Epic CF-3, ver. 3

Bonzo

Found a pretty nice, one owner pair, of CF-3’s in dark cherry at a yard sale today. I have had the version 1’s before, great sounding speakers. One of the reasons I sold them was the very poor condition of the cabinets, grills etc. The pair I picked up today have a few veneer issues, nothing major, and nice grills but one badge is missing. Haven’t had a chance to do much listening today so far but, what I’ve heard has been great. One immediate improvement in the sound was bi-wiring with my Yamaha A-S701. It really cleaned up the highs and the low end. I have read most all the opinions on the version 1 vs 2 vs 3........Curious if anyone had the opportunity to A/B/C the various versions in the same room with the same equipment at the same time? I will be doing that with my Forte II’s which will be fun. Kind of wish I would have kept the version 1’s now. Oh, when a yard sale is advertised in the newspaper and lists Klipsch speakers, chances are the people having the sale are not kids and likely not little computer speakers. Just sayin’.....

EFFD9ED9-8915-44E9-B704-3B377E4CA055.jpeg

• Like 1

let us know your opinion of them, especially compared to the fortes.  theres a recent thread saying they dont have good bass, bass on all epics ive heard is very good.

i've heard v3 & recently sold my v2 cf4, even with the stated changes between the 2, they both sounded excellent & very similiar.

From what I have read over the years, the negative spin of the later versions, was basically started by one guy.  I remember reading his Epic tale, almost 20 years ago on Audio Asylum.   He talked of the different versions, started referencing the version 1 CF4's, as "the holy grail."  Though no one who has actually heard some of the different versions has made the same statements.  I have only heard my own CF3's,  so can't say one way or another.  Perhaps, we should give the later versions a little break. 😀  

• Like 1

I have read that one opinion and, again, wonder if there was a direct comparison of the various versions? I think not. I have had version 1’s and now version 3’s separated by a few moths. I would not begin to pretend I could tell you which speaker sounds better/worse. My audio memory, memory in general for that matter, isn’t very good. I didn’t get a chance to listen much today unfortunately, hopefully tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I have CF-3 version 3's in walnut that I bought new. I let my daughter use them for a while and now have them back. Have not personally heard version 1's, the opinion I have heard  on this forum is the 1's are better but by how much I don't know. I do know that they were a variation from the typical Klipsch design at that time.

i fully agree with the recent posts about v1 vs 2 or 3... its like most things on the internet, one guy says something & everyone hops on the bandwagon & repeats the opinion like they have first hand knowledge of it. 

i would love to participate in a blind a/b test of things like this, back to back tests would likely show nobody could consistently tell the difference.  or to let people listen to any given version & identify it or say, "yep, those are v3 & they sound terrible."  

Recently had a pair of CF4 V3 side by side with my CF3 V1 and I can say that though the differences are there, they're very minimal; some of which can be attributed to the 10" versus 12" woofers. It was a tough decision to sell the CF4 V3's because they absolutely smoked a couple of the other speakers in my collection but I can't keep them all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Anyone is welcome to come over to my place and give a test to the v1 vs v3 debate. I own both pairs

I couldn't help but notice you didn't list your address.  We don't even know what part of the country you're from!  Sniff, sniff, that's OK, I can pick up what you're layin' down.  :sad:

But seriously, c'mon man, you own both versions?  What's your opinion?  B)

Hi Guys,  I had 3 pairs of C-F4's all at the same time.  Version 1,2,and 3.    I sold the version 3's to a forum member here.   I've A/B them over and over on high powered vintage receivers that have been restored.    Let me say first, my hearing is not what it once was.   To me there was very little difference between them.   They all sounded great.   I have friends that tell me they are too brite on the high end with the SS gear.  I'm going to try some tube gear and see if I can hear a difference.  

I also have C-F3 version 1. They also play rock very well.  

38 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I couldn't help but notice you didn't list your address.  We don't even know what part of the country you're from!  Sniff, sniff, that's OK, I can pick up what you're layin' down.  :sad:

But seriously, c'mon man, you own both versions?  What's your opinion?  B)

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. 15-20 minutes NW of downtown Minneapolis. I've never A/B them and have never hooked up the v3 the entire ~10 months I've owned them actually. Got a steal of a deal though

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, mimalmo said:

Recently had a pair of CF4 V3 side by side with my CF3 V1 and I can say that though the differences are there, they're very minimal; some of which can be attributed to the 10" versus 12" woofers. It was a tough decision to sell the CF4 V3's because they absolutely smoked a couple of the other speakers in my collection but I can't keep them all.

So, it seems, you preferred the CF3's to the CF4's. 

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

What is your impression of the bass between the models? I have read mixed reports on the bass from the CF4's. 

Tightness of kick drums on the version 1 was better than version 3. That could be from the difference in the cone material or the difference between the 10" and 12" attack.

• Like 1

"Tightness of kick drums on the version 1 was better than version 3. That could be from the difference in the cone material or the difference between the 10" and 12" attack."

Two twelve inch woofers are going to push WAY more air than a pair of tens can. That's not a comparison but rather that is what would would be expected.You could slide your CF3 closer to the corners or back toward the front wall to increase bass weight by means of boundary reflection.