Heresy H-WB REFINISH QUESTION

boricua2480

Hey I just got a pair of Heresy H-WB’s and there’s some water spots and a scratch on top of one of the speakers so I’m wondering if these are veneered or if they’re birch or similar. I’d like to refinish both when I get around to refinishing the MWM’s so I can get it all done at once. Also does anyone know what black stain would be similar to the factory finish? Thanks for the help 

2 hours ago, windashine said:

feel free to check out the forum section - 2 channel home audio, then select Klipsch Heritage codes.... enjoy

I had checked that section to find out more info but the weird thing is, it doesn’t reference this model, the H-WB. And the .pdf of the speaker shows the color options, but WB isn’t the initials for any of the color options listed. 

the R stands for 1977

my first time seeing WB on a label but the 1st thing that comes to mind is Walnut Black. i do remember they used to paint the veneer black if the veneer was not perfect

O is oil - L is laquer - R is raw - B is black

Andy ( HDBR  Builder ) sees this he will comment because he worked there at that time period

What I've read, probably here, is what Budman wrote. 

I also looked at various price lists and observe that there are model codes all of similar arrangements and coding.  But none uses a B in the last position of a three-letter group.    Therefore armchair guess #1 is that the B might actually be an R. (R is in the serial number and that B could be and R with slip of the pen, maybe). 

Armchair guess #2 follows Budman, assuming these are painted black as alluded to.  When a veneer flaw is discovered and the boxes are painted, the craftsman (craftsperson) has to mark them as yours are for lack of anything else and this is not a conventional code which makes it to the price list as a regularly sold item.

Andy will know for sure.

Below is part of an old price list.  The midrange horn looks to be a K-1000 and there are other options for drivers.

WMcD

Old Price List re Heresy.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Budman said:

the R stands for 1977

my first time seeing WB on a label but the 1st thing that comes to mind is Walnut Black. i do remember they used to paint the veneer black if the veneer was not perfect

Andy ( HDBR  Builder ) sees this he will comment because he worked there at that time period

The story on these is that the lady has had them since given to her from someone high up at Klipsch. She used to live in Hope and babysat for someone that worked there and they gave these to her as a thank you for helping out. She said she knew the Klipsch’s and I think she said was taught French by Mrs Klipsch? I was trying to listen to her tell the story while I was setting them up for audition before I bought em so I missed part of the story. Pretty cool either way. 

How about some photos of the top, sides, etc?

23 hours ago, Budman said:

If they are black the assumption of WB being "walnut black" sounds logical.

Bill