Today's the day....

Coytee

Lemme tell ya....  it's a real pain to fuel this thing up!!  Fuel inlet is on top and the hood is approaching 7 feet off the ground which means you have to hoist 5-gallon buckets into a precarious position.  I decided to not fight it and hold/tilt them....so I got my siphon squeeze ball out that is used for kerosene heaters to empty the jugs of fuel.  Kind of slow but saved (my typical) mess and clearly saved the back because it would have been a real nasty angle to hold them high enough.

It would be nice to have a powered pump but alas.....that's never going to happen.

Came about half full so ended up putting 20 gallons into it (I think it has 45 gallon tank).  I made a comment to my wife's cousin (who was checking it out with me)....  I said we don't really want to ever run it down to "empty" and fight eight or nine 5-gallon jugs....  I'd much rather top it off every time it's used so we only have to wrestle with 1,2 or 3 jugs.

Mower got delivered today too.  Thing weighs something like 4,000 lbs AND....  has no jack on the front (like a trailer jack).  I need to replace that so I can adjust it up/down.  Am glad I had the backhoe.  Chained it to the front bucket and "drove" it to where I needed it to be.  I'll need the hoe to lift the tongue when I fix the missing jack or just to mount to tractor.

Looks like these things have some niggling issues but in the end, that's ok.  Though I wish they were pristine, I kind of like digging in and taking things apart to fix them.

I do have to say....  I love big toys!!

41 minutes ago, windashine said:

can you edit a pic and show where you plan on the 12x15 1/2" plate to go ?  

I don't know exactly as I've not yet tried to hold the multiplier up to the PTO.  That said....my back end looks a bit different than yours.  (??)

Looks like yours has some form of plate surrounding the 1000 pto whereas, I don't think mine has that.

So, that said, I was wondering several things.

1.  Maybe use the side bolts (I have four where you see the pitiful "arrows".  Well, I only made three arrows here, top left, top right and lower left.  You can see the bolts on the side. 

2.  Mount to the face of the PTO but...  I'll have to rotate the plate some to avoid the 1000 shaft.  I put circles where I think some of those bolts are.  Additionally, if I recall correctly, there are other bolts holding the entire PTO plate to the tractor.  You can see those inset about two inches.  I wonder (and don't know) if I could use a spacer and mount onto those.  Those seem to have bigger bolts.

When I talked to Alamo, I said I had a 1000 pto tractor.....  could I just mount the pump to 1000 and forget the multipler?  (nope was a pretty quick answer)

Then....I got to looking through the manuals.....  it SEEMS as though you can get the multipler geared for both, 540 or 1000 pto's.  I've not dug into that yet as I still have to mount it to the tractor so that might not gain me much.

I parked the tractor away from the house, I'll try to get a picture of the back later.

PTO.thumb.jpg.39be1bd01a429a29689ee7e270ac1a5d.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have a tractor, just found the pto pic on a 1066 int search... always interested in questions, and what if's...

man my search went off base after I sent the pic above, I hope the partnership chime's in and assists with a lean-to shed, or a 8 ft outlet on a 250 gallon fuel storage tank on four poles...

when ur friends friend is a.jpg

Here are some pictures.

The pto has some arrows.  They look like potential screw holes that were attacked by mud daubers...  I'm guessing a mix of those and the inset bolts would be what's needed however, the multiplier has to be angled a bit to the side to clear the upper PTO (or maybe just put spacers in there to hold it far enough away to not get ground to dust.

Couple beauty shots of the multipler.  You can get an idea that it's not terribly thick....  it's just a geared housing to multiply the pto speed by 4x.

The bolts you see are the bolts that hold the actual hydraulic pump to the multiplier.  

It was kind of dirty so I haven't yet fooled with it.  I might take a power washer to the entire thing.

PTO1.jpg

Multiplier.jpg

Side.jpg

1 hour ago, windashine said:

I hope the partnership chime's in and assists with a lean-to shed, or a 8 ft outlet on a 250 gallon fuel storage tank on four poles...

Highly doubtful....  there are 12 owners of the farm (the three houses here are deeded separately)

One of the owners (inheritors) prefers to have the cash value so wants to sell....  given that....  they will probably sell.

He made a comment one day when we were trying out various tractors to cut the place.  I don't recall his words but the essence of it was "I don't want to make cutting the place TOO easy because that would make it easy to keep the farm....  since we're going to sell it, I'd rather it be a chore to cut the place"

(I presume so we want to get rid of the hassle)

It was real pretzel logic....but that's his way of thinking so I just nodded & shut up.  (he's part of the family, I'm only a spouse so I try to walk carefully when I'm talking to various members of the family that utilize pretzel logic)

A fuel tower would REALLY make it easy to keep the place.....  so that would be out.

(shrugs shoulders and rolls eyes a bit)

It's a hydraulic mower.  It operates off its own pump, not the tractor hydraulics.

Mount a plate to the tractor (my plate of 'issue') and you can essentially leave it there (should you take mower off)

To that plate, mounts a "speed multiplier" which is pictured above.  The multiplier takes the 540 rpm pto and multiples it by 4 to get the flow needed inside the pump.

The pump is then attached to the multiplier and various hoses go from the pump back to the mower.  Couple for lifting the wings (these are each on their own circuit though I might join them) and one for lifting the cutting height.  

Prior owner "fit" the mower to his land so he adjusted the height adjusters and left the hose to the cylinders unattached.  He used the two ports on his tractor to operate the left/right wings independent of each other.

Though it's not recommended and dangerous, because this is a hydraulic mower, you can raise the wings to a 90 degree angle and they will still work.  So, if you want to cut the items starting to poke THROUGH your fence or property line, you can trim them back (up to maybe 6' in height)  Later models of this have safety switches in them so if the wing is lifted beyond 45 degrees, the wing shuts down (or maybe the whole thing??  I don't know)

Alamo now makes this mower under their name instead of Terrain King.

http://www.alamo-industrial.com/Products/ProductView.asp?ProductID=69

Essentially same mower but the new version is of course more pretty and has some safety features that I'm doubting mine has (but don't yet know)

that's wild, I looked at that same site earlier, off a search, where I saw fresh yellow paint, because there was a tad of old yeller on the multiplier, I only bookmarked another site for a woods 110315 rotary 15' footer... glad the tractor is in your hands now... today's the day, enjoy... as in P. Harveys speech in 1978 to the Future Farmers of America…. on the 8th day....  tame cantankerous machinery.....