New CF3 Owner Advice

rannydhodes

thanks for the link, i didnt see the specs when i searched "cf4" on the home page.  34hz!  that supports what i was saying, they go as low or lower than many of the bigger klipsch models.  something else is going on with the room, speaker position or gear if people cant get good quality low bass out of thier cf-3 or 4.   

On 9/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, wvu80 said:

Welcome to the Klipsch forums, and welcome to the Epic Owner's Club!  Here is everything you want to know in one place:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/&/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/?hl=%2Bepic%2B%2Bowners

You are now the proud owner at a good price of the CF-3's version 1.  That also means Year 1 since they were only made for three years commonly known as versions 1,2,3.  Version one's are the Holy Grail of the Epic series well known for their clear sound and excellent articulation.  FYI you have Light Oak which is not all that common. 

You mentioned you heard a "crackling."  Could that be a slight "buzz" and it only happens at a particular frequency?  If so you could have a loose dust cap.  Get back to me if you think that is the problem and I can help you fix it quick and easy.

-Dave

Dave, I switched the horns and the crackling was in the same box, so it must not be the horn. I can hear it at various volume levels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rannydhodes said:

Dave, I switched the horns and the crackling was in the same box, so it must not be the horn. I can hear it at various volume levels. 

Try running a Youtube frequency sweep (if internet access).  See if the crackling sound is at all frequencies, or just one.

My advice will help you diagnose a buzz if there is a loose dust cover on a woofer.  If it's a crackling I'm not sure what that is.

crackling can be a partially blown woofer as well.  ive had woofers still work but a "scratchy" feeling when pushed in by hand, then at higher volumes or bass heavy music they would crackle &/or pop.  a loose dust cap you can sometimes feel by hand when tapping on the cap.  

Well, I do like bass.  So I'm running the CF4 V1's.  Room is 13 x 17, 9.5 ft ceiling.  Bass traps in all 4 corners.

i've driven them with a Pass Labs 250.8 and a BAT VK200.

Both provided quite a bit of bass.  They don't go quite a low as my DynAudio Contour 60's that I used to have.  BUT, they go pretty darn low and move more air than the Dyn's.  They feel and provide a much bigger sound.

They definitely move some air, I do get a bit of a kick with them.  It's very punchy.  They sound huge.

I have crossed them with a sub at times, and I almost felt I had to bump the sub higher than I even like to get more bass, but it definitely wasn't as smooth.  Now the sub would dig a little deeper, but it was rare that I heard notes with the sub that I didn't hear with the CF4's alone.

They do an awful lot right.  Imaging is quite good, though they don't have the deepest sound stage.  No question you are sitting in the front 2 rows with them though.  They are very articulate and live for sure.  

Really a good speaker.  Has me once again thinking about the JBL M2's, which is the best horn speaker I've ever heard.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DEP14 said:

i've driven them with a Pass Labs 250.8 and a BAT VK200.

Nice amp.  Most owners like them with SS amps and lots of power, 200 wpc or more to get those woofers woofing. 

They definitely move some air, I do get a bit of a kick with them.  It's very punchy.  They sound huge.

Yep.  :D  I think in terms of dynamics, same thing.  Really nice articulation in the mid range.

I have crossed them with a sub, and I almost felt I had to bump the sub higher than I even like to get more bass, but it definitely wasn't as smooth.  Now the sub would dig a little deeper, but it was rare that I heard notes with the sub that I didn't hear with the CF4's alone.

Agree.  What my 500 watt 15" sealed sub does with my CF-4 is give authority to the lowest octave.  You don't just hear the tubas, you feel the tubas which is what they sound like in real life.

They do an awful lot right.  Imaging is quite good, though they don't have the deepest sound stage.  No question you are sitting in the front 2 rows with them though.  They are very articulate and live for sure.  

Really a good speaker.  Has me once again thinking about the JBL M2's, which is the best horn speaker I've ever heard.

JBL M2's???  Those are $22,000 speakers!  I hope they sound pretty good.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Is that a tube amp?  Most owners like them with SS amps and lots of power, 200 wpc or more to get those woofers woofing. 

Nope, both are beastly SS, though Pass Labs voices them to be a bit tube like in the midrange I feel.

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yep.  :D  I think in terms of dynamics, same thing.  Really nice articulation in the mid range.

Agree.  What my 500 watt 15" sealed sub does with my CF-4 is give authority to the lowest octave.  You don't just hear the tubas, you feel the tubas which is what they sound like in real life.

JBL M2's???  Those are $22,000 speakers!  I hope they sound pretty good.  :lol:

As for the JBL's, they can be had for much, much less.

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, El Roi said:

Great thread.  I have a pair of Epic CF-3's and I was wondering how you can determine whether or not the are version 1, 2 or 3? 

serial number on the rear tags will identify the date.  post the number or a pic.