Heresy III

Mass

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Just saw this and thanks @dwilawyer  I knew the pic of the place w/the balloons didn't look right but I do remember balloons around the place I was in.  I was invited to go by Sol Handwerger who I think worked for Capitol records in NYC.  Early 70's timeline somewhere. 

This should look familar

wpid-tumblr_lb8vaug0jz1qzsrvz.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Bruce-

I respectfully disagree.  As mentioned numerous time before, I used four plywood Speakerlab SKhorns in the 70s for a mobile DJ biz.  A handtruck made it easy to move each around.  They didn’t require stands, there was no worry that they might disappear and they filled gymnasiums with efficient high volume low distortion horn loaded bass without the need for a subwoofer.  I used the wood from the plywood shipping crates to enclose the backs.  I think PWK stole my idea. 😉

It was fun watching the reaction as I unloaded the first one.  Typically, some kid would ask in awe, “Is that a speaker?”  I’d reply, “Yes, and there are three more.”

”Fragile” was never a problem.

All said, I agree with your recommendation regarding used Klipsch pro gear.

Klipsch started using more mdf on the Khorns in the '80s. Respectfully, I stand by what I posted. You can get horn loaded boxes from the pro area, Klipsch or others, that will be more portable and likely hold up better over time. 😉