument check-out rides each weekend, in a CH-46 or CH-53 helicopter... that's about it,

Thats pretty interesting, thanks for the insight.

Mike... I lived exactly in the cordova/germantown area for 6-7 years. Wolfchase mall is cool, but the town is small compared to a larger metro area lifestyle... which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your wants and needs. Being close to pretty much everything like the fairgrounds, the aboretum, art gallery is very cool.

I enjoyed my time in memphis, but it is a mindset change versus the west coast idea and lifestyle. The tornado warnimgs will blow your mind and it is very unnerving... give me a earthquake over a negative pressure system any day. The change of seasons is great and the annual snow fall isnt that bad... better if you habe a four wheel drive auto.

It was good for me also being close to Tunica MS for poker...  :)

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

3947869166_e539df4850_o.jpg

3322866200_e352d1380f_b.jpg

• Like 1

I've not seen it mentioned yet....but Tennessee is one of the several states that doesn't have any state income tax.

That said, I've only driven through (usually on my way to Hope) and stopped once for the BBQ at (I think) Rondevouz....  

It wasn't bad at all....  but for repeat visits....  I'd rather have the Cincinnati Chilli than the bbq I had in Memphis.

(ok, you can all string me up now & put me in shackles)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

You'll be  a lot closer to hope ak for the annual meet and great.

Memphis is a looooong way from Alaska.  :D

The USPS abbreviation for Arkansas is AR.

Alaska = AK

Arizona = AZ

Arkansas = AR

It's a common mistake.  :)

Back on topic....  The dry rub ribs at The Rendevous are delicious! 

Some incredible music has been made in Memphis; it's the home to Stax Records and Sun Studios.  If you want to see some live music, head down to Beale St.

• Like 1

Schu mentioned Wolfchase mall.  I didn't think to mention in previous post but I was in Memphis for a day visit for work recently; specifically in the Wolfchase area.

nice looking area, lots of shopping etc.  not run down at all - bunch o big box stores, chain restaurants & the like.  nice area but cannot speak to any surrounding residential areas as I didn't take time to assess.  highways are wide & busy, even in midday but did move well even in pm rush hour.

• Like 1