Memphis TN Impressions

finallygotmyheresies

6 hours ago, Schu said:

You'll be  a lot closer to hope ak for the annual meet and great.

Haha, that actually crossed my mind when I originally applied for the position. Small world that you lived there for so long. My hotel is near the Wolfchase mall so I will at the very least drive around it while I'm there. Normally I prefer a downtown area where houses are older and have character but if I take the plunge and decide to buy I would buy keeping re-sale in mind. This job will open me up to more opportunities for other federal positions so it's possible that it would be a 1-2 year gig. I'm surprised to hear about tornadoes being an issue but I guess I shouldn't be. I just don't remember hearing of that kind of severe weather being in TN but I have never really paid much attention in the past. I am hoping that the humidity isn't as bad as south florida, that's what made living there unpleasant. Even worse than the people lol. Forum members are excluded from my last statement. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got to spend a few days in Memphis this week. I felt like the people there were really friendly and it seemed like a nice place to live. It was pretty darn hot, 91-92° with high humidity which seemed a little warm for Oct. I was surprised at how easy it was to get around the area even though direct drives from point A to B were non exhistant. I checked out homes in Cordova, Olive Branch, Germantown, midtown and  Millington. I ate at Rendevous for lunch. Checked out Main St, Beale St and Shelby Farms. Everywhere I went the people seemed genuinely nice and appeared happy. The last hurdle is to see what my salary offer is. Iguess i will find out if the VA MISSION ACT will impact the salary offers HR gives to transfers and new hirees.

I can't speak for other states but, coming from Ohio, one thing I noticed about the roads in Tennessee is they are usually well maintained.  (also, not as many skunks smashed on the road)  I don't miss the potholes I grew up with.

I know it usually depends on what area you move to, but Memphis is high on the list of most violent cities in America. One list it was ranked 3rd, another list it was ranked 4th. I'm not trying to scare you, just thought it might be good to know. I live outside of a large city, and there is crime everywhere. If my wife or daughter want to go to the city, I try to go with them. Good luck.

Maybe not as many skunks, but you will find an inordinate amount of dead or wandering snapping turtles in the roads in that area. FYI Mike, DO NOT try and pick them up... they are very aggressive and are like little prehistoric dinosaurs. I've seen them a foot and a half to two feet in diameter. I don't know if they are good eatin.

Snap-x2-6.jpg

And yes, Memphis is extremely high in murder rates... but it's mainly in the lower income areas and down towards the river area. I never felt in danger when I lived there... but I wasn't out at night clubbing it either.

19 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== and to the contrary - they don’t know if You are good eatin’ —

so true... I remember there was a time when I saw one sitting in the middle of the road so I thought to myself... "I am going to go get'em and put him back in the woods".

this thing was huge, at least a 14-16" in diameter so I was saying to myself that it might be better if I sneak up on him from behind and just grab him and he wont be able to do anything one I have him by the shell.

As I sidled up to him from the arse end I remember thinking, this might not be the best idea Ive ever had... and just as I am about to lean in a grab him, he literally jumped up into the air and did 180º pivot while in mid air, landed and was now facing me down... hissing and pissed.

I backed off and looked at a lady that just happened to driving by at that moment and she was looking at me and was laughing her arse off... I left after that.

• Haha 1

ok, to assist the OP, I volunteered to search for instinct and picking up snapping turtle's... but did not include Memphis, it's amazing that the internet has covered this topic lol, especially utube, nevertheless, they even snap at the professional catchers, so I did not post the link.... but we can rest assured, Memphis may be the safest place on earth, from a Tsunami....

18 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I know it usually depends on what area you move to, but Memphis is high on the list of most violent cities in America. One list it was ranked 3rd, another list it was ranked 4th. I'm not trying to scare you, just thought it might be good to know. I live outside of a large city, and there is crime everywhere. If my wife or daughter want to go to the city, I try to go with them. Good luck.

I do appreciate the heads up and crime is always a concern of mine. I definitley put in the time to research any potential home Im considering buying. Ive been fortunate to have made good choices so far.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Schu said:

Maybe not as many skunks, but you will find an inordinate amount of dead or wandering snapping turtles in the roads in that area. FYI Mike, DO NOT try and pick them up... they are very aggressive and are like little prehistoric dinosaurs. I've seen them a foot and a half to two feet in diameter. I don't know if they are good eatin.

Snap-x2-6.jpg

And yes, Memphis is extremely high in murder rates... but it's mainly in the lower income areas and down towards the river area. I never felt in danger when I lived there... but I wasn't out at night clubbing it either.

Thanks Schu but I have experience with snapping turtles from growing up in Michigan. I have never seen one quite that big but even with the smaller ones I know that they are dangerous. I did not know about their ability to jump however! That is good information to keep in mind in case I come across one.

Schu, what did you think of Shelby Farms Park when you were there? It may have changed a lot since you left as it looks like there were some pretty fresh landscaping done but maybe it had just been expanded. Lots of areas the look big enough and secluded enough to let a dog run off the chain and go swimming. It looks like a great resource and a place that it would be nice to live near.