Tweeter stopped working on RF-5

TheFiend1

Hey guys!

I have a pair of RF-5 tower speakers that I think were damaged during a move. The one speaker is fine but the other one's tweeter/horn isnt coming on any more. The silver dome looks physically damaged also :( Is there a replacement part I can order to replace it?

The serial number is RF5MP--02160096, 8 ohms. 

I tried finding something on ebay but I wanted to ask here just in case.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, TheFiend1 said:

I checked the wiring - its on there real tight. Unless it came off somewhere down below but It seemed like it was connected. 

Take the tweeter out and disconnect the wiring.  Put an ohm meter across the driver terminals and tell us what reading you get.

5 minutes ago, TheFiend1 said:

sorry for the delay. Searched everywhere for my multimeter and finally found it. It was reading around 3.5 to 3.7 on the terminals - which doesnt sound right.

Well, it's not open which would have automatically condemned it.  The best thing to do is swap it to the other speaker and see if it plays in that one.  If it doesn't you know that the driver is the issue.  If it does, you know the problem is in the speaker itself.

The jumper straps were secure at the terminal cup?

I swapped the speaker to the other tower and it worked. Checked the crossover from the original speaker's tower - one of wires of the on one end of the large black capacitors, soldered to the PCB, dislocated and took the top layer of the PCB with it!!! I tried super-gluing it back (no solder gun) - but that didnt solve the problem :( Looks  like a need a new crossover assembly.

IMG-1433.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, TheFiend1 said:

sorry for the delay. Searched everywhere for my multimeter and finally found it. It was reading around 3.5 to 3.7 on the terminals - which doesnt sound right.

The serial number on the driver is K-119-KB (129086?) April 2, 2002

Yes those tweeter diaphragms should be 4 ohm, Crites replacement will fit but are not correct for the RF-5. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, TheFiend1 said:

I was looking at this for the diaphragm replacement instead of replacing the whole thing. Do you guys think this will work? 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k-79-k100ti.html

Thanks again!

I thought the problem was your crossover and not the tweeter.  If that's the case, why are you looking for a diaphragm?

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I thought the problem was your crossover and not the tweeter.  If that's the case, why are you looking for a diaphragm?

The problem is the crossover but on that same speaker the diaphragm is messed up. Id like to replace it if I can. 

I'll contact Klipsch and see if they can locate one.