'56/'57 Klipschorn restoration/repair

Klipschguy

Greetings,

I am helping to restore a pair of 1950s Klipschorns (one is 1956, the other 1957). 

Firstly, both tweeters have issues.  One tweeter is a University 4401 mounted in front of a K5J horn; the voice coil is open.  The network is a "Klipsch Balancing Network 500-5000".  Important question: Is this 4401 a 16 ohm tweeter? 

The second tweeter is in a 1956 Khorn, but has a factory K77 with a chrome horn, gray magnet, and Klipsch logo. It sits on top of a K400/K55.  (I am speculating the previous owner bought some "upgrade parts" from Klipsch to replace the original K5J/4401 horns that would normally be found in a 1956 Khorn, probably sometime in the early 1960s.)  The K77 voice coil gives 50+ ohms of resistance.  I know K77s are generally 8 ohms, but did they ever use 16 ohms versions?  BTW, I plan on using the stock crossovers and just replacing the old, oil caps with the original values. 

Secondly, one woofer is a K33-J, and other is a Stephens Trusonic 103LX2.  Both voice coils are open.  Question:  Where is the best place to recone them?   Or, is it time to punt and put a modern pair of K33s inside.  Note: Both Khorns have the 6" x 13" slot; the 6" x 13" slots will remain regardless.

Best,

Klipschguy

I won't be any help on where to purchase classic raw driver's, but as far as determining what the impedance is on the individual driver's, why not use an ohm meter and measure it. Also most speakers have the impedance stamped on the magnet area. This is a long shot, but how bout getting ahold of Klipsch themselves and see if they might have or know of anyone that specializes in vintage Khorns and their parts. Getting ahold of a 1956-57 schematic would be priceless. Their was a guy on eBay a few months back selling a set of early Khorns, don't know if he's still out there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies.

Okay, I have more info:

1) The K77 now works.  The contacts were very dirty thus giving an abnormally high reading of 50+ ohms. The K77 is indeed 16 ohms as Frzninvt stated.

2) The University 4401 has an open voice coil.  I have read contradictory information regarding the Khorn/University 4401 tweeter's impedance; 8, 12, and 16 ohms have been suggested.  Maybe somebody has a stock Klipsch/University 4401 they could measure, or have already measured to settle the impedance question?

3) Regarding the Stephens woofer.  The voice coil is good (it measures 4 ohms), but has a bad solder joint; it looks like it can be resoldered.

4) The K33-J has an open coil.  Does anybody know a good shop to recone this speaker?

Best,

Klipschguy

I have a gold 4401/Mid-T tweeter that appears to work.  The DCR is 7.0 ohms.  I also have an SA-HF that works.  They were to be parts to build or repair a Shorthorn I hoped to buy.   That project is dead and I no longer need them.  If you could, PM me and we'll work a deal.  

The woofers can be reconed.  Check the opening in the woofer motor board.  If it is 6" x 13" stay with older woofers, ebay.  If 3 x 13, order new K-33-Es or buy Crites replacements.  It will be as cheap or cheaper than a recone. 

20 hours ago, Klipschguy said:

Greetings,

I am helping to restore a pair of 1950s Klipschorns (one is 1956, the other 1957). 

Are these the 999 ones from eaby in Perrysville/Havre de Grace, MD? If not sorry for the thread hijack. If so you say "helping" who bought them? I'd seen them on CList for a ridiculous $3K then on ebay with a more realistic starting bid. They were about 10 minutes form my house, but I just didn't need any more speakers let alone a project. I was very happy to see they sold, as I was afraid with the estate sale looming and the people wanting them out they might end up parted out, used for scrap wood or in a dumpster. Again happy they found a home. Best of luck getting them back to their former glory. Any chance you helped pick them up? If so did you see an Jazz LPs that might be offered in the sale or other interesting items?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 7:32 AM, Klipschguy said:

Greetings,

Firstly, both tweeters have issues.  One tweeter is a University 4401 mounted in front of a K5J horn; the voice coil is open.  The network is a "Klipsch Balancing Network 500-5000".  Important question: Is this 4401 a 16 ohm tweeter? 

The second tweeter is in a 1956 Khorn, but has a factory K77 with a chrome horn, gray magnet, and Klipsch logo. It sits on top of a K400/K55.  (I am speculating the previous owner bought some "upgrade parts" from Klipsch to replace the original K5J/4401 horns that would normally be found in a 1956 Khorn, probably sometime in the early 1960s.)  The K77 voice coil gives 50+ ohms of resistance.  I know K77s are generally 8 ohms, but did they ever use 16 ohms versions?  BTW, I plan on using the stock crossovers and just replacing the old, oil caps with the original values. 

Secondly, one woofer is a K33-J, and other is a Stephens Trusonic 103LX2.  Both voice coils are open.  Question:  Where is the best place to recone them?   Or, is it time to punt and put a modern pair of K33s inside.  Note: Both Khorns have the 6" x 13" slot; the 6" x 13" slots will remain regardless.

Best,

Klipschguy

I just purchased a pair of Khorns from ebay -- one is 1954 and the other 1957. They have the Trusonic 103 LX2s in them and they are beasts. The mid and tweeter are from University.  I would like  to replace these but don't want to part with the Trusonics any time soon.  I have a pair of K 33 Ps with the square magnets (from what year I do not know) and have them in the bass bins presently  as the 103s are being serviced (some excellent people in Southern California)   but prefer the Trusonics.  The Klipsch people recommended keeping the crossovers stock but for replacing the caps.  They mentioned as old as they are, Paul Klipsch probably hand wound the crossover coils.  But they are designed to work with 16 ohm mids and tweeters and am not sure what I can or should update the mids/tweeters and still keep the crossovers.   Sounds like another call to Klipsch might be good, but if anyone has some helpful information it would be appreciated.  Kind regards, Dan

On 9/24/2018 at 12:55 PM, Klipschguy said:

The tweeter issue is solved.  A 16 ohm T-35 will be used in lieu of the University 4401 to basically match the other speaker.

I'm glad.  I believe PWK told a  Speaker Builder interviewer that the University 4401 was "a sad tweeter," but was the best available at the time, and that it had a sizeable peak at 8K.  He replaced it with the K77 (selected, tested EV T35) in about 1957.  I like the T35/K77; some don't.  A couple of forum members installed "upgrades" and went back to K77s.  One writer said "they never meet their EV frequency response specs," but I have had three pairs, one pair from directly from EV, one in 1982 Khorns, and one post EV pair in AK4 upgrades, all of which met the specs/graph EV published.  The AK4 pair had close frequency response curves, and Audyssey managed to make them identical in FR, which Audyssey couldn't achieve with the K55X/K401 or the K-33E.