Heresy III

Mass

Hello Everyone,

I'm taking my first steps to building a sound system for dj/live music nights rooted in electronic music as well as ancient music from around the world. The venues will be bars and spaces holding about 50 to 100 people. I can't afford the Klipschorns yet and was wondering if a pair of Heresy III would be enough for the aforementioned spaces? Of course volume is important, but the listening experience is the most important. I'm wondering if the Heresy III can deliver over crowds ranging from rowdy dancers to listening dancers?

Thank you,

Ross

I think you'd be better off looking for a used Klipsch Pro system. JMHO, of course.

I have HIII's and Khorns. Couldn’t imagine lugging the Khorns from venue to venue. They're heavy and a little hard to handle due to their shape. The HIII's might not achieve the volume an 100 person bar requires. 

Best of luck! Welcome to our little corner of insanity. 

Cincy

• Like 2

The khorns would be too fragile and cumbersome to haul around. As mentioned, look for some used klipsch pro gear. It's all made with plywood.

HIIs and newer are all veneered mdf. They can last a lifetime in a living room... hauled around not so much.

Where are you located?

Bruce

• Like 1

The 3's would work fine but if I were moving them from venue to venue I would either buy an older set of KP 201, 250 or 262's. If you want new I would special order some KI-272 or 262 and have the factory add corner covers and pole cups, handles. Then get two subs and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you need LaScala's, stands to get them up high, and a big sub to get an impressive result.

HIII are fine in a quiet living room where the noise floor may be 40 dB and loud music is up around 90 dB, the room is fairly live, and listening distance is 10 feet or so.  What is impressive  for a living room just does not cut it for larger noisy environments.

Let me suggest you get a sound pressure meter such as the Radio Shack types.  There are others which will not break the bank.  Use it to measure the sound level at the type of bar you're contemplating.  I think you'll find you're dealing with an 80 dB floor to begin with.

WMcD

• Like 1

Where are you located?   I have a set of Klipsch  kp 302s for sale as well as two pair of JBL SR4735XF.   The jbls are "full range".   PM me if you wish.   You need big guns for electronic music. No way a pair of heresys, La Scalas or k horns makes sense there.   You want something portable with handles that doesn't require a Monster amp to power (you don't know what kind of power amperage wise is available to you).   I have done several (electronic) small shows with two tops and two single 18" subs with fantastic results and great headroom.   

Hello Ross and welcome to the forum!   Hmmmmm...  Many things involved here.  Portability?  Getting it to the venue and have help loading/unloading?  Money?  Got it???  You're gonna eat it up if you want to do it right!  RIGHT is the ONLY way to go IF you want to be a "repeat offender" in those bars and clubs.  You mention running the gammit as far as patrons go...  Load your butt up then cause it's on YOU!  Cover the bases.  You're the one who typed "rowdy."  YOUR GIG!  IMO Heresy's aren't gonna cut it.  Sure they'll sound great but ya really want to beat them up?  They gonna fill a 250 person venue if you get the call?  Prolly not.  Ya want some "beaters" that sound fantastic I think.  You'll also find these guys here know their stuff and WILL help you.  None of us here are "right."  You're off on the right foot w/some of them that are commenting...  They know!  I'd look more "pro-line" and spend the $$ on a rebuild of some of stuff out there.  You can get an idea but you need something that's durable you can lug.  It's your system, nose, ask, and hang around a bit.  BUILD IT and put your name on it.  The info is sitting here w/many of the members.  Ask and hang with us cause we can't build it for you.   :)  

35 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Here is an article about a guy who started roving dance parties, using 2 Khorns and 2 cornwalls.

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/06/david-mancuso-interview

Great read! 

But, he wasn’t moving Khorns place to place to hold loft parties! 

Didn’t his niece or maybe daughter, launch the Clasic Album Sunday concept? 

Cincy

David Mancuso is a LEGEND to so many people.    I slipped in there once after an invite from a friend.  Unreal atmosphere.  No plastic people in there at ALL.  A just like home atmosphere.  He actually took the time to KNOW who was there!   Amazing guy...    Thinking there's a spin off somewhere in London now but not sure.  

• Like 1

David Mancuso is a LEGEND to so many people.    I slipped in there once after an invite from a friend.  Unreal atmosphere.  No plastic people in there at ALL.  A just like home atmosphere.  He actually took the time to KNOW who was there!   Amazing guy...    Thinking there's a spin off somewhere in London now but not sure.  

Pretty sure he had 7 Klipschorns in a room. He removed the top hat and elevated it about 6-8 feet to get the squawker and tweeter above the heads of partiers. Groovy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hahahaha I can remember people in there blowing up ballllloooon's and hanging them.  Kids in there with them...  Don't really remember much else but the system he had was incredible...  His record selection was all over the place, which is what I still do to this day.  Zep to Capt n Tenille...  hahahaha...  It all worked.  Aside from that I don't remember much except it was a great time.  hahaha..  Whew!  Survived another one!  :)

• Moderators
9 hours ago, cincymat said:

Great read! 

But, he wasn’t moving Khorns place to place to hold loft parties! 

Didn’t his niece or maybe daughter, launch the Clasic Album Sunday concept? 

Cincy

His protege, Colleen "Cosmo" Murphy, who also started Lucky Cloud Sound System in London.

Mancuso was moving Khorns from place to place until he got his Loft space.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Here it is.  I bet that sounded fantastic:

image.png.11be4ddf71518fc22dda17a26c75d56a.png

Here's an article about the "Lucky Cloud Soundsystem":

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3123?comments=1

That is the London offshoot of the Loft,  started by Coleen Murphy and others.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

The khorns would be too fragile and cumbersome to haul around. As mentioned, look for some used klipsch pro gear. It's all made with plywood.

Bruce-

I respectfully disagree.  As mentioned numerous time before, I used four plywood Speakerlab SKhorns in the 70s for a mobile DJ biz.  A handtruck made it easy to move each around.  They didn’t require stands, there was no worry that they might disappear and they filled gymnasiums with efficient high volume low distortion horn loaded bass without the need for a subwoofer.  I used the wood from the plywood shipping crates to enclose the backs.  I think PWK stole my idea. 😉

It was fun watching the reaction as I unloaded the first one.  Typically, some kid would ask in awe, “Is that a speaker?”  I’d reply, “Yes, and there are three more.”

”Fragile” was never a problem.

All said, I agree with your recommendation regarding used Klipsch pro gear.

• Like 2