Been Jeeping in Ouray and Telluride

Jeff Matthews

The last few days, I've literally been at the top of the world.  My friends and I took off on a road trip to Ouray, Colorado.  They have a Jeep, and we've been going over the highest, most-treacherous mountain passes. 

I got out and walked up front to get a picture of our ascent.  
See that rocky ridge behind us?

IMG_20180922_125942.thumb.jpg.59a8c658762bd6a01a9fbe00ab282a70.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Looks like fun, but it wouldn't take much to be very dangerous. 

It would be a little scary to not be the one with the steering wheel and brake pedal, but even then it would be easy to mess up.

Great views and a cool place to just take pictures all day.  What were the temperatures like, I would imagine it could swing pretty dramatically at different times of the year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

It would be a little scary to not be the one with the steering wheel and brake pedal...

Oh, it was!  There were a number of times when I just closed my eyes and leaned to the side opposite of the abyss (like leaning would actually make a difference, lol).  It's definitely a white-knuckle ride.  Some spots are quite narrow, and the wheels are about 1 1/2 feet from the edge.  What makes it even more challenging is when Jeeps are coming from the opposite direction.  There are frequent spots which are wide enough to allow them to squeeze by as you come within inches of touching rearview mirrors.  Sometimes, you have to back up to get to these spots.  Some Jeeps have axles that are independent, and they can climb the wall and sit sideways as you pass.

The temperatures have been great.  Between short-sleeve and long-sleeve weather.  The temp. changes have not been all that extreme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like a fun trip. Beautiful scenery out there. If you make it to Silverton (which I have not yet), you may want to visit the place in this quote from forum member @Bill W., "We demo the Jubilees in Silverton Colorado at Natalia’s Restaurant on the outdoor patio. Used for live performances and recorded music May through October. Really an outstanding speaker system for outdoor applications and incredible dynamics for live performances." 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:13 AM, Jeff Matthews said:
The last few days, I've literally been at the top of the world.  My friends and I took off on a road trip to Ouray, Colorado.  They have a Jeep, and we've been going over the highest, most-treacherous mountain passes. 

I got out and walked up front to get a picture of our ascent.  
See that rocky ridge behind us?

IMG_20180922_125942.thumb.jpg.59a8c658762bd6a01a9fbe00ab282a70.jpg

Stunning I guess!!  I was having high-altitude breathing problems at the time and afraid to irreversibly commit to 13,000' passes, but this is even scarier than I imagined.  Ouray was unimaginably beautiful, what a great place to live for scenery and small town pleasure.

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is not far from there, makes a nice side trip, but nothing like what you went through here.  Congratulations on finding and doing this trek!  Really very daring.